Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sony Nex3

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Sony Nex3

For those that want a camera with more power than a point and shoot, but portability is also a concern, I recommend the Sony Nex line. Nex3's have been clearanced at Target for as low as $150 and are at Fry's now for $299 (original price was $600, but this model is discontinued). I have played around with one and I want to pull the trigger, but unfortunately no Fry's in my area. Hopefully there is a good online deal soon, so I can order one. Wanted to pass this along for others to take advantage of.

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Note that there is no middle ground on the UI with these cameras - you either love it or hate it.

I hate it.

That said, the sensor performance is pretty amazing.

The UI and the very limited lens lineup pushed me to micro four thirds, and I have been very happy
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Note that there is no middle ground on the UI with these cameras - you either love it or hate it.

I hate it.

That said, the sensor performance is pretty amazing.

The UI and the very limited lens lineup pushed me to micro four thirds, and I have been very happy
Agreed on the UI, but I have been told that you can use old Minolta lenses with an adapter (haven't confirmed this yet).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:53 pm

You can get adaptors to mount just about any "legacy" lens on any of the mirrorless systems (Sony, micro four thirds, Samsung)
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW; you'll probably not find this anywhere in stock any more - and the only ones left may be the demo units. Sony outlet stores usually have the refurb for $330, which is still a pretty decent deal.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
FWIW; you'll probably not find this anywhere in stock any more - and the only ones left may be the demo units. Sony outlet stores usually have the refurb for $330, which is still a pretty decent deal.
With quite a few phone calls, I was able to track one down last night for a price of $299! It will have a few less bells and whistles than the new model, but really excited about using the camera.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I was tempted (and Sony's current sensors are remarkable). There were some cracking airport bargains in the UK for the NEX3 + 16mm. I doubt I would have liked the UI though.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
I was tempted (and Sony's current sensors are remarkable). There were some cracking airport bargains in the UK for the NEX3 + 16mm. I doubt I would have liked the UI though.
I should receive mine next week and I will post a review here. You are correct that the UI is bad.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...x7overview.asp

The Nex7 is coming soon - I started a discussion in the Travel Photography forum, where this thread should probably end up. Lots of comments and opinions about this product line over there.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...x7overview.asp

The Nex7 is coming soon - I started a discussion in the Travel Photography forum, where this thread should probably end up. Lots of comments and opinions about this product line over there.
I couldn't find a thread on the Travel Photography section.

I have my NEX-7 on preorder. I already have a NEX-5 and a NEX-VG10. I'll probably keep my NEX-5 and put it in an underwater housing to replace my Sanyo CA9.

The only thing I wish is that they would use phase detection instead of contrast for the autofocus, and have a larger, cheaper, lens selection. A truly pocketable size would also be good. That is the only reason I keep my Leica D-Lux 4 around still, the NEX-5 IQ blows it away. Panasonic recently announced collapsing lenses for m43.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
I couldn't find a thread on the Travel Photography section.

I have my NEX-7 on preorder. I already have a NEX-5 and a NEX-VG10. I'll probably keep my NEX-5 and put it in an underwater housing to replace my Sanyo CA9.

The only thing I wish is that they would use phase detection instead of contrast for the autofocus, and have a larger, cheaper, lens selection. A truly pocketable size would also be good. That is the only reason I keep my Leica D-Lux 4 around still, the NEX-5 IQ blows it away. Panasonic recently announced collapsing lenses for m43.
They also announced an emount PDAF adapter that will allow you to use those large cheap lenses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.