Reload this Page >

using a Printer as a card reader...?

Old Dec 14, 10, 4:07 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine

Im wondering if I can use a network printer (HP OfficeJet) that has a built in card reader for various formats of memory cards as a conduit to get pictures from a memory card onto a hard drive of one of the computers on my home network....

Can someone help me with tips on how to go by this...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Dec 14, 10, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sounds very unlikely. Generally printers are designed to only read cards directly into their own processing systems directly so the function to send out doesn't exist.
Old Dec 14, 10, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sounds very unlikely. Generally printers are designed to only read cards directly into their own processing systems directly so the function to send out doesn't exist.
Old Dec 14, 10, 8:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It totally depends on the printer. Office Jets do allow shared memory card access, but I can't say if all models do. It is as simple on some as just mapping a drive to (with the correct IP of the printer of course) to \\192.168.100.2\media_card\

Some allow it, for example Epson has a setup through their printers where you can share the memory card or not. Then once you do that, you need to attach to it.

This page tells you how to set it up for sharing
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...0&subcat=30978

and this one how to connect to it (not sure if they are even the same printer, just quick googling)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...50&foid=139412

(they probably have a page for each printer). You do the setup at the printer to say if it's read only or read write, and you map it as a drive

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 14, 10 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 14, 10, 8:52 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Thanks.... I will try this later today when I get back home...

Cheers
Gaucho100K

Search this Thread
Search Engine: