Wireless TV

Old Jan 14, 11, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Wireless TV

A non traveling technology question here.

I would like to put a few extra LCD monitors or TVs in the house without any additional cable boxes, wall outlets etc (bathrooms, kitchen, patio etc). Channel changing from those particular locations is not critical - I can control it from the source location. Is there any way to send a signal over wifi from my regular TV source and have a small easy to hide receiver next to each TV?

The only option I found comes from the annoying x10 camera folks (remember those irritating popups from 8-10 years ago?)
http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_wireless_tv_si.html

Is there anything else?
Thanks
Old Jan 14, 11, 5:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Samsung? I think it was samsung, showed some wireless TV's at CES this year. They teamed up with a couple of cable companies, so one box would transmit to the TV's in the house without pulling wires

You could also look into the old VCR Rabbit, not a clue if they still make it or not, but you put one part on the VCR and it sent the signal to the other half attached to the TV.

There are a few products on Amazon that appear to be updated rabbits

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ideo&x=24&y=19
Old Jan 14, 11, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All those analog boxes SUCK - badly.

For my place, I invested in a couple of these: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...:referralID=NA

If you keep en eye open for them, you can find them for under $200. They stream full HD over their own 802.11n transmitters or over wired ethernet.

Oh, and those X10 popups are still very much on their site - they invented them!
Old Jan 14, 11, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You could drop your cable on those TVs and get a Roku box that connects to your wireless Internet and gives you access to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other services. http://www.roku.com/
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:23 am

Programs: LH, SQ, CO, AA
I am not sure if this is what you need, but I just bought an LG 47LH85 wireless TV (47" LCD - 55" was also available) that only requires a 110v TV connection - the rest is wireless from its separate media box. The TV can be placed anywhere in the room (and maybe other rooms?) - I think up to 30 or more feet away from the media box. The picture is stunning almost 3D like. This is a 2010 model, but, I think that it has already been replaced by the 'new' 2011 models, but do not know if wireless model still exists.

Bill
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a Slingbox? I have a Slingbox Pro HD on my home theater, and routinely watch HD (720p) in my home office/studio AND over a wireless (draft N) link in my lan. Work great!
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
How about a Slingbox? I have a Slingbox Pro HD on my home theater, and routinely watch HD (720p) in my home office/studio AND over a wireless (draft N) link in my lan. Work great!
But how would you get the slingbox stream on the TV? You'd need a PC with the sling app on it, or a slingcatcher...
Old Jan 15, 11, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
But how would you get the slingbox stream on the TV? You'd need a PC with the sling app on it, or a slingcatcher...
True. If you don't use Slingcatcher, you could use a netbook (though it would require a graphics chip that's up to the task -- not all of them are).
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Slingcatcher probably the way to go

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
A non traveling technology question here.

I would like to put a few extra LCD monitors or TVs in the house without any additional cable boxes, wall outlets etc (bathrooms, kitchen, patio etc). Channel changing from those particular locations is not critical - I can control it from the source location. Is there any way to send a signal over wifi from my regular TV source and have a small easy to hide receiver next to each TV?

The only option I found comes from the annoying x10 camera folks (remember those irritating popups from 8-10 years ago?)
http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_wireless_tv_si.html

Is there anything else?
Thanks
Slingcatcher with a Slingbox and the Sling powerline networking is probably the way to go
Old Jan 16, 11, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DisneyDude View Post
Slingcatcher with a Slingbox and the Sling powerline networking is probably the way to go
Except of course that the Slingcatcher is almost impossible to find for under $350.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: