Black friday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:18 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Black friday

Who's doing a bit of shopping on Friday?
Any good sales going on?

I'm going to watch Tigerdirect and Newegg, though I already bought a nice desktop off of newegg the other day.
I could assume woot will have the BoC
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:25 am

Okay I'm thinking of buying something online...Tigerdirect and Newegg gives the best deals?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:38 am

1) I'm getting too old.
2) I've already got most of what I want.
3) The deals seem less attractive this year.
4) They've changed the start time from a sort-of appropriate 5 AM to as early as 3 AM in many of the stores.
5) Lots of brick & mortar stores allow you to buy the same deals online.
6) My kids & grandkids all prefer cash these days.

Therefore,

7) I think I'm staying home this year.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll bet at Target for the 2TB external and 1TB portable. Lowest prices I've seen so far.

Newegg was advertising a 2TB for $69, but I ordered one from them last week for $59....
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
For the last couple of years I've relied on http://dealnews.com/ to keep on top of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. Anything I may buy will be online, though. There's no way I'm getting anywhere near a shopping mall.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:24 am

I prefer shopping online or during a regular weekday when most people are at work.

The crowds of people on Black Friday aren't my idea of a good time. But my brother always seems to want to drag me out to a few stores on BF anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Need a netbook and treadmill for my dad. If you all run across any good deals. please post up.

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:39 pm

Compaq netbook at bestbuy 150 or acer netbook at radio shack for 180.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:38 pm

If I'll be doing any shopping it'll be online only, the crowds in the past few years have gotten ridiculous.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Woot typically doesnt have a BOC tonight.... Christmas Eve for sure though!

Newegg is selling now! Geeks is a good one

You can watch bfads.net for the latest info!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me here in Toronto, it's a regular working day today and definately no Black Friday tomorrow. But I know some folks who are crossing the border at Niagara Falls to take advantage of Black Friday.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ScottC
I'll bet at Target for the 2TB external and 1TB portable. Lowest prices I've seen so far.
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get the 1TB portable; at 4:15 this morning the 2GB was sold out, and only a couple of 1TB's left.

I didn't realize how intense these early morning Black Friday deals were- suburban mall, sprawling multi acre parking lot was full. When I left I drove past a Best Buy, 1.5 hours prior to opening and 18 degree F temps, the line was 50 to 75 people long.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by deubster
...I think I'm staying home this year.
I never did this before, but went to Target at 4 am for a Tom-Tom GPS. The shelf was half empty by the time I reached it.

Originally Posted by ScottC
I'll bet at Target for the 2TB external and 1TB portable. Lowest prices I've seen so far...
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get the 1TB portable; at 4:15 this morning the 2GB was sold out, and only a couple of 1TB's left...
Missed out on that one, unfortunately, perhaps because I went for the GPS first. I console myself that this will probably be the regular price in six months, and I don't need it right away.

Added later: The AmEx Daily Wish promo for next Wednesday, Dec. 1, is Target rebates. The main offer is $100 back if you spend $200. They have 250 of those. The secondary offer is $50 back if you spend $100. They have 750 of those, so the chance of snagging one is pretty good. That one should cut the regular price of a drive down to the levels of this offer, with no need to brave Black Friday crowds (rebate good for purchases through Dec. 18) or even go to the store, since you can use it at target.com. The time of day these go on sale hasn't been posted yet, but you can register with the site for an e-mail heads-up. It's usually around mid-day in the eastern U.S.

Originally Posted by chanp
Need a ... treadmill for my dad. If you all run across any good deals.
I got a Sole F80 at Sears this morning too, before driving home and going back to bed. However, a treadmill is a personal thing. A lot depends on how he'll be using it, how much he'll be using it, how much he weighs, how important electronic features are to him, and so on. What's right for me could be very wrong for him. If you want advice on treadmills, knowing that it will be too late for Black Friday by the time you get it, you'll have to say more about him. Meanwhile, check out the reviews at www.treadmilldoctor.com.

Last edited by Efrem; Nov 27, 2010 at 8:23 am Reason: Add note about Daily Wish promo to match BF price
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks Ill have a look. That Best Buy Amex deal for this week looks decent.

Originally Posted by Efrem
I never did this before, but went to Target at 4 am for a Tom-Tom GPS. The shelf was half empty by the time I reached it.

Missed out on that one, unfortunately, perhaps because I went for the GPS first. I console myself that this will probably be the regular price in six months, and I don't need it right away.

Added later: The AmEx Daily Wish promo for next Wednesday, Dec. 1, is Target rebates. The main offer is $100 back if you spend $200. They have 250 of those. The secondary offer is $50 back if you spend $100. They have 750 of those, so the chance of snagging one is pretty good. That one should cut the regular price of a drive down to the levels of this offer, with no need to brave Black Friday crowds (rebate good for purchases through Dec. 18) or even go to the store, since you can use it at target.com. The time of day these go on sale hasn't been posted yet, but you can register with the site for an e-mail heads-up. It's usually around mid-day in the eastern U.S.

I got a Sole F80 at Sears this morning too, before driving home and going back to bed. However, a treadmill is a personal thing. A lot depends on how he'll be using it, how much he'll be using it, how much he weighs, how important electronic features are to him, and so on. What's right for me could be very wrong for him. If you want advice on treadmills, knowing that it will be too late for Black Friday by the time you get it, you'll have to say more about him. Meanwhile, check out the reviews at www.treadmilldoctor.com.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Follow-up: went to a different Target Sat. evening because my wife needed some eye stuff. They had ONE of the 1TB drives on the shelf. Mission accomplished. (1TB ought to be enough for a while, but I've said that about assorted smaller capacities over the past 20+ years.)

So, no competition for the Target rebates from this quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.