Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions For A New Laptop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Suggestions For A New Laptop

Any advice or suggestions for a new laptop? Looking for 500gb, 4gb memory, and i5 or i7 processor. Any thoughts on XP v Windows 7? I am leaning towards a Lenovo. Any thoughts on Lenovo laptops? Thanks!

Last edited by Arcolaio99; Oct 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Size of Screen? Price Range?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Size of Screen? Price Range?
14 inch screen and price around $1000. I am flexibile on both.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
HP Pavilion or Toshiba Satellite. Best bet for the 14", and all easily under $1000.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arcolaio99
Any advice or suggestions for a new laptop? Looking for 500gb, 4gb memory, and i5 or i7 processor. Any thoughts on XP v Windows 7? I am leaning towards a Lenovo. Any thoughts on Lenovo laptops? Thanks!
1. I've been very happy with my Lenovo netbook for 12 months;

2. Waiting for an imminent delivery of a Dell laptop (refurb) Win7 64 bit for the Mom;

3. I've had mixed results with HP/Compaq and Toshiba lappies;

4.What are you replacing?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Coupons

Goggle: laptop coupon code. You will find many deals of $200 or $250 off already discounted prices. I just bought a nice HP and got $375 off with a bunch of free upgrades. Give it a try.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
While this thread is fine in OMNI, let's make full use of the forums we have here on FT.

Moving this over to Travel Technology.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I'd forget about any Windows-based machine and switch to Apple. It'll take you a month to get used to the system, but once you make the transition you'll be asking yourself why you hadn't done so earlier.

I believe next week Apple will shed some light on its new products, and there might be a new MacBook Air coming out (smaller model, with 11-inch screen), but then again these are just rumours...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aster
I'd forget about any Windows-based machine and switch to Apple. It'll take you a month to get used to the system, but once you make the transition you'll be asking yourself why you hadn't done so earlier.

I believe next week Apple will shed some light on its new products, and there might be a new MacBook Air coming out (smaller model, with 11-inch screen), but then again these are just rumours...
OK - point to a $1000 14" Apple machine with i5 or i&, 500GB and 4GB ram. Oh, and don't forget to add the $$ to get a full Windows 7 or XP license, as that was in the requirements from the OP.

An 11" Air isn't interesting - as the OP asked for 14".
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Sorry, your're right of course, you have to fork out extra $$$ to get those specs on a Mac. You can get a $1000 Mac, but it won't come as supercharged as that.

It all depends on how flexible the budget is. I too had set myself a price much lower than I ended up paying, but once I set my mind on switching to Apple (round the time Windows Vista came out) I dug out the extra cash and went all-in.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had Thinkpads (formerly IBM and now Lenovo) since 2003. They are the best laptops I've had. Solid, well built, and dependable. I also love the pencil eraser mouse thingy between the G and H keys, which very few other brands have.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've had Thinkpads (formerly IBM and now Lenovo) since 2003. They are the best laptops I've had. Solid, well built, and dependable. I also love the pencil eraser mouse thingy between the G and H keys, which very few other brands have.
Thanks! What model do you have now and the specs, if you don"t mind. My T42 just crapped out and I need a new machine.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I would go with a T510, making sure to go for the LED backlit display (I have one one on my X100e, very nice).
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! What model do you have now and the specs, if you don"t mind. My T42 just crapped out and I need a new machine.
My current model is actually about 4 years old (but still going strong ). It's a T60 with a dual core 1.8 GHz processor. I upgraded the RAM to 3 GB (from the stock 512 MB or 1 GB or whatever was in there) in the spring, and it's once again as fast as ever, though it can't quite keep up with my new HD webcam.

At my previous job, this computer just sat in a closet since work gave me a new Thinkpad (a T61 I think).

I would just go to lenovo.com and spec one out. General rule of thumb is that it's better to allocate more money to RAM and hard drive space than processor speed.

When I eventually replace this, if I'm going to be traveling with it, I'd get a small form factor machine. If not, the regular form factor is fine.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by aster
I'd forget about any Windows-based machine and switch to Apple.
I'd say it all depends on what you use your computer for. If all you do is surf, email and spreadsheets, why not give Apple a go.

I work and play with apps like Oracle, WebSphere, Eclipse, etc. none of which will ever be ported to Apple.

Linux is a far more attractive alternative to Windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.