Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying Your Seatmates - There is an App for that

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking Annoying Your Seatmates - There is an App for that

It is amazing how many people have the iPad now. I was on a A320 (about 150 seats) and counted at least 6 in economy...

This girl (probably teenager or younger) was playing this game where she had to shake the iPad really hard to move/shuffle things. Boy, I am glad I was not sitting next to her. Between the bright light and the shaking, I would be very annoyed.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by username
It is amazing how many people have the iPad now. I was on a A320 (about 150 seats) and counted at least 6 in economy...

This girl (probably teenager or younger) was playing this game where she had to shake the iPad really hard to move/shuffle things. Boy, I am glad I was not sitting next to her. Between the bright light and the shaking, I would be very annoyed.
I dunno. I can think of lots of things that would annoy me wayyyyy more than someone shaking an iPad/iPod/iTouch/iPhone.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
You could always be polite and ask, "Can I shake your iPad for you, you look a bit tired?"
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by aster
You could always be polite and ask, "Can I shake your iPad for you, you look a bit tired?"
Depending on your age, gender and demeanor, that could really be misunderstood....
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP (qualified MVP for 2011), DL, AA
The Urbanspoon app (at least on my phone) requires a lot of force to get a response. I really wouldn't want to be sitting in front of her if she was using it.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by gregmchicago
Depending on your age, gender and demeanor, that could really be misunderstood....
Yeah, valid point.

A lot of iPhone/iPad games that use dice allow you to shake the darn thing to get them rolling, but they all have a setting where you can disable the physical shake and just tap the screen.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, AA Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, UA Premier Executive
Yep, I use my Ipad as an overly expensive movie player. Hey, the screen size & video quality is great, along with the battery life. However, I left it on the plan when I arrived in HKG -- realized I was missing it before going through customs screening -- and beat feet back to the plane and reboarded (thought I would be stopped, but no issue) and found it still plugged into the power port where I was sitting. The heart was beating a bit more than normal with a nice relieved feeling once I grabbed it.

But did managed to loose an Ipod 32gb unit in my seat on the way back home. No response from United lost & found.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:53 am

Just out of curiosity, do you have some sort of stand for it when watching movies or do you just hold it in your hands?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Just out of curiosity, do you have some sort of stand for it when watching movies or do you just hold it in your hands?
I hold it (similar weight to a paperback), but that's what I use the original apple case for - it can shield the screen (and it's brightness) from neighbors - even though it is really easy to adjust the brightness. The shaking would drive me nuts - I am always amused by the people that can't think outside of their world for the duration of a flights...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I have the Apple case which has a built in stand. It's fairly stable and stands up nicely on the seatback tray tables.

I'm anxiously awaiting my new BookBook case, which comes with a string + button gizmo that lets you set it up at any viewing angle.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:47 pm

I too have the Apple cover which offers a few set positions, will definitely give it a go the next time I fly as I have been too lazy to take it out the last few times (just one long-haul and plenty of shorter flights).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by username
This girl (probably teenager or younger) was playing this game where she had to shake the iPad really hard to move/shuffle things.
Sure that wasn't an Etch-a-Sketch?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cubbie
Sure that wasn't an Etch-a-Sketch?
Unless Etch-a-sketch is now color and lights up and people puts them in leather cases, I am pretty sure it was an iPad. I was just walking by but I am pretty sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.