Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I-POD and wireless (internet) access in a timeshare - why was I charged?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We just came back from the Marriott Marbella Beach Resort, in Spain.

It gives one free wi-fi access, if you enter a special code, as you are logging in. If one does not do so, then one is charged just under 10 euros a day, by the internet service provider.

My 14 yr old daughter has an ipod. She also has both facebook and (separately) internet applications on her ipod.

She claims that she did not use either of these functionalities during the stay; that we were charged because the 2 functionalities/applications were on (even though unused). However, I am wondering whether she used one or both of these functionalities.

The question is would one be charged, just by the applications being on, or only if the applications were being utilized?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
... you enter a special code (snip) ... The question is would one be charged, just by the applications being on, or only if the applications were being utilized?
I suspect the first time you enter the code, they assign the code to the MAC address of the device you are using. Any further access with that MAC address is not charged, while unknown MAC addresses get charged. The same might apply to using the code a second time for a new MAC address.

OT: Those damn hotels! I travel with several devices, all with MAC addresses, and end up having difficulty syncing mail on all of 'em.

The same goes for accessing the hotel internet access both with Ethernet (in the room) and from the pool area over WiFi. Two different MAC addresses, and two possible charges.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by aidanc
I suspect the first time you enter the code, they assign the code to the MAC address of the device you are using. Any further access with that MAC address is not charged, while unknown MAC addresses get charged. The same might apply to using the code a second time for a new MAC address.

OT: Those damn hotels! I travel with several devices, all with MAC addresses, and end up having difficulty syncing mail on all of 'em.

The same goes for accessing the hotel internet access both with Ethernet (in the room) and from the pool area over WiFi. Two different MAC addresses, and two possible charges.
Just for clarification, are you saying that one can only be charged, if one uses the application (in this case, internet or facebook)? One should not be charged, just with the application being on? In our case, since my intention was that no internet access would be utilized in the unit, therefore no code was obtained.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
The best way to avoid any problems with multiple devices (PC's, iPods, BB's, etc.) is to travel with a small router. There are other threads that talk about these, but you use the router to sign on to the hotel service (with the code in this case) and then all of your devices attach through the router. This way the hotel only "sees" one device.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Just for clarification, are you saying that one can only be charged, if one uses the application (in this case, internet or facebook)? One should not be charged, just with the application being on? In our case, since my intention was that no internet access would be utilized in the unit, therefore no code was obtained.
It seems strange that they can permit access and charge you without some acknowledgment on the device that you know you're using the Internet. That being said, if the FaceBook application is open then it will try to update/sync/whatever and that will use the internet connection. Even if she wasn't actively reading and posting just having it open would mean there was data usage.

If you don't want any data usage turn off the wifi radio.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:30 am

Things to check in Settings:

1) Under Mail, Contacts, Calendars was "Fetch New Data" set to Push?

2) Was Notifications turned on?

Either of those could result in a connection being established without your daughter taking any direct action.

Note: I'm assuming these settings are the same for the iPod as for the iPhone (which I have); if they're not, please disregard.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I can't see being charged unless someone specifically authorized that device to connect to the network. If you didn't have to manually enter a code of some type they would have no idea if the data usage was you or the person in the next room or someone sitting in the parking lot. They have to have a way to tie the device to the room - wifi can't figure out exactly where you are.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by doramor
This guy knows what he is talking about. The wireless capability being on is what they charged you for.
I always carry a travel router on foreign trips. I'd point out that if you have Windows 7, Connectify is a great back up. It allows you to share your connection from your laptop with other devices. Sometimes you don't know when you are going to need that feature.

Meaning no disrespect, but I'd scrutinize the fourteen year old's facebook and e-mail to see if he/she used it. Besides the issue of the acknowledgment screen, how would the hotel know how to bill the internet if information was not provided to them. Wifi covers wings of hotels, pool areas, etc. Ulike a cabled connection, it can't use location to figure out who to bill. The other thing is that most require some information other than room number to stop the guy in Room 208 from saying "bill it to room 212."

I don't know your kid and they may be the most honest individual in the world, but I'm a little suspicious here.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I always carry a travel router on foreign trips. I'd point out that if you have Windows 7, Connectify is a great back up. It allows you to share your connection from your laptop with other devices. Sometimes you don't know when you are going to need that feature.

Meaning no disrespect, but I'd scrutinize the fourteen year old's facebook and e-mail to see if he/she used it. Besides the issue of the acknowledgment screen, how would the hotel know how to bill the internet if information was not provided to them. Wifi covers wings of hotels, pool areas, etc. Ulike a cabled connection, it can't use location to figure out who to bill. The other thing is that most require some information other than room number to stop the guy in Room 208 from saying "bill it to room 212."

I don't know your kid and they may be the most honest individual in the world, but I'm a little suspicious here.
I'd also be suspicious of the hotel. I'd certainly ask for verification of the charge.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I neglected to mention in my first post - I did believe my daughter that she did not use the ipod for internet or facebook access - even though the "applications" were on. I was able to successfully argue with the Marriott resort that no internet accesss was used during our stay - therefore, those charges were reversed/cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.