Men traveling liquid free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Men traveling liquid free

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:06 pm
Formerly known as katzalex

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hertz Platinum, Marriot Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Aveda has hair gel which comes like the little soap sheets which are very common. They usually keep it behind the counter so you have to ask for it. It's pricey, but it takes almost no space.
I use an Aveda 'wax' hair gel that has never come out of my bag or been questioned by TSA. I assume it looks like a solid on the x-ray...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Thought provoking thread. Can anyone suggest a good face wipe to clean and refresh for men? Individually packed if possible? I had some but forget what they were . Basically something to refresh with during long flights or in hot climates. Trying to find the ones we had but any suggestions would be appreciated. Hypo-allergenic preferred. Thanks.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Oct 12, 2009 at 9:42 pm
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by katzalex
I use an Aveda 'wax' hair gel that has never come out of my bag or been questioned by TSA. I assume it looks like a solid on the x-ray...
Hm, now I am wondering whether this is just a super brilliant idea and why I didn't think of it before or whether I'd be unlucky enough that TSA would question it in my case.

Can you check what the exact name of the product is, please?

I've used wax for a long time. Not sure how it would look now that my hair is thinner. I might try it out. Another advantage would be that wax is rather easy to refill into a tiny tiger balm container or a little nalgene container.

Till
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by winnietp
I just ordered the sampler of the La Fresh products (the deodorant wipes will save some room in the bag) and the styling gel is indeed just liquid in a pouch. Kinda disappointing. . .
I ordered some LA Fresh products a while back. The packets of shaving cream are great. The deodorant not so much. Be aware that they're not antiperspirant if that matters. I seem to remember that they use tea tree extract as a germ killer. I think I bought twenty packets and threw away fifteen of them.

Gadgetfreak- check out the LA Fresh site. They probably have something like you're looking for.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:44 am

I ordered some LA Fresh products a while back. The packets of shaving cream are great. The deodorant not so much. Be aware that they're not antiperspirant if that matters. I seem to remember that they use tea tree extract as a germ killer. I think I bought twenty packets and threw away fifteen of them.

Gadgetfreak- check out the LA Fresh site. They probably have something like you're looking for.
Thanks. They do have a moisterizer that might work. And thanks for the warning about the deodorant, I was about to order some. I was reviewing my liquids for travel and really all I need are deodorant, non-prescription eye drops and toothpaste. Im wondering what the current experience people are having with non-prescription eye drops, to those have to go in the Kippie bag or can they go on their own. I know that prescription liquids dont need to go into the Kippie, but what about non-prescription meds? They changed the rules on that if I recall and I wasnt sure of the current status.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:31 am

Really, when packing small, I think the toughest thing is deodorant. In NYC we really just have three large drugstore chains and just a few independent pharmacies. They all carry the exact same stuff. Anything I see in a travel size stands three inches tall and two inches of it is the mechanism to push the stuff out. It seems like someone would figure out a way to minimize the packaging and increase the amount of product.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:39 am

Really, when packing small, I think the toughest thing is deodorant. In NYC we really just have three large drugstore chains and just a few independent pharmacies. They all carry the exact same stuff. Anything I see in a travel size stands three inches tall and two inches of it is the mechanism to push the stuff out. It seems like someone would figure out a way to minimize the packaging and increase the amount of product.
FYI the best place I have seen for interesting travel versions of drug store products is Cambridge Chemist. Forget the location, but somewhere just off Madison in the 60s or 70s.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:50 am

solution 1. i pack everything i may need or want and check the baggage. problem solved. i have been traveling for 25 years or so and checking baggage is really not that big of a deal.
solution 2. buy what i need when i get there.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by 4444
solution 1. i pack everything i may need or want and check the baggage. problem solved. i have been traveling for 25 years or so and checking baggage is really not that big of a deal.
solution 2. buy what i need when i get there.
I'm wondering if there's an empty BigGulp cup in the beverage holder of your van?

Honestly, I think this is more of a challenge to see who can pack the smallest than anything else. It's like cell phones. The one with the smallest is the coolest!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Kettle
Maybe I am crazy, but I don't consider stick deodorant/antiperspirant to be a 'liquid', and I don't put mine in the kippie bag, it stays in my toiletry kit. I've never been hassled about it in any airport
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
talking about this?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...-me-break.html
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:17 pm

For a solid lotion, I use Johnson's smooth and protect balm. It goes on like a deodorant stick and I picked it up at Target in the baby aisle.
http://johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=29
It does have a light baby-ish scent, but nothing too flowery and perhaps for a man, smelling like a baby is better than smelling like a woman...
Amazon and drugstore.com has this item, too.
Neutrogena also makes a sunblock in a similar format.

For those who object smelling like a baby, etsy.com search:lotion bar brings up lots of bar lotion options.
http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p..._desc&ship_to=
Etsy is full of wonderful crafters and some also take custom orders so you can request unscented or something else you favor.

Actually, etsy's a great place to find all sorts of travel friendly products like solid shampoos. There's even tooth powder! http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p..._desc&ship_to=

A light pomade might replace hair gel in a pinch.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I think I've said that before but clearly the best thing for deodorant, traveling or not, is crystal deodorant. I just got a six pack of 2oz crystals for $15 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Fres...459807&sr=8-34

These things are tiny at about 3x1", light and have minimal packaging. They are entirely solid, won't melt, can be used as a styptic pencil, last for at least one year of daily use (each stick), don't add any unwelcome fragrance to your body and THEY WORK.

This particular one has Aloe Vera added to it to make it gentler on the skin. I haven't tried it out yet but haven't had any concern with my previous one without Aloe.

The crystal deos also exist in a bigger form but for traveling they are overkill. The small one is just ideal.

It also helps to keep your pits trimmed and groomed rather short.

Finally, with this deodorant you would definitely win the smallest/coolest challenge.

Till
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

I just got a jar of American Crew "Fiber". It is best described as a wax. See my post here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12654511-post11.html

Will let you know how TSA likes it.

Till
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by tfar
Hm, that's a good idea. I have tried that with stuff like lip balm and nasal spray before. Never had any problems. So I guess I just could put my 1.2oz hair gel gotoob and my 0.5oz shave oil in my pocket.

I wonder if they would give you a hard time for "artfully concealed" stuff. I mean carrying hairgel and shave oil in your trouser pockets is obviously a way to circumvent the 311 rule. Kind of hard to talk your way out of that.

Till
Well I think if they are trying to limit fluids, there are ways that more than they allow is getting thru. This could be dangerous if the limit of liquids is what they think can cause problems. I may just try to get an extra cologne thru every once in a while. I hope others arent looking to do stuff that could harm us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.