Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

gogo spyware/malware??

gogo spyware/malware??

Old Dec 27, 10, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
gogo spyware/malware??

I flew AS635 yesterday from PHX-SEA, and paid to use gogo inflight. I wanted to do a speed test, as it is the first time that I was on a wifi plane.

When i went to speedtest.net, the page that loaded for me instead was the itunes page for the speedtest.net app. I'm certain the address was correct, which makes me wonder if there was a spyware/malware issue somehow on the network. Once at home, I tried again, wondering if it was my computer, and the page loaded correctly to speedtest.net

My question is this: Can anyone else who will be using in flight wifi try next time they are up in the air, and let me know if they are seeing the same thing? Anyone else experienced anything similar at other sites? Perhaps gogo is redirecting traffic in an effort to generate more revenue for advertisers?
Old Dec 27, 10, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rybob1 View Post
I flew AS635 yesterday from PHX-SEA, and paid to use gogo inflight. I wanted to do a speed test, as it is the first time that I was on a wifi plane.

When i went to speedtest.net, the page that loaded for me instead was the itunes page for the speedtest.net app. I'm certain the address was correct, which makes me wonder if there was a spyware/malware issue somehow on the network. Once at home, I tried again, wondering if it was my computer, and the page loaded correctly to speedtest.net

My question is this: Can anyone else who will be using in flight wifi try next time they are up in the air, and let me know if they are seeing the same thing? Anyone else experienced anything similar at other sites? Perhaps gogo is redirecting traffic in an effort to generate more revenue for advertisers?
I had something odd show up before using speedtest.net - IIRC it was very similar... and confusing.
Old Dec 27, 10, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by rybob1 View Post
No, it's poor design/configuration on their (speedtest.net's) part. The same thing happens when I browse to the site using my iPad here at home.
Old Dec 27, 10, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Not fully Alaska Airlines-related, so we'll try moving it to Travel Technology, since that seems like a more appropriate home for this kind of discussion.

jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum
Old Dec 27, 10, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by lKTyS7UPY View Post
No, it's poor design/configuration on their (speedtest.net's) part. The same thing happens when I browse to the site using my iPad here at home.
Yep. There seems to be some bugs / issues with Speedtests configuration.
Old Dec 28, 10, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Not fully Alaska Airlines-related, so we'll try moving it to Travel Technology, since that seems like a more appropriate home for this kind of discussion.

jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum
...was wondering where this went

So what is causing speedtest to redirect like this
Old Dec 28, 10, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
...was wondering where this went

So what is causing speedtest to redirect like this
Like the others said - it was something Speedtest.net does on their page. They probably have a user agent mixed up and thought you were browsing from a mobile device. A redirect like this is hardly "malware".
Old Dec 28, 10, 9:43 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Doesn't gogo basically use the same system as cell phone internet, so it wouldn't be reasonable to have speedtest see you on a 3G network instead of wired internet?
Old Dec 28, 10, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Doesn't gogo basically use the same system as cell phone internet, so it wouldn't be reasonable to have speedtest see you on a 3G network instead of wired internet?
It uses EVDO Rev. A technology but operates on their own completely separate network. That said, I believe their IP block is owned by AT&T, so perhaps Speedtest.net is assuming it's a mobile network. Odd, though, because surfing on Verizon or AT&T's broadband networks with a real computer doesn't have the same behavior (last I checked).

I have noticed some websites incorrectly interpreting the Google Chrome user agent as a mobile device.
Old Dec 28, 10, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only people stopped all using speedtest.net any time they use Gogo, we may all have some more speed left for actual work
Old Dec 29, 10, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat Ambassador Program
I use dslreports.com....... works often enough for me,
Old Dec 29, 10, 10:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
If only people stopped all using speedtest.net any time they use Gogo, we may all have some more speed left for actual work
Agreed. If you are lucky enough to be on a wifi equipped aircraft and said wifi works, life is good. If it doesn't work, "could be worse......could be raining"
Old Dec 29, 10, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've used speedtest.net and it works fine with a laptop. I usually use the dslreports MOBILE site for this type of connection test, and get the same results. Latency is the problem of course, not necessarilly speed

Search this Thread
Search Engine: