Wiki Posts
Search

What to do, which gizmos, for Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, HH
What to do, which gizmos, for Europe?

I'm going to Europe for 2 months. England, Poland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Malta and Finland (the latter only for 30 hours). Now, I need a phone to phone/text friends within Europe, and, of course, I also need a camera to take lots of photos of my trip.

I already have a phone, a Nokia 6300. It's great, but it's locked to optus. So, pretty much useless overseas, and I'm not even going to think about using international roaming and paying optus for that. We also have a nice camera, but as I'll be travelling with my parents, and then we split up...well, they're going to Malta for a bit, before going back home to work, while I head off to Poland. So, as we both want to take photos, of course, I was thinking maybe I should get another camera.

Now, I've been looking at camera phones, which give the best of both worlds, and have narrowed it down to a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. Everyone says Android is better than the iPhone, and whether or not that is the case, this phone is thinner than the iPhone, and takes better pictures overall (especially in low light). Also, if I get an Xperia Arc, there's always the option to listen to a bit of music, if I really want. Only one question, I don't quite understand all that jargon about GSM and 3G and all, but an Xperia Arc should work in the countries mentioned above, right?

However, the other option would be to unlock my current phone (how the heck one does that, I dunno, maybe Optus but then they'd charge an arm and a leg). And then buy a digital camera. So, take both. But this means I'd be carrying around 2 chargers as well, and maybe I'd look like a tourist with a camera all the time (although I completely understand that a smartphone would make me look fancy too). If I wanted music, my friend is happy to let me borrow his ipod, but then that's a 3rd charger too.

Now, you might suggest I get both a new camera and the Xperia Arc. But I'm only prepared to buy one or the other. So, the question is, what would you suggest, and, especially, would I be able to get away with the Xperia Arc alone as my camera?

Or, if I got an iPhone 4. The camera isn't as good, but could I get away with that alone for my camera and phones needs? The only thing is, I have an Apple Macbook. Would I be able to upload music to an Xperia Arc with the Macbook, and download the photos from the Xperia Arc to my macbook?

Last edited by Catweazle; Jun 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:24 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Optus will unlock your 6300 over the phone for free (or a small fee), and it's a good device for your SMS and voice needs in Europe. Read the sticky at the top about prepaid SIM cards.

If you're going OS for a huge trip, take a decent camera!! Think about this - you'll have lifetime photos, a good point and shoot won't cost a lot to ensure you have good ones, especially when you need to use a flash.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by willyroo
If you're going OS for a huge trip, take a decent camera!! Think about this - you'll have lifetime photos, a good point and shoot won't cost a lot to ensure you have good ones, especially when you need to use a flash.
+1, also consider something like this. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...100-LN&cat=TAB

We journal on our trips, type in what we did each day then i add pictures. If you had a phone + camera, and this with cam and video, and all the apps, might be a good, light option. Dont know if you can get something similar down under.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.