China makes Skype illegal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China makes Skype illegal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post China makes Skype illegal

China on Thursday announced that it had made illegal the use of Skype, the popular internet telephony service, as the country continues to shut itself off from the rest of the world.

In the latest move dashing Western internet company hopes of breaking into China, it was announced that all internet phone calls were to be banned apart from those made over two state-owned networks, China Unicom and China Telecom.

"[This] is expected to make services like Skype unavailable in the country," reported the People's Daily, the official mouthpiece of the Communist party.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...e-illegal.html
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Holy crap!!!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:07 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it hasn't gone into effect yet, but I was just using Skype to talk to someone in China.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Would this affect VOIP telephone calls? Skype Out calls?

Not that I use skype out to my Chinese friends, we all use skype to skype, icq to icq etc but this is still very troubling.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thank god I don't live in China. ^
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Maybe it hasn't gone into effect yet, but I was just using Skype to talk to someone in China.
My wife is Skyping her sister as I write this.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
article mentions that this will be hard to enforce and should not affect skype to skype only skype out service.

Just skyped my buddy, will see what happens.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Two points.

1. Impossible to realistically block all Skype calls in a huge country like China.

2. Western media has never understood China and pretty much all the sensationalist reporting from them is wrong. Especially from UK papers like this one.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Wow, that is pretty huge. If they make it illegal that probably means they can enforce some form of punishment, which is the last thing anyone wants while in china.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:49 pm

I wonder if they have black helicopters flying around.....
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Complete BS by drunken Britts
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Two points.

1. Impossible to realistically block all Skype calls in a huge country like China.

2. Western media has never understood China and pretty much all the sensationalist reporting from them is wrong. Especially from UK papers like this one.
Asolutely correct. ^

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Wow, that is pretty huge. If they make it illegal that probably means they can enforce some form of punishment, which is the last thing anyone wants while in china.
No one is going to punish you for using Skype (or accessing Facebook through a proxy) while you are in China.

Where do people get this stuff?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Asolutely correct. ^

No one is going to punish you for using Skype (or accessing Facebook through a proxy) while you are in China.

Where do people get this stuff?
Yeah. Many years ago I paid many visits to an internet cafe during which time I attempted to load a total of images from a banned website. No cops showed up.

(Reality: I was using a forum that wasn't on the banned list--but every page pulled three ads off a banned site.)
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HowieG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Complete BS by drunken Britts
Not just us drunken Brits, last time I checked Business Week was a US publication, and as for the China Post*......

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/china/na...government.htm

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...crackdown.html

*although this is a Reuters story in the CP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.