Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAX/Copy machines: $200 buys what?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

FAX/Copy machines: $200 buys what?

Any input would be appreciated on multi function printers for around $200.

I will not be traveling with it. Scanning not a required function.

TIA
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very happy with the Epson Artisan 810 - fax, scan, copy, duplex, print, WiFi, Ethernet

All in all a very reliable unit.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:22 am

I bought a HP model for well under $200 that includes color printing/scan/fax/copy, etc.

If you visit Amazon.com and search the multifunction machines, there are probably 20 different models to pick from. If color is not important, probably can get one for under $100!

If you do go up to $200, it should include ability to connect via wifi.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
I bought a HP model for well under $200 that includes color printing/scan/fax/copy, etc.

If you visit Amazon.com and search the multifunction machines, there are probably 20 different models to pick from. If color is not important, probably can get one for under $100!

If you do go up to $200, it should include ability to connect via wifi.
OK THX.

Color is not important.

Prob is I need to pick one up locally (BWI)TODAY, thus AMZN is not an option.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Very happy with the Epson Artisan 810 - fax, scan, copy, duplex, print, WiFi, Ethernet

All in all a very reliable unit.
THX.

Best Buy has it for $169.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
HP 6500 wireless all in one

on sale at Best Buy $149. I own one of these printers and it works great Win 7 compatible also and it is wireless (has a wire for those who need one).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:51 am

HP OfficeJet 4500

I just installed HP OfficeJet 4500 - all features - fine for occasional use, clear printing,attractive design, medium footprint, clunky, noisy, slow, inexpensive - my primary use is scan, rare fax, backup printer. I'm content with my under $100 purchase.

Sylvia
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
When I was looking all of the office stores had one or two models on a clearance table, usually new in box, just not a model they were going to be selling any more. Staples, Office Max, etc.

They will have quite a few under that price point, even brand new regular price.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fatbaby2
...Scanning not a required function...
You will, I suspect, find that scanning is like a camera in a mobile phone: few people think they want it until they have it, but then they wonder how they ever lived without it. Faxes, in my professional and personal worlds, are going the way of the dodo bird even if they're not quite there yet. Attaching scans to e-mails is more and more the standard approach to sending documents. Among other things, it gives the receiver much more flexibility in storing and printing (or not printing, if viewing the document on screen is enough).

That said, you're unlikely to find a unit that does copying and faxing but not scanning. Scanning is the first step in the other two. The computer interface is already there, too. It's easy to program the unit to link them directly. The added cost is zero to negligible, the added benefit to many people is huge, so manufacturers all put it in.

That said: I have an Epson photo-quality unit. My wife has a more basic HP. Neither is new. Both work fine. $200 buys you good (not great) photo printing these days. If you don't need that, you can get one for much less.

(If you need great photo printing, try FT's photography forum - right below this one in the list.)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
I just installed HP OfficeJet 4500.Sylvia
Good deal. I just went downstairs and noted ours was the HP deskjet 4400, paid more than $100 at time of purchase.

In retrospect, should have bought a wifi capable unit!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:58 pm

I've purchased 3 Brother MFC machines for under $200 and been happy with all three. You should be able to find them at the local big box office store, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by fatbaby2
Color is not important.
In that case, a monochrome laser will offer lowest operating cost and best quality output. I would avoid inkjets because ink will dry up even if you don't use it.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:49 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by msb0b
In that case, a monochrome laser will offer lowest operating cost and best quality output. I would avoid inkjets because ink will dry up even if you don't use it.
very much agree on this point. I hate the notion of being jerked around by ridiculous costing inkjet refills. I got an HP 3015 for my parents years ago, they're very happy, and recently bought an HP 3050 for myself. Unfortunately I believe the latest incarnation of it is not able to be print shared via a central print server, but you might want to verify that.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA General Member
I'm very happy with the Canon imageCLASS MF4370D. $170 @ Amazon right now and replacement toner is reasonable (remember to factor that into your buying decision).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We have a 4 year old HP scan/fax/copy printer that we got for $199 (MSRP $399). It used to permit wireless printing when it was attached to our airport, but since we moved we have to attach the cable to our laptop every time we want to print something. A real PITA when you use your laptop all over the house.

So my recommendation is to make sure you get a true wireless printer that is compatible with your current computer and doesn't require a hardwire cable connection to your modem or computer. Thankfully that covers most systems today and the price has dropped substantially in the last couple of years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.