Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:59 pm

Mandarina Duck has a store locator and also sells via their website
http://www.mandarinaduck.com/us/store/

I've also seen an Outlet in Sawgrass Mills near Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They might also be in the premium outlet in Orlando?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:00 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Hello all (in fairness up front I have not read all 20 pages of the thread),

I have 100$ to spend at Rick Steves' travel store.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=527

Does anyone have any experiance with this carry on bag. I like that is is under 7 lbs and it is about the only thing I could use from that website but I could get a gift for someone else if the bag is not sturdy.

Thanks for any reviews,
FH
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:01 pm

I owned and used one in the 1990's, for local excursions.

The bags are well made and will hold enough clothing items for a short trip. My wife and I used the carry-on bag for train trips ( usually 3+ days ) down to Venezia on weekends. The bags do not provide protection for delicate or breakable items, and require an umbrella to keep contents dry if one is walking about in the rain.

Eventually my wife found a leather version in Como (main tobacco shop in the Piazza) which she preferred. That leather bag became one of her purse collections, and I ended up carrying both of our get away items as a result. The carry-on bag became too small for both of out items, so I gave it away and just used a Rimowa Topas or Salsa carry-on case.

If one will take care of this bag and try and protect it, I would think it would last a decade or so at the very least.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
In my on-going quest for a bag that is light but still offers occasional protection for fragile/delicate items, I have taken to carrying (or, on occasion, purchasing at a local supermarket) cheap plastic containers (Glad makes them in a wide variety of sized). I even got a small Rubbermaid tub for my soft-sided checked bag for a trip to Madagascar. I also frequently carry a poster tube stuffed with small stuff - great for protecting very small or long thin fragiles, as well as the occasional item like an unframed piece of artwork.

I stuff them with socks/smalls/toiletries/whatever on the outbound. If necessary, I use them to protect fragile or delicate items on the return (or I just carry those items in a carry-on.

I do a lot of rural travelling, where it is not uncommon to buy something fragile at a street market where the only available wrapping is newspaper.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I also frequently carry a poster tube stuffed with small stuff - great for protecting very small or long thin fragiles, as well as the occasional item like an unframed piece of artwork.
I have one of these as well. This is the smallest plastic one I've found; it collapses to just 17 inches lengthwise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by drbobguy
I have one of these as well. This is the smallest plastic one I've found; it collapses to just 17 inches lengthwise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Yes! Forgot to mention that, I have a large one (only size the shop had). Great for posters, unframed art work or even small or long, thin fragile stuff. I met two guys in Chile that were using the long ones to carry fishing rods.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
We use Ebags Motherlode Convertable. We still have to struggle with 7kg carry on limits in Australia and Asia but fill up Scottevest pockets too. I just wish the airlines would