Wiki Posts
Search

Tech Makeover Request

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mbreuer
That's only for the router as an extra line or two. Can't apply it to a cell phone. And with the $15/mo version you're paying $120 for a $30 router
My apologies. I read it wrong.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I am baised but here goes anyway

I like the idea of a Notebook over desktop, while more money it is portable.
I do not like smart phones I make and receive calls nothing else so I would stay with a good simple phone.
If you have Internet access you can use Yahoo mail Gmail mail or theirs for a email account and have email access from anywhere with a Internet connection.
Since you are streaming movies from netflix I assume you have a Comcast High Speed Internet account, if this is true get rid of AOL and use Comcast or one of the others I noted for email.
So recommendations, I prefer PC over MAC (Yes, I said it out loud) why becasue I do not like paying a premium. BTW, I have used both recently had a 17 MACBook Pro supplied by work nice machine but to me they are tools. I recently purchased a ThinkPad becasue I travel quite a bit and they hold up well. I have had Dell's HP's and Toshiba's also in the past but for my money I selected Thinkpad. These machines with Win 7 nice processor large hard drive and memory should be under 1K. When looking at a PC select the Chip that has 6MB L2 Cache (3 per core, 12MB if a Quad Core) this will help performance. I would suggest 4GB of RAM , to expensive for more at this time in a notebook. Get a 500GB Hard Drive and the DVD drive of your choice. These machines come with USB and Fire-wire connections so you should be good to go.
As for Cell plans I am not in the Mpls area much anymore so I can not say which service is the best, but that is how I would make my choice. When I worked in Brooklyn Park Verizon Service and ATT worked pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.