Wiki Posts
Search

Men traveling liquid free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjl
Seems like the way to go liquid-free is:

* No shampoo (use what is provided at the hotel).
* No soap (use what is provided at the hotel).
* No toothpaste (bring powder or buy at destination).
* No shaving cream (shave without).
* No perfume (your neighbors within 4 seats will thank you for not sharing your perfume preferences with them).
* No sunscreen (buy at destination if necessary).
* No hair gel (no need if your hair is short or long).
No shampoo - Use hotel or bring dry shampoo or soap
No soap - See above
No toothpaste - use powder or Dr. Bronner peppermint soap
No shave cream - use soap, Bronner soap, conditioner at hotel, special shaving soap, use electric razor, shave without (ouch)
No perfume - use non (hm, I like a discreet smell. No one more than a foot away from me will smell it), use the spray the suitcase technique, use paper samples from magazines
No sunscreen - I think there is dry sunscreen, no? Or buy at destination.
No hair gel - most men with short hair would not agree that you don't need some form of gel. Women might have cuts that are even more in need of some hold. So hair gel is really a bit of the last frontier as I said in my initial post. However, I am happy to report that there are quite a few clay and wax products on the market that should pass as solids and are easily repackaged in smaller doses.

By the way, my American Crew Fiber product which I put into contact lens containers is probably good for at least 20 days. I have been using it for seven days now and the one lens container is not even half empty, so i have used perhaps 25% of the total volume in seven days.

So I think I found my liquid free Nirvana. Mission accomplished.

Till
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I almost never fly with liquids... but then again I cheat

I fly to the same places almost every week, so the places that I fly the most (which is only 2 places and that accounts for 90% or more of my travel) I just leave a toiletry bag in the city somewhere. Won't work for all (or maybe even most) but may work for some.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Hair Gel - A real problem. Anything suitable is at least waxy or pomade consistency. Hotels don't supply it. I use my own mix in a Gotoob.
For Hair Gel I use the Aveda Solid Stick. Never had a TSA question and it works great. Just rub a bit on your hand and then rub it into wet hair.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by learned
For Hair Gel I use the Aveda Solid Stick. Never had a TSA question and it works great. Just rub a bit on your hand and then rub it into wet hair.
What is the exact name of that product? I looked for it but they seem to have a few things that it could be and I wasnt sure which one you were referring to. Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
I've settled for the fact that I'll need to carry some liquids. Until this afternoon, I've never been in a "The Container Store" in my life. Turns out, they have a pretty decent travel section with a big selection of Nalgene travel bottles of many sizes.

They also have many of Eagle Creek packing envelopes and cubes. Best yet, if I recall correctly, they only stock them in the color black. I've been to many stores and it seems they only stock (or have left over) the other colors. ^

If you're looking for small travel bottles, check out The Container Store. Each bottle is .79 cents or .99 cents.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MM983
I've settled for the fact that I'll need to carry some liquids. Until this afternoon, I've never been in a "The Container Store" in my life. Turns out, they have a pretty decent travel section with a big selection of Nalgene travel bottles of many sizes.

They also have many of Eagle Creek packing envelopes and cubes. Best yet, if I recall correctly, they only stock them in the color black. I've been to many stores and it seems they only stock (or have left over) the other colors. ^

If you're looking for small travel bottles, check out The Container Store. Each bottle is .79 cents or .99 cents.
Ah, the life-changing container store visit. Welcome to the Club!

The EC accessories look best in black, I agree. However, if you use more than one of each, you can color code them which is nifty. I only use one folder, one packing cube and one little pac-it baggie as my inflight bag. So no need for color coding. But it can be very handy.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Ah, the life-changing container store visit. Welcome to the Club!

The EC accessories look best in black, I agree. However, if you use more than one of each, you can color code them which is nifty. I only use one folder, one packing cube and one little pac-it baggie as my inflight bag. So no need for color coding. But it can be very handy.
It was like my life changed after seeing that huge collection of bottles, haha.
I bought a few to test out with.. the ones I currently have are small, but these are a little smaller. I'm trying to find a solution for the two to three day trips.

Yep, that's what I bought; one Pack-It 15 and one Pack-It Tube Cube.

When I was at L.L.Bean yesterday, I found this (I got a different color, though ). I wonder if I can get away with just leaving the small tube inside the handle and not bother putting it into the 311 bag.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: CO Elite Platinum
Had come across this thread a while back but nobody seems to have a good solution, so I'm back to report my findings (and they are good!).

