Lightest carry-on bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
These look really nice. Shame they don't make a 22" version. But for Europe, this would be a winner.
That's the hardest part of choosing a carry-on. Most good bags are 55x35x23 *or* 55x40x20. There are very few decent 55x35x20 bags that work well for both US and international travel.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
These look really nice. Shame they don't make a 22" version. But for Europe, this would be a winner.
I think if the interior were 22", the exterior would be so big, there's no way it could pass as a carry on on any airline. It's pushing it already. Quality seems pretty good though, and it's nice to have all those exterior pockets (generally two; a top opening in the front, and a bigger one underneaththat opens along the side). The super ultra lights, tend to feel weirder. This just feels like any other normal carry on that can weigh twice as much. The two wheel one is actually quite a bit smaller on the outside compared to the 4 wheel, even tho both have the same interior dimensions.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by mster
The new Patagonia Black Hole MLC is excellent at 1505g and less if you ditch the shoulder strap. Much more organization and a bit more rigidity than expected.
It has some nifty features but still a full kilo heavier than the Cabin Zero, which is a big deal on LH, OS or LX where 8 kilos is all you get.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
It has some nifty features but still a full kilo heavier than the Cabin Zero, which is a big deal on LH, OS or LX where 8 kilos is all you get.
If you're concerned about weight alone then the Patagonia Black Hole backpack 32L is 850g ? It's close to impossible to keep total weight under 7 or 8kg for any bag with a total volume over 35L.

Personally I use a Patagonia Black Hole 25L that's 680g as a personal item and a MLC as my carry-on. If anyone ever weighed my bags, which hasn't happened yet, I'd just check the MLC. I keep the 25L bag under 7kg and everything of value stays in there.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:59 am

If you're concerned about weight alone then the Patagonia Black Hole backpack 32L is 850g ? It's close to impossible to keep total weight under 7 or 8kg for any bag with a total volume over 35L.

Personally I use a Patagonia Black Hole 25L that's 680g as a personal item and a MLC as my carry-on. If anyone ever weighed my bags, which hasn't happened yet, I'd just check the MLC. I keep the 25L bag under 7kg and everything of value stays in there.
The 44L Cabin Zero is officially 760g but I think mine weighs a little less. Of course you can overweight it like anything but it's nice to have room inside to bring stuff home from trips as a checked bag if necessary.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by fk1991
Arcido Faroe is a high end carry-on backpack which weighs just 900g (2lb)! I've got one and it's great. I'd highly recommend it as it's a lot better than other carry-ons I've used costing double. You can get it on their website or Amazon.
The two best travel backpacks IMO are the Arcido Faroe and the CabinZero Military. Can't go wrong with either - the Faroe has more features and more 'stylish', but the CabinZero is more rugged and I personally think it looks better.

https://www.arcido.com/products/faroe?ref=597f2aa043c33

https://www.cabinzero.com/collections/military
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:36 pm

I have Travelpro Maxlite3, and it is both durable and lightweight. Take a look at reviews of best carry-on to buy and see it compared with 9 others.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I got us 2 of the 43 liter cabinzero 760 gm backpacks. This thing is just great. I can tell it is lighter than my Patagonia 45 liter MLC, my back thanks me, and I dont miss the 2 liters. we are flying a lot of Air New Zealand in the next 2 weeks and the lighter back pack has paid off, and almost certainly will on the next flights. Bunch of Africa bush flights in August will also help.
NYTA likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:47 am

Light And Easy Bag To Carry

Originally Posted by crumble
With the tight carry-on bag rules on most European airlines (LH: 8 kg and 55x40x20 cm, SAS: 8 kg and 23x40x55 cm, UK one bag rule etc.) packing light isn't simply enough, but you also need to find a very light carry-on bag. What is the lightest (yet sturdy) carry-on bag you've bought and used?
Hey... I Used To Carry TravelPro Maxlite 4 21" Expandable Spinner. Which will available for only $89. Easy to handle and carry. Why can't you try this for your next journey...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Curios as to how well these sub 3.5lb bags hold up to abuse. I expect my bags to get wet, get literally thrown 50 feet by baggage handlers, get stepped on, get dragged and still look good for traveling up to 30 to 50 trips a year for up to a decade or more. (Well over 500 trips in some instances). My Tumi has done it, I expect my travel pro platinum to do it, my nomatic is doing it currently and I expect my Tortuga to do it and am told the Peak, Aer and Tom Bihns can do it. I suspect since pac safe is slash proof it can do it. I know there are many others I’ve not mentioned.

My Samsonites get destroyed after a couple years.

Exactly zero of of those bags are under 4lbs.

Does anyone have the lighter weight bags that can do it or is this mostly a discussion for people who travel less than a dozen trips a year and can get away w it?

I pretty much only buy ballistic nylon, Canvas/waxed canvas; Ripstop sail cloth, tarpaulin fabric or something like 900D polyester with a heavy DWR coating at the lightest.

Convince me these lighter weight options are as durable.

For reference, many pilots still have to carry luggage works stealth bags just to avoid having to constantly repair or replace their bags.....and that’s considering that they rarely let baggage handlers touch them..

