Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linux Netbook Option Gone

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Linux Netbook Option Gone

The availability of Windows 7 on Netbooks from HP coincided with the removal of the Linux (Mi) option. Has anyone noticed anything similar from other vendors?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I know that many vendors have been wanting to get away from it, as there is a much higher return rate on Linux machines then windows ones (MSI says four times higher for example). I know Dell still offers it, it's still like $75 less then a Windows version.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I was just curious about the timing. It seems like a competing option was removed one day before the release of Windows 7. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems like Microsoft might have had something to do with that.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
I know that many vendors have been wanting to get away from it, as there is a much higher return rate on Linux machines then windows ones (MSI says four times higher for example). I know Dell still offers it, it's still like $75 less then a Windows version.
Why do linux laptops get returned more than non-linux laptops? Do you know?

I'm running Ubuntu on a few laptops (installed myself) and Ubuntu truly rocks. I'm not even thinking of going to W7 at this point. Ubuntu is amazing.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:59 am
In Memoriam

Computer illiterate people (not meant in a negative way) buy them because they are cheap.

Somewhere along the way they realize they don't have a clue what Linux is, or that their work IT people don't support it, or they can't install that copy of Office 2003 on it.

Dell says it's not for technical reasons (Microsoft of course is all over it in their advertising), but, quoting Todd Finch, Dell senior product marketing manager for Dell (he by the way says it's a non issue, they get returns for Linux and Windows in equal amounts, but Dell has done tons to make sure Linux works with their product)

Where consumers have returned machines, Finch said, it wasn't because of technical problems but because they'd bought a low-priced machine expecting Windows and opened it to find a different interface. Consumers had responded to the low price, he said - the Mini 10v retails for $299 online.

"Now we are trying to be a little more explicit in our advertising," Finch said.

"We are not seeing any technical reasons for why they are returning Linux machines so...we don't see a significant difference between the return rate for Windows versus the rate for Linux. We've been quite pleased with the stability and technical soundness of the Linux machines."

But that doesn't mean netbooks are a shoo-in for Linux. Issues persist, particularly in battery life and power consumption, as well as with the number of applications available from major ISVs that run on Linux.

Power management will become more of an issue for Linux with Microsoft's Windows 7, Finch said, while he encouraged OpenSource World attendees to focus on writing cloud-based applications capable of running on any machine.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
LOL that's funny.

Thanks for the insight.

Most people are clueless. This is probably why Linux has not caught on as much.

But Ubuntu rocks.

PS - don't quite understand the part about power management will be more of an issue for Linux with W7. Makes no sense to me.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam

W7 has extensive power management features built into it in dealing with clock cycles, video cycles, idling devices, etc.

Once the hardware can support it battery life will be improved, some say considerably.

Unix will need to add the same support for it to compete for that ever popular coast to coast without charging crowd.

Microsoft has a 14 page white paper on it (no registration or anything needed)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Whitepaper.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.