My story: I've been taking the little cans of gilette foam in my 3-1-1 bag for years and have tried the shave powder, the shave oil, soap, aloe, and a number of other things to try and reduce space/weight in my bag. My beard hair is very thick and I'm prone to ingrown hairs and irritation on my neck as a result, so I'm picky on what I use to shave with.

The solution: My wife picked up some new shower soap for me last week and while I was in the shower I realized that it lathers much more than "regular" shower soap. Although I tried shaving with a number of soaps before giving up on them, I wanted to give this one a try because it lathered more and was more "slippery" than regular soap. It's called Lever 2000 "Pure Rain".

It gave me a clean, close shave with no more irritation than I would get with my expensive aveeno sensitive skin shave gel. Just make sure to work it up into a real thick lather and put it on a warm, wet face. I've been shaving with it at home for a week now and wanted to share it with you. I took a small "chunk" of a bar and stuck it in my shave baggie for my next trip (tomorrow, UK). The chunk takes up less room than the cap from my mini shaving cream container used to.

Lever 2000 "Pure Rain" - find it at Walmart, Target, pharmacy, etc.

See picture:

Enjoy!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I now just carry my deodorant, toothpaste and eye drops in my carry on packed somewhere, they don't care I also carry a soap similar to the one above in a ziploc bag, but it is just to prevent it from getting wet before I get it wet, I don't take it out.

I haven't carried an actual kippie bag in 3 months or so now. I packed one 2 months ago and decided I was not going to keep it all in there, just spread the items around and it was no problem.

Once a screener asked which liquids she was seeing in there, I said eye drops, she said ok and I went on me merry way ^

Note it is all very small containers and amounts, normally at the top of my rollaboard in the see thru portion so if they DID bag check it is easy to show.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:17 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
For men that are prone to ingrown hairs, try using OXY pads. Just a few swipes before moisturizer and while it works best immediately after the shave, it can also be used on a clean face and neck before bed instead.

If you prefer a more boutique scent, Biss Spa also sells their own version for about $40.

It's the same concept as another product called Tend Skin which I find rather smelly.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:30 pm

well I remember dealing with contact solution like you mentioned and I would recommend getting lasik. It is pretty cheap these days.

Also my orthodontist stocks these single use toothbrushes that have toothpaste embedded in them. I dont know what brand they are but ask your local dentist who can order them. Disposibility is a great thing for traveling with no liquid.

Or I was thinking the liquidless passenger could use their 311 bag for alcohol carry on. Saving money on drinks would be a great thing.

No shampoo - Use hotel or bring dry shampoo or soap
No soap - See above
No toothpaste - use powder or Dr. Bronner peppermint soap
No shave cream - use soap, Bronner soap, conditioner at hotel, special shaving soap, use electric razor, shave without (ouch)
No perfume - use non (hm, I like a discreet smell. No one more than a foot away from me will smell it), use the spray the suitcase technique, use paper samples from magazines
No sunscreen - I think there is dry sunscreen, no? Or buy at destination.
No hair gel - most men with short hair would not agree that you don't need some form of gel. Women might have cuts that are even more in need of some hold. So hair gel is really a bit of the last frontier as I said in my initial post. However, I am happy to report that there are quite a few clay and wax products on the market that should pass as solids and are easily repackaged in smaller doses.

By the way, my American Crew Fiber product which I put into contact lens containers is probably good for at least 20 days. I have been using it for seven days now and the one lens container is not even half empty, so i have used perhaps 25% of the total volume in seven days.

So I think I found my liquid free Nirvana. Mission accomplished.

Till
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:15 pm

I guess I really don't see the euphoria behind liquid-free travel. My kippie bag doesn't weigh that much, and if I have to take my netbook out for screening I might as well put the kippie bag in the same tray.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by C. Howitt Fealz
I guess I really don't see the euphoria behind liquid-free travel. My kippie bag doesn't weigh that much, and if I have to take my netbook out for screening I might as well put the kippie bag in the same tray.
Yes. I agree with this.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
My minimal kippie bag has not been out for over a year. If they ever ask I will say, "sorry, I forgot." They haven't. Not yet anyway.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by C. Howitt Fealz
But not everyone travels with a laptop/netbook. If not, then just being able to shove your bag through the x-ray is preferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.