iPad Questions

Old Jan 5, 11, 10:25 am
Original Poster

iPad Questions

I was given an Ipad for xmas and so far I've loved it!
2 questions...

1 - When going through ariport security, do I need to remove the ipad from my bag like I do with my laptop?

2 - Is there an easy way to rip a personal dvd into a file to view on itunes? I usually like to watch dvd's on the plane on my my laptop. Since the ipad has no dvd slot, is this possible through itunes?
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:38 am

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Originally Posted by GINZ View Post
I was given an Ipad for xmas and so far I've loved it!
2 questions...

1 - When going through ariport security, do I need to remove the ipad from my bag like I do with my laptop?

2 - Is there an easy way to rip a personal dvd into a file to view on itunes? I usually like to watch dvd's on the plane on my my laptop. Since the ipad has no dvd slot, is this possible through itunes?

1. According to the TSA, technically no. Then again, TSA agents aren't exactly known for staying on top of the latest rules and regulations.

2. Rip your DVD with Handbrake, bring them in iTunes, transfer to iPad
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:38 am

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
I've always removed it and put it on top of my various do-dads for the x-ray machines but have never specifically asked about it.
As far as the ripping goes you can rip the dvds on your home computer and transfer them to your iPad and watch them with programs like, VLC and CineXPlayer. I've had better luck using CineXPlayer but they now charge for the program(around $5, i think)
Hope that helps
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:23 am

+1 CineX. I think it is worth $4.99. I take it out as I do my Kindle because most inspectors, TSA or otherwise, don't know the difference so it is just easier to take it out. No harm done.
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Ok, as far as the ripping part, I'm using a Macbook...does that change which program you would use for ripping the dvd to itunes?

Once the file is moved into Itunes and I want to watch it on the ipad, it wont play in the same player that itunes would launch to play a video purchased/rented through them?
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:42 am

Ok, as far as the ripping part, I'm using a Macbook...does that change which program you would use for ripping the dvd to itunes?

Once the file is moved into Itunes and I want to watch it on the ipad, it wont play in the same player that itunes would launch to play a video purchased/rented through them?
These instructions worked for me to get some of my DVDs onto my iPad for my last family vacation:

http://anders.com/guides/convert/video/iPod/mac.html

As far as security goes, the iPad should be able to stay in it's bag but I've been told at least twice so far to take it out because it "has a hard disk in it and must come out of the bag". I usually take it out just to avoid the risk of having to wait while it's taken out and run back thru the xray again.

Bob
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Never have taken it out of the bag at security and have never been questioned. Then again, this is the TSA so YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ben1979 View Post
1. According to the TSA, technically no. Then again, TSA agents aren't exactly known for staying on top of the latest rules and regulations.
Are you are assuming the OP is in America and only flies in America? I was asked to remove the ipad at LHR and AMS. In fact at LHR they were shouting out at people to remove their iPads. I have to wonder what elderly people who don't know what an Ipad is are thinking when they hear that!

And I too loaded CineXPlayer and a bunch of Disney films for the little one.
Old Jan 5, 11, 1:37 pm

I have not been asked to anywhere nor have I heard any announcements. However I do always remove mine anyway.
Old Jan 5, 11, 2:07 pm

No, handbrake runs on the Mac. You'll also need the "VLC Player" installed. It used to be that VLC version 1.0.2 was required, not sure if that's still the case.
Old Jan 5, 11, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
VLC is great on the Mac OSX but since the new update it is absolutely diabolical on the iPad, every 10 minutes it crashes requiring a reboot. Shame too, used to be amazing to drag and drop files onto the iPad with no transcoding needed

I now use ZumoCast, it can stream videos from any machine connected online, just install the software on each machine you want to stream from. Since I have a media server at home this is great for me both in the UK and abroad. You can also save files to the iPad but this only works over the wifi connection and requires transcoding so it can take 15 minutes per file, you need to plan in advance basically. That aside, it has never crashed on me and I use it all the time. It's free too, one of the better pieces of software on the App Store
Old Jan 5, 11, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Are you are assuming the OP is in America and only flies in America? I was asked to remove the ipad at LHR and AMS.
I was asked to remove it at several airports in China.
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus View Post
No, handbrake runs on the Mac. You'll also need the "VLC Player" installed. It used to be that VLC version 1.0.2 was required, not sure if that's still the case.
I've heard there's been a new version of Handbrake released, and it doesn't require VLC - I haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not able to verify this.
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:00 pm

+1 for Handbrake. Simply choose an iPad-compatible preset and it will rip and convert the DVD. From there, you can import the video file into iTunes and choose to sync the movie just as you would any other onto the iPad. It can be viewed through the standard Videos app on the iPad, again, just like any other purchased iTunes movie.

As for going through security, I have never taken it out of my laptop bag (which has other cords and such in it) and never had a problem on US travel.

Last edited by AlaskaAir738; Jan 5, 11 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 6, 11, 6:32 am
Original Poster

I downloaded handbrake and attempted to use it, but whatever I did wasnt working
I'm obviously not the most tech savy lol...and I tried to look for some sort of tutorial, but had no luck.
Can somone familiar with using it post the steps for me?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: