Google two-factor authentication aka SecureID for the masses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ogle-security/

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/0...-for-your.html

I haven't tried this yet so I can't really comment on how well it works, or if it is available on all accounts yet, though I thought it may be of some use to other FTers. Basically it enhances the security of your Gmail account so that you enter your password then go to an app on your phone (BB, Android, iOS) and get a numeric passcode that you also have to enter that is only valid for one session. In other words for anyone who has ever used SecureID at work its basically the same thing as the key fob that changes every 60 seconds.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a lot of hassle to read email.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Sounds like a lot of hassle to read email.
It depends how big the hassle is if someone gets into your mailbox without your permission.

This is obviously not for joe consumer, but it does make the Google Apps platform a good option for corporate use.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I don't know if there is 'an app for that', but hotmail has been offering this for a while. Might make sense for checking email on public computers -- I've personally never availed myself of it.

tb
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
It depends how big the hassle is if someone gets into your mailbox without your permission.
When you put it like that...OK, fine.

Just tried to set it up, but it just says that 2-step verification will be coming soon to my account.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I have the app on my iPhone which gives you a code valid for 30 seconds to log into your GMail... Never got it to work. I used a public computer and my GMail was sending out spam. Bad day haha
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Much more value to corporate customers or small businesses. Or those that use the service as a primary account. I set mine to forward and almost never log in directly (and never do from a public computer).

Where I might use this is for traveling when I need to print a boarding pass or document from a hotel/other public computer. With this, I'd feel more comfortable emailing the document to the gmail account and logging in from one of those computers.

I also saw that Google has some kind of security feature for use with clients like MS office.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
I have been using Verisign VIP on my blackberry for ebay and paypal for more than a year. I would suggest that everyone should be using it.

http://www.verisign.com/authenticati...ile/index.html

I already was using RSA on my blackberry for work so no real learning curve at all.

I only wish I could find a Canadian bank that supports two-factor authentication for personal accounts.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:03 pm

You can set it to only authenticate on each computer once. This makes it less of a pain and strongly decreases your risk of being phished.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I've been using it a while via Google Apps and it does work pretty well. The only frustration is when I wipe my Android phone to run a new ROM or whatever. It's a pain to make sure I'm near a PC to get a code from the list of static codes they issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.