Search

RSS Aggregator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:49 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
RSS Aggregator

I've been using Bloglines for a couple years now, and it seems they are shutting down at the end of the month.

One of the rationale for the shutdown was that people really don't use them much anymore. And while it doesn't surprise me in the least to find out that i'm behind the tech curve.. I have to wonder what everyone else is using these days.

I don't want feeds coming to my phone, or email... I just want to go to one central place to peruse my favorite blogs.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:16 pm

google reader, it's great. Try it.

-David
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
google reader, it's great. Try it.

-David
+1. I use this to read ~400 posts from about a dozen different RSS feeds every day. Works really well.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Google Reader is probably the best feed reader that is currently out there.

There are few online feed reader applications left, most companies have been focusing on applications (NetNewsWire, etc.) for the desktop.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:21 am

Google Reader also interacts very well with mobile formatted front-ends and Apps like Reeder, Byline etc. So if you use a variety of devices you can use the best looking front-end and everything syncs well with Google Reader in the background.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Google Reader.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Google Reader. I too was a Blogline user. The best thing with Google Reader is that all the RSS reader apps on my mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) are Google Reader compatible.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:14 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: AA
(deleted)

Last edited by cubbie; Apr 6, 2012 at 9:32 am Reason: dumb question
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA
I've been using Google Reader for about 3 weeks now, and I just don't like the look, feel, and functionality of it nearly as much as I did those of the Firefox add-in Brief.

I don't like how the article titles are in such large fonts, I don't like that clicking on a title in list view expands that article rather than (as Brief did) opening it in a new tab. I don't like how I still have to look at a list of articles even after I've marked them all read.

Our family might be adopting an iPad sometime soon, and if so I might end up reading my RSS feeds much more enjoyably on that device.

Nonetheless, I still yearn for a Firefox compatible RSS reader as enjoyable to use as the no-longer-supported Brief.

I do like the fact that with Google Reader you can see your unread feeds on any computer without tedious syncing (xmarks and firefox sync never worked that well for me). I just would like a more attractive GUI.

Is what I'm looking for a Google Reader-compatible front-end app (as someone mentioned above)? If so, can someone recommend one for a desktop PC and Firefox? And one for an iPad?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cubbie
I've been using Google Reader for about 3 weeks now, and I just don't like the look, feel, and functionality of it nearly as much as I did those of the Firefox add-in Brief.

I don't like how the article titles are in such large fonts, I don't like that clicking on a title in list view expands that article rather than (as Brief did) opening it in a new tab. I don't like how I still have to look at a list of articles even after I've marked them all read.

Our family might be adopting an iPad sometime soon, and if so I might end up reading my RSS feeds much more enjoyably on that device.

Nonetheless, I still yearn for a Firefox compatible RSS reader as enjoyable to use as the no-longer-supported Brief.

I do like the fact that with Google Reader you can see your unread feeds on any computer without tedious syncing (xmarks and firefox sync never worked that well for me). I just would like a more attractive GUI.

Is what I'm looking for a Google Reader-compatible front-end app (as someone mentioned above)? If so, can someone recommend one for a desktop PC and Firefox? And one for an iPad?
There's an app that I use called Reeder (iPhone and iPad versions). It pulls the feeds off of your Google Reader and displays it in a much more friendly manner. Downloads the content so you can take it on a plane and read later.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: OnePass, SPG
As an alternative to Google, try out Goodbits (http://www.rsshero.com/).

If you're a technical person, take a gander at Fever. You have to install it to your own server, but it's kind of fun to roll your own. http://feedafever.com/ It will also soon sync with previously mentioned iOS app Reeder.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Hartmann
There's an app that I use called Reeder (iPhone and iPad versions). It pulls the feeds off of your Google Reader and displays it in a much more friendly manner. Downloads the content so you can take it on a plane and read later.
I like Reeder but several of the blogs I have in my (Google) feed don't play well with it. They truncate the blog post and force you to click through to the web page to read the whole blog post. That defeats the whole point of Reeder to me which is larger, more legible text.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I like Reeder but several of the blogs I have in my (Google) feed don't play well with it. They truncate the blog post and force you to click through to the web page to read the whole blog post. That defeats the whole point of Reeder to me which is larger, more legible text.
http://fulltextrssfeed.com/
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Upstate
Didn't work with the NYT blog I'm trying to view in full. I'm guessing the pay wall is to blame which is annoying since blogs are supposed to be free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.