Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transpacific Flights With WiFi?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Transpacific Flights With WiFi?

I'm looking to fly LAX to DPS this week and can't seem to find an airline that offers on-board wifi. I've come across a few blogs with guys saying, "I'm 35,000mi over the Pacific blah blah blah" but none of the airline sites seem to confirm this. I run my whole company online and being out of pocket for 15+ hours is just not realistic anymore.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I believe this phenomenon was short-lived, when Boeing Connexion was available a few years ago; but it no longer exists, and no satellite-based wifi exists as far as I know. All the wifi you see today is terrestrial. You have to be within 50 or 100 miles of land.

And if your company can't survive you being out of pocket for 15 hours, it's time for Chapter 11.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:49 pm

Not yet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...i-2032368.html

Cathay Pacific is rolling it out (as is Emirates, but transferring in Hong Kong is one thing, transferring in Dubai is another). If you really can't go offline for fifteen hours, what about engineering a lay over in Hawaii and running to the lounge?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Not yet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...i-2032368.html

Cathay Pacific is rolling it out (as is Emirates, but transferring in Hong Kong is one thing, transferring in Dubai is another). If you really can't go offline for fifteen hours, what about engineering a lay over in Hawaii and running to the lounge?
I think thats great news.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
How about setting your email auto-responder to say "I'm 35,000mi over the Pacific blah blah blah"
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:29 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Platcomike
How about setting your email auto-responder to say "I'm 35,000mi over the Pacific blah blah blah"
Perhaps "35,000 feet over the Pacific..." would work better.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by roberto99
Perhaps "35,000 feet over the Pacific..." would work better.
I think Virgin Galactic is only going 600 miles above ground level.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Platcomike
at 35,000 miles over the Pacific?

I don't think you need to worry... either NASA or the Russian Space Agency will provide you with free internet access. if not, move over to the nearest communications satellite and hook your laptop to it.

and the answer to the original question, as others have stated, is no.... unfortunately. which is a real shame, because I can easily go without internet access, even on the longest TATS flights... LAX-LHR or LAX-FRA for example...... but crossing the Pacific on a 14 or 15-hour flight without internet access is painfully boring.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:30 pm

crazy idea.

why don't you try some of the following activities while you don't have wifi:

- sleep
- eat
- read a book
- read a magazine
- stare and think
- watch some in flight entertainment
- play a game
- do a crossword puzzle
- do any sort of puzzle
- play cards
- talk to someone
- download a bunch of movies or TV shoes to your computer, ipad, iphone, etc
- drink something
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HylaRadio
being out of pocket for 15+ hours is just not realistic anymore.
Sorry for editorializing, but are you married? Do you have kids? Do you sleep?

A business model that means if you're out of touch for 15 hours you're in trouble isn't sustainable for work/life balance... What if you needed surgery? What if your kid wanted to go for a hike in the woods?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I think I just read that SQ has signed a deal to offer WiFi, as well as cell phone service. They will limit the cell phone service to SMS for now, but it's sure to be voice ready sooner or later. I know we will hear from a bunch of whiners about this, but I wish they would keep their psycho problems to themselves and let the public communicate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.