Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

The importance of backups

The importance of backups

Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by stueys
On a separate note does anyone ever test a restore? I haven't but I guess I could be deluding myself with my backup without doing that right? Something to ponder..
That's something I also wondered about. Unless you have a spare pc lying around with exactly the same hardware spec as the one backed up, you can't do a full restore until the time comes that you actually need it. I guess you can try to see if you can access random files in the backup copy, and hope everything went OK if there's no problem.

Oh, and afterwards don't forget to backup the backups!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Thanks for motivating me to backup all my music, photos and documents. Fired up my HP Media Vault and took care of business. Guess the next step is to put another copy off site.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure I'd miss any of my personal data that much to jump through the hoops some do, I'll stick with my Time Capsule. Having lost unbacked up drives in the past, life goes on.
Back in the 80s, a disk crash cost me the script and midi files of a musical I had worked on for 2 years. Worse, once when I was moving, I accidentally threw out 40+ years worth of home movies. Fortunately, I had copied them to video which I have subsequently digitized. You'd better believe I'd keep that backed up.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Thanks for motivating me to backup all my music, photos and documents. Fired up my HP Media Vault and took care of business. Guess the next step is to put another copy off site.
That's great! You won't regret taking some time to do so. Photos are in particular irreplaceable.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure I'd miss any of my personal data that much to jump through the hoops some do, I'll stick with my Time Capsule. Having lost unbacked up drives in the past, life goes on.
Depends what you have I guess, I've all my photos of when I was a kid right through to my two children growing up. Unless Back to the Future starts looking much more realistic that's all irreplaceable and, to me, priceless.

The music and personal files would be a considerable inconvenience, but that's all
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, Hertz Gold, United, Delta Skymiles,
Thanks, I'll try this. I also try the restore and let you know!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
I would add:

3) Those who had a backup and it didn't work and now keep multiple backups on different media in different locations.

My current approach is RAID 1 on main system + Nightly backup to two separate disks (NAS + USB) + critical/current files on Drop Box.

Drop Box has the additional advantage that I have access to files from my desktop and laptop at all times, plus they are stored in the cloud if everything breaks.
I recommend three copies. The original, your desktop or laptop, and two backups.

At home, I backup to a 2TB eSATA hard drive (external). From there, I use Carbonite to back up the external hard drive.

At work, I have a central backup server that I push my desktop backups to. From there, we write to tape overnight and take offsite daily.

Hard drives crash. Google did a study on their hard drives (there probably have millions). About 8% failure a year. Backup your data.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by jbdk

At home, I backup to a 2TB eSATA hard drive (external). From there, I use Carbonite to back up the external hard drive.
I understood that Carbonite will not back up network drives, external drives, or NAS drives. Is this is no longer the case, or have I missed something?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Viz the restore question, depends if you are just restoring the data or just the OS or the OS+data.

In the worse case scenario of catastrophic h/w failure I like to keep a Virtual Machine (using VMWare) on hand that I can fire up on just about any PC with some decent RAM in it. Just use VMWare converter to make a live back of the target machine. If the physical machine dies, gets stolen etc. you fire up the VMWare copy in minutes and be away.

Also, provides some comfort you can actually login on to it and see it really works, before you need to for real. Handy if your OS and apps do not change much. And it's free!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Before backing up, I always tell my family and friends to organize.

For years, I've been using a fairly simple system for organizing my files, which makes it easy to back them up - I always have two drives in my computers, one for OS and apps, and the other for data. Documents, music, photos, videos, and even various system settings and application configuration data, are all kept on my D: drive. Sometimes D: is a separate physical drive, sometimes it's just a separate partition, but keeping the data separate allows me to easily sync it across all of my PCs and backup media, and allows me to easily re-install the OS and apps in the event of a system failure.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I'm a total computer dummy. Never heard of a RAID or a NAS or a FAT32, NTFS, Ext3 or Linux SWAP.

Heck, I still have a Motorola Razr flip phone and don't own a laptop .... but am thinking about living on the wild side -- for the first time seriously considering an iPad and a SmartPhone sometime this year. Woo-hoo!

Am I totally foolish to pay for Mozy? They just sent out an announcement today, that their prices are going up with the next renewal cycle; their cheapest option is 50 GB usage, $120.00 for a two-year contract. Currently, their notice indicated that I am using a big-ol', whopping 0.50 gigabite!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Am I totally foolish to pay for Mozy? They just sent out an announcement today, that their prices are going up with the next renewal cycle; their cheapest option is 50 GB usage, $120.00 for a two-year contract. Currently, their notice indicated that I am using a big-ol', whopping 0.50 gigabite!
If that's all you use, just burn your backups on DVD. Way cheaper and just keep an extra copy in your office. Use DVD-RW and you can re-use the same DVD for a long time. (Also prevents from throwing out your old backups and allowing snoops in your trash to take them.)
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KarlJ
I understood that Carbonite will not back up network drives, external drives, or NAS drives. Is this is no longer the case, or have I missed something?
You need to mount the external drive. My external drive looks like a folder on the C drive.

Last edited by jbdk; Feb 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by jbdk
You need to mount the external drive. My external drive looks like a folder on the C drive.
Ah, so! That's a little Greek to me, but I'll look it over. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by KIXman
That's something I also wondered about. Unless you have a spare pc lying around with exactly the same hardware spec as the one backed up, you can't do a full restore until the time comes that you actually need it.
You can test the restore operation on a blank hard disk. Keep the original in a safe place in case the restore fails. The computer will be tied up during the restore test however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.