Wiki Posts
Search

minimally-sized alarm clock?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
minimally-sized alarm clock?

I am looking for a small, LOUD alarm clock mainly for my travels in Asia. Anyone have a favorite? Let me emphasize again that it must be LOUD as I need to sleep with earplugs so it's got to penetrate that. I have a Brookstone sound machine type alarm that isn't loud enough. And I no longer need the white noise generator part so I am look for something that is smaller as well.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use my phone, which I can set to be pretty loud. And I don't need to carry anything extra.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I also use my cell phon (set to LOUD), backed up with digital watch. Also request for hotel wake-up call. Won't miss any appointment this way
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Is it genuinely volume, or is it finding an annoying enough noise to cut through your sleep? For me, the ability to program what sound is used is the biggest advantage to a cell/smartphone.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:20 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
The problem, of course, with using a cell phone (and I do), is that you need to be sure it is charged and will not run down before it is supposed to wake you up.

Ask PGA golfer Jim Furyk about that
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I generally don't bother taking my phone with me when I travel overseas.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vulcan
The problem, of course, with using a cell phone (and I do), is that you need to be sure it is charged and will not run down before it is supposed to wake you up.

Ask PGA golfer Jim Furyk about that
Don't people plug their phones in at night anyway? I always do...never understood why people wouldn't.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I use my phone...
So do I. However, I almost missed a flight one time when my phone...crashed. Sometime between the time I went to bed and the time I woke up in a start, my BB Curve crashed. Only time in 3+ years that it crashed.

A hotel wake-up call set for 5 minutes after my phone would have solved that problem

My iPhone decided to wake me up 1 hour early last time (in NA) that we changed the clocks back...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:42 am

I use my phone as an alarm clock too. But I'm often in places where I need to set my ringer to vibrate. The trick is to remember to turn the ringer back on before I hit the sack.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I generally don't bother taking my phone with me when I travel overseas.
If your phone is a locked or US-only model, you can buy a cheap phone/smartphone that you can use without a SIM or with a local prepaid SIM (or PDA sans phone, like an iPod touch.)

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Don't people plug their phones in at night anyway? I always do...never understood why people wouldn't.
Other than forgetting, I can't see why either. It's the most convenient time to charge it.

Originally Posted by boberonicus
I use my phone as an alarm clock too. But I'm often in places where I need to set my ringer to vibrate. The trick is to remember to turn the ringer back on before I hit the sack.
Some phones (or some alarm clock applications, if you're dealing with smartphones) have a "sound alarm even if phone is silenced" option.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm also interested in the OP's question.

I don't carry my cellphone because I don't use it abroad. I do always take (and need) an alarm clock. I'm always either staying in hostels or camping or staying somewhere without reliable power. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a reliable, light, durable compact alarm clock. Each one I have gotten lasts a couple trips and then fails for some reason.

I do wear a couple watches that have alarms, but they aren't loud enough to do the job.

Maybe I will have to check out the carabiner/watch combos I've seen. They always looked a bit sketchy, but I've thrown away a small fortune on other travel alarms that always break down.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I have a Nexus One, the T-Mob version that is GSM quad band. But the places I go and the way I travel I basically don't need or want a phone with me. So I leave it at home and just take my tiny Zen Mosiac mp3 player for music on the plane and so forth.

I did find this http://alarmclocksonline.com/TravelBOOM.htm and it seems like it might fit the bill. Supposed to be 90 db which should be plenty loud and it includes a pillow shaker.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I have a Nexus One, the T-Mob version that is GSM quad band. But the places I go and the way I travel I basically don't need or want a phone with me. So I leave it at home and just take my tiny Zen Mosiac mp3 player for music on the plane and so forth.
I've got a N1 too. I just leave it in airplane mode and use it as a clock/mp3 player when I travel overseas.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Most mp3 players include alarm functions.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Most mp3 players include alarm functions.
This I did not know. I have an MP3 player somewhere, but I never use it. I'm sure it doesn't have an alarm, but I might look into picking one up just for that purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.