Search

Wal-Mart Family Mobile

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wal-Mart Family Mobile

$70 for two lines (unlimited minutes and texts) plus a reasonable* PAYG data option (200MB free when opening two lines) with rollover!

I'm currently paying $65/mo for two lines--500 minutes, 400 texts (on my phone), and unlimited data (on my phone). The past two months, we have exceeded the allotted minutes considerably (due to being on the phone constantly with our real estate agent). I was thinking about upgrading to a larger plan with T-Mobile, but now I think Wal-Mart Family Mobile will be a much better option for me*.

* - people who don't use their (smart)phone often to use the internet

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Walmart-Family-Mobile/1076544
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm with t-mobile. Off-contract, I'm paying $40 for 1500 anytime minutes and $5 for 300 texts. I don't use mobile web. So for the same $45, I can use the same phone, the same network, and have both minutes and text unlimited. I can't really see a reason not to switch.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
If you have more than two phones on your family plan the 'new' Walmart plan is not any better than going with a straight TMo plan. But this is an interesting development. I would be nice if someone came up with an unlimited text and data plan like this with a small amount of voice for those of us that don't use much voice minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For so many years I would .... on prepaid service as phone service for poor people, people who's credit was so bad no one would open an account for you, etc. but I am actually coming around and switching to WFM myself now that it's just Verizon prepaid...

As a long-time Sprint customer who was happy with my service, plans, phones, and deals over the years, I was very upset over the TMUS buyout of S. There's something that's just so vile and repulsive about T-Mobile from their disingenuous fake "cool" attitude, being Orwellian (the opposite of) in everything they say like lying about killing 2-years contracts when they brought 3-year bill credits scams to the industry, being so cheap (in quality) they would pull out of all national retailers because they don't want anyone else to make money, only having cell phone towers next to highways (but not in towns) so to claim a large coverage footprint without spending the money to have many cell phone sites, cheaps out of industry standards for roaming (like a LCC not paying for interline as a normal airline would), and if you dare venture into their stores (including corporate) they will tack on junk accessories purchases to cheat you in any way they can. The worst part is, the combined Sprint/T-Mobile is the same size as AT&T and Verizon now, so T-Mobile has no need to compete anymore and prices reflect that accordingly (2nd-rate service with a top-tier price).
Old Aug 13, 2023, 11:10 pm

There are way better MVNO deals to be had out there. Check out Mint for the T-Mobile network, Visible for Verizon and Red Pocket for AT&T.

For low(ish) data use, T-Mobile's Connect plans are also a better deal.
TGarza, draver and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
There are way better MVNO deals to be had out there. Check out Mint for the T-Mobile network, Visible for Verizon and Red Pocket for AT&T.

For low(ish) data use, T-Mobile's Connect plans are also a better deal.
I've been a Mint customer for about four years and have been very happy paying a little more than $25 per month (prepay for an annual amount rather than paying each month) and getting unlimited calls plus 20GB data per month. I'm not familiar with either Visible or Red Pocket but would expect similar service as with Mint on those respective networks.

If you go the Mint route and have any idea of using your phone as a hotspot, here's a tip. Get the 20GB data plan rather than the Unlimited. Although there's more data with Unlimited, Mint's small print informs you that the hotspot data for Unlimited is limited [!?] to 10GB per month while you can use all 20GB of the 20GB plan as a hotspot. If hotspot data is unimportant and you're not a heavy video user, I suspect the 5GB or 15GB plans would work fine.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:04 am

fyi, Walmart Family Mobile is owned by Tracfone which is a subsidiary of Verizon with Tracfone moving customers to Verizon from T Mobile and AT&T. If you want T Mobile service using a MVNO or prepaid, consider Metro or Mint which are both owned by T Mobile.
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Tmo has their 55+ plan if that applies, all unlimited and I think ~ 90 two phones all in (no add’l taxes and fees) plus a ton of freebies that might apply. Apple TV, Netflix free, AAA membership and others. Extra lines are $45 I think. I would go that route except MY HOME is the ONE 1/5 acre in my town where there is ZERO signal.. front of house, backyard, anywhere else, great signal. So do their 90 free “test drive” on your current device (requires esim capable phone) and check it out

ATT prepaid is $300 a year ($265 with online discounts) all in with 16GB monthly, roll-over and unlimited call and texts and Mexico and Canada calling/data usage. That would be $600 for two lines.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
ATT prepaid is $300 a year ($265 with online discounts) all in with 16GB monthly, roll-over and unlimited call and texts and Mexico and Canada calling/data usage. That would be $600 for two lines.

The new T&C for this plan doesn’t mention Mexico and Canada.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:20 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Tmo has their 55+ plan if that applies, all unlimited and I think ~ 90 two phones all in (no add’l taxes and fees) plus a ton of freebies that might apply. Apple TV, Netflix free, AAA membership and others.
I have that and counting freebies it was probably worth $100/month to the good versus what I'd been paying AT&T. And Tmo's Twitter reps are amazingly helpful
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
The new T&C for this plan doesn’t mention Mexico and Canada.
Has this changed recently? I have the plan for several years now on an 2nd phone and it still includes that.. maybe it is grandfathered in?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:42 am

Has this changed recently? I have the plan for several years now on an 2nd phone and it still includes that.. maybe it is grandfathered in?
Yes, for new signups. You are probably grandfathered which is normal for ATT.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Yes, for new signups. You are probably grandfathered which is normal for ATT.
Well, maybe the OP from 13 years ago didn’t need MEX/CAN. ;-)
TGarza likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.