Wiki Posts
Search

Paygo wireless broadband coming soon!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Paygo wireless broadband coming soon!

I know we brought this up in another thread a few weeks ago, but I found this release of a pay as you go, month to month wireless broadband operator, should be shipping soon.

50-60$ a month, 5GB or unlimited. Seems it will run on the t-mo network, which is building out more 3G and 4G services now.

http://www.telavamobile.com/Informat...andbullet.aspx
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is another on T-Mo for just $39.99:

http://www.datajack.com/home

No idea how reliable they are though...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:15 am
Original Poster

yeah, I think we are going to see more and more. rumour has it that sprint is working with a mvno for a product in this space.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Clicking on the "coverage" tab should give us some idea.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here is another on T-Mo for just $39.99:

http://www.datajack.com/home

If it sounds too good to be true.......it usually is.

From their site:

National 3G Coverage

Coverage information is currently unavailable. Check back for updates soon.

Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
If it sounds too good to be true.......it usually is.

From their site:

National 3G Coverage

Coverage information is currently unavailable. Check back for updates soon.

I spoke briefly with them at CES and did not leave too impressed. Shame too, because on paper they look great.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is about time. These are available all over Asia and Europe.

I have a Voda for HK and a Smart for PH where I travel to and stay longer which make hotels expensive. Basically I land, fire up computer, login to web site, top up and I am ready to go.

It will be nice to have this when I am in US.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: WN RR
Originally Posted by nmenaker
rumour has it that sprint is working with a mvno for a product in this space.
It's more than a rumor. Virgin Mobile USA Broadband2Go has been on the market since Summer 2009.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:48 am
Original Poster

well there you go.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I think in Europe, they have actual SIMs, not these dongles, and you can get more favorable rates, like if you recharge 10 Euro each month, you get a couple of hundred megabytes or something like that.

So how do you re-up for another month, do they bill you or you just pay online by a credit card? The latter would give you the most flexibility. Or say it's the 15th of the month and you anticipate using 3G for a few days so you purchase for a month then. Next month, you don't need it and in fact, you might not buy data again for months. Can they maintain your account?

Better than these USB dongles would just be a SIM that you would drop into a MiFi type of device.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Riverwalk
It's more than a rumor. Virgin Mobile USA Broadband2Go has been on the market since Summer 2009.
Sprint owns Virgin Mobile. Sadly though, their service is pretty expensive. Speed is good though, because it is using Sprint.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: WN RR
Sprint owns Virgin Mobile. Sadly though, their service is pretty expensive. Speed is good though, because it is using Sprint.
The service is expensive, unless you're a very light or very occasional user, but the price of the dongles has dropped since VMUSA's sale to Sprint became final in December. It seems reasonable to expect that the price of the service will drop, too, in the face of new 4G competitors in the marketplace.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by wco81
I think in Europe, they have actual SIMs, not these dongles, and you can get more favorable rates, like if you recharge 10 Euro each month, you get a couple of hundred megabytes or something like that.

So how do you re-up for another month, do they bill you or you just pay online by a credit card? The latter would give you the most flexibility. Or say it's the 15th of the month and you anticipate using 3G for a few days so you purchase for a month then. Next month, you don't need it and in fact, you might not buy data again for months. Can they maintain your account?

Better than these USB dongles would just be a SIM that you would drop into a MiFi type of device.
My Three INQ1 phone acts as a modem when plugged into a computer, and each £10 top up gets you 150Mb free. Sadly when you hook the phone up to a windoze PC it also tries to install its own software even if you are just using the USB to charge it. Twitter and Skype (and I think Win Messenger) are free though ^ no need for any credit to use them.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Riverwalk
The service is expensive, unless you're a very light or very occasional user, but the price of the dongles has dropped since VMUSA's sale to Sprint became final in December. It seems reasonable to expect that the price of the service will drop, too, in the face of new 4G competitors in the marketplace.
I hope so...

FWIW; Verizon offers a similar service but their prices are even worse ($15/day with 75MB) or $50/month with just 500GB.

Really do hope the US catches up with Europe sooner or later...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

FWIW; Verizon offers a similar service but their prices are even worse ($15/day with 75MB) or $50/month with just 500GB.
I assume you mean 500MB? 500GB would be a steal for $50

Cheers,
Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.