Wiki Posts
Search

Need Recommendations for DVD to iPad 2 DVD Rip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Need Recommendations for DVD to iPad 2 DVD Rip

New iPad 2 owner and interested in best path to get DVD's onto the iPad 2 to watch on planes, trains and whatever.

Rookie at iPad and ripping process so please be gentle! iTunes is on a Windows XP PC.

Many thanks,
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLB404
New iPad 2 owner and interested in best path to get DVD's onto the iPad 2 to watch on planes, trains and whatever.

Rookie at iPad and ripping process so please be gentle! iTunes is on a Windows XP PC.

Many thanks,
I use the Cucusoft DVD to iPad converter. Very easy to use.

One thing I found, I had to change the max file size from the default of 1g to 2g , otherwise some long movies would be split into 2 files.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Many thanks,
I use MakeMKV to extract video (.mkv) off of the DVD (and even Blu-ray) disc. Then I use Daniusoft iPad Converter to convert the .mkv into .mp4 for my iPad.

I keep both files: the .mkv file is full original quality and I can play it on my TVs at home, and of course the .mp4 I use on the iPad.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No need to rip. Just download a player such as VLC that can play files in any format. VLC used to be available in the app store and was taken off. Not sure if its back but there are other apps that do the same thing.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
DVDFab Ripper works well for me. It's around $40 but super simple.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:26 pm

I rip on a Mac, but I use HandBrake, which is cross platform. Free and fairly easy to use with iPad and other kinds of presets.
http://handbrake.fr/
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
Originally Posted by wcj1
I rip on a Mac, but I use HandBrake, which is cross platform. Free and fairly easy to use with iPad and other kinds of presets.
http://handbrake.fr/
I use Handbrake too. It is a full-featured app with a lot of presets. It's great for the iPad. Just make sure to update VLC if you use it.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by everdown
I use Handbrake too. It is a full-featured app with a lot of presets. It's great for the iPad. Just make sure to update VLC if you use it.
Make it a third for Handbrake. As long as you just do one movie at a time it is the easiest way to go yet gives you enough flexibility to fine tune things if you feel the need.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
Originally Posted by mgchan
Make it a third for Handbrake. As long as you just do one movie at a time it is the easiest way to go yet gives you enough flexibility to fine tune things if you feel the need.
Add another vote for Handbreak. It just works.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
I use iSkysoft media converter. Seems to work fairly well, but doesn't provide chapter breaks (not sure any of them do??) from what I can tell.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

How do you guys manage the encryption?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:27 am

Many thanks,
You can try to use the brorsoft dvd ripper which I'm using and have not found any problem yet. It is easy to use and the converted videos are played smoothly.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:32 am

You can try to use the brorsoft dvd ripper. I'm using it now and have not found any problem yet. The converted videos can be played smoothly.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
I use handbrake as well. I've only encountered a few DVD's that wouldn't rip due to encryption out of probably 50 or 60 I've converted.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by geepmaley
I use iSkysoft media converter. Seems to work fairly well, but doesn't provide chapter breaks (not sure any of them do??) from what I can tell.
I also use iSkysoft on a Windows 7 PC and it works just fine and seems to handle encryption automagically. I selected it because it was a free download with some promo code from fatwallet last August when I got my iPad. Figured if it didn't work I'd try something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.