That bag used by pilots.....weighs over 14lbs or 6350gms

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 15, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Allentown
Curios as to how well these sub 3.5lb bags hold up to abuse. I expect my bags to get wet, get literally thrown 50 feet by baggage handlers, get stepped on, get dragged and still look good for traveling up to 30 to 50 trips a year for up to a decade or more. (Well over 500 trips in some instances). My Tumi has done it, I expect my travel pro platinum to do it, my nomatic is doing it currently and I expect my Tortuga to do it and am told the Peak, Aer and Tom Bihns can do it. I suspect since pac safe is slash proof it can do it. I know there are many others I’ve not mentioned.

My Samsonites get destroyed after a couple years.

Exactly zero of of those bags are under 4lbs.

Does anyone have the lighter weight bags that can do it or is this mostly a discussion for people who travel less than a dozen trips a year and can get away w it?

I pretty much only buy ballistic nylon, Canvas/waxed canvas; Ripstop sail cloth, tarpaulin fabric or something like 900D polyester with a heavy DWR coating at the lightest.

Convince me these lighter weight options are as durable.

For reference, many pilots still have to carry luggage works stealth bags just to avoid having to constantly repair or replace their bags.....and that’s considering that they rarely let baggage handlers touch them..

That bag used by pilots.....weighs over 14lbs or 6350gms

When was the last time you saw a pilot be asked to check a bag? I’ve never thought that the idea that flight crews use a bag had much usefulness for the rest of us. I think most, if not all, people looking for very light bags aren’t planning to check them. I have experience with B&R, Red Oxx, Tom Bihn and Sfbags (Waterfield Designs). All seem bulletproof. The B&R Baseline rollers are the heaviest. I’ve been using a couple of them since the 90s and flying about a quarter million miles a year for much of that.
Silver Fox and Santander like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:01 pm

Flight crews aren't subject to an 8kg weight restriction on carry-ons like pax on Lufthansa or Austrian
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by NYTA
Flight crews aren't subject to an 8kg weight restriction on carry-ons like pax on Lufthansa or Austrian
Yep. Exactly.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

When was the last time you saw a pilot be asked to check a bag?’ve never thought that the idea that flight crews use a bag had much usefulness for the rest of us. I think most, if not all, people looking for very light bags aren’t planning to check them. I have experience with B&R, Red Oxx, Tom Bihn and Sfbags (Waterfield Designs). All seem bulletproof. The B&R Baseline rollers are the heaviest. I’ve been using a couple of them since the 90s and flying about a quarter million miles a year for much of that.

After talking to some pilot friends (and family) I felt the need to add one more update to explain. Unless you are commuting on the RJs regularly (which I always do) the situation is different. The amount of damage luggage throwers can do to forced pink tagged luggage on RJs (and yes I just confirmed this is a REGULAR for pilots also who deal w RJs minutes ago) I s the stuff of legend among pilots and crew. Now I don’t have my baggage thrown up to 7 times day by the rampers like pilots, but I do endure it about twice a day twice a week.

I was reminded that MANY regular flyers don’t have to deal w this particular aspect of travel on a regular basis and in some cases not ever,

Its almost two different classes of flyers and conversations.....those who have to deal w commutes and those who don’t. Those who don’t on a regular basis won’t understand, have the perspective or experience etc. to comment appropriately in dealing with those who do commute. Its worlds different.

I am going to have to eventually give Red Oxx a try.

FWIW pilots do have to check bags some times when space runs low or if they are just getting from A to B as passengers etc. Yes i have seen, it, yes pilots talk about it, yes they usually try to avoid it but yest it still happens. Anyway, I think the topic went to an area of focus that wasn't really my issue. I was saying "look, these people baby their bags and they still use heavier bags because travel is so destructive on bags" and everyone went "but they don't check their bags".... (yea that is kinda my point...they don't check them usually and they still use heavy bags because travel is hard on bags...)

Kinda proving my point for me. If a pilot needs a luggage works to keep it in one piece and it never leaves their hands....then imagine what we in all reality need in terms of bag construction when we DO check our luggage? I usually don't have my carry on actually weighed (actually it has never happened to me) so absolute weight is less of a concern when you mostly check in valet/plane side for the smaller commuter flights. The biggest issue is picking it up into the over head bin after you make your connection to that larger plane and carry it on, but i have don't yet have a struggle with lifting my bags into the bin as i usually pack fairly light in terms of what goes IN the bag anyway.

All you need for any trip, 3 weeks or 3 months is 3 merino wool t shirts and about the same number of merino wool socks and under ware. The rest is all just extras. Id use that space for very light weight rain proof gear (some cold weather items like a beanie, scarf or neck gaiter, coat and gloves if it's cold) and a few tech items and or one or two dress up items such as button down shirt or polo. Rick Steves has it right you know. Honestly weight (for me at least) is much less a concern than having a durable bag and understanding how to pack it (and that most people don't need most of the stuff they travel with). Unfotunately for me...i have to throw a suit on top and some extra button down shirts...

You know what? I talked myself into it. I think I am going to order a Stealthworks 22 with suiter just to have one in my stable. LOL.....

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 16, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

have you, or anyone else with the Patagonia black hole, had to check it and if so would you trust its material / construction to hold up to it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.