Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 8:59 am
DH

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I think it is an ATT SIM. There are some corporate accounts with unlimited iPhone international data. Maybe they have MVNO status. Their AP matches ATT's as well and they offer US voice plans.

Beyond that, it is possible to write a SIM that falsely identify itself as belonging to one network when it doesn't There are devices which do precisely that to bypass carrier locks. See, e.g.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/unl...tsimunlock.htm
Has anyone used its service to unlock? I have Korea/Japan/Hong Kong trip coming up and I hoping to unlock my iPhone 3GS. (I didn't preserved the baseband before I upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 )
Old May 21, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
do most of your guys preset your apn settings before you get to your destination?
Old May 23, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by bear23
Could I potentially use the sim on a Sprint Blackberry? If not, when someone uses the iphonetrip sim in a mifi device in Europe, could you please report back and let us know how it went? Thanks!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16277601-post112.html

Check my post I used iphonetrip in Europe using a Novatel MiFi device.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by guy999
do most of your guys preset your apn settings before you get to your destination?
I had to do it after I got to my destination in Europe because the SIM did not activate until then. I suppose you can slip the SIM in and try to put in the settings but I think it might need some sort of network connection.

If I'm not mistaken you are taking a MiFi device with you? If that's the case when you put in the APN info (APN, username, password) you will also have the option to change the authentication type. When I first put in the iphonetrip SIM I simply put in the APN, username and password as instructed but it did not work. So after trying that a few times to no avail I figured I'd toggle the Authentication Type and sure enough, it worked. I think there are two choices in the drop-down box for the Authentication Type - I chose the first option (not sure what it was called).

Also, as far as using the MiFi while it is charging you CAN do that, you just have to first turn it on and get a connection, THEN you go ahead and plug it in. If you try to plug it into the wall first and then turn on the MiFi it won't work. Not sure why.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:13 pm

Guy99 have you used the iphonetrip sim and Mifi on the ship? Could u report back, please thanks!!!!
Old May 26, 2011, 2:15 am

Guy99 have you used the iphonetrip sim and Mifi on the ship? Could u report back, please thanks!!!!

currently at the frankfurt airport using the mifi and the iphone trip and it's working well, but i had to have wifi so that i knew how to get it going. i would have been smarter printing out all of the instructions or starting it a day early so i could set it up early.

anyways i will be in rome in a few hours and will test there, but currently i'm using the mifi tether to my macbook with no difficulties, and now that it's set up i should not have to change settings ever.

the download was 3.1mbps, but the upload speed was 200k, so hopefully skype audio will work, but it's 3am back home so i can't call anyone.

i will check on the cruise next .
Old May 26, 2011, 10:32 pm

your awesome! Thanks....i'll keep checking for your updates Appreciate it!!
Old May 26, 2011, 11:49 pm

your awesome! Thanks....i'll keep checking for your updates Appreciate it!!
well now i have been in rome and i'm leaving for the boat in a few hours and this thing is great, the only problem i have had is that it ran out of power, also for some reason the mifi device keeps disconnecting if i don't use it for awhile and I have to login to the device and click connect. it's not a problem but it does end up taking a couple of seconds instead of usual.

I couldn't get it to work in my nexus one, because I can't get to the apn settings unless I reset my nexus one and I don't really want to do that. Still it works very very well. I was using skype all day yesterday and calling us numbers was 2 cents per minute, and I could call the cab etc.

for some reason skype on android doesn't support sms, but google voice can't make calls without a sim card so i can use google voice for sms. it's a bit of a workaround but it does work.

even if this only works in the ports i'll be happy but so far doing great.

I would absolutely get this thing again, and wish that I had it for my last trip over here.

but the trips not over so gotta wait and see.

gotta run.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: QFF SG
Originally Posted by DeKa
Has anyone used iphonetrip.com in France and can you tell me which network it uses? I have an unlocked Huawei E585 (a "MiFi" type device for Americans) which is UMTS 2100 and UMTS900 so I am interested to know which network iphonetrip.com roams onto.

I plan to use the E585, along with a number of iPhones and an iPad.
I enquired with iPhoneTrip about their network coverage in France, and they replied with the following:
Kindly have a look at following link for network details in France: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelgu...L=250&MNC=CING
This is good for me - they roam on all the major networks. My Huawei E585 device is 2100/900 UMTS compatible, so it will work on Orange's UMTS900 network which isn't mentioned on the AT&T page... http://couverture-reseau.orange.fr/france/netenmap.php

I've just ordered my SIM and will report back when I return from the trip. I will be sharing this with 3-4 users, so US$15/day (AUD$14 a day with the current exchange rate!) is a bargain, even compared with getting local SIMs.
Old May 28, 2011, 1:32 am

Fantastic good to hear. Looking forward to your cruise report. What mifi device did you buy? Model? Thanks.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:33 am

Fantastic good to hear. Looking forward to your cruise report. What mifi device did you buy? Model? Thanks.
Currently waiting for my wife to get up from her nap for us to go to dinner, sailing away from Sicily. Iphonetrip is working great in the Novatel mifi 2352, make sure you get all of the apn settings done before you leave because it's a bit difficult to do in a airport with no internet access, i should have paid for a extra day and go it hooked up and going in the states before I left.

I'm in my stateroom and I can email and do everything and we are actually probably about 5 miles off shore right now and i'm still on edge and doing great, when we are in port i have 3g and i can voice skype without difficulty. I haven't tried video skype because it seems like there is a lot of latency or hops in these connections, something like 250ms pings. which works for skype audio but there is sometimes a delay but i don't know if it would work for video chat. i'm sure i'll try before the trip is over.

now tomorrow is a sea day as we head to athens so i will have to see if i have anything there.

ps. i bought a 3g sim from vodofone in rome, big mistake, very difficult config and not nearly as good of coverage as the iphonetrip. i just sometimes when the iphonetrip is in my nexus one am afraid that i am roaming with data and the settings on the mifi show you how much data you are using and you can get 20-30 megs in seconds, which is fine on iphonettrip but roaming data on tmobile is 20 dollars a meg or something ridiculous like that.

also get image block plugin for firefox, i got that and it's great and much fater for surfing on edge.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I imagine you were on TIM or Vodaphone if roaming on AT&T SIM.

TIM is suppose to have the best coverage in Italy.

You configure the apn via a web page to the 2352? How's battery life?

Even if you rented for one extra day, would the iPhoneTrip SIM work in the US? Would you have to include the US as one of your countries?
Old May 28, 2011, 5:26 pm

Amazing. I just ordered the 2352 now. Leaving next week, and I called to move up the activation date. It seems perfect. Im so excited. Thanks for the updates guy999 you have been a huge help!!
Old May 28, 2011, 6:42 pm

Also, could you tell me how I configure the 2352 APN for the Iphonetrip SIM. What do i type in the bowser etc. I just did it on an iphone I think, but haven't gotten the MIFI yet via FedEx. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2011, 8:26 pm

Ipad2

I've been a lurked on this forum for ages, and I have to say the information has been extremely helpful. Thanks so much.

Just a quick question ... Has anyone used an iPad 2 with the microSim? I remember reading in a different forum that using iPad 1 sims in the iPad 2 will not work (for the people trying to retain their unlimited data plan). The iphonetrip site does show an ipad2 as an option, however I want to make sure the sims work as well.

Thanx in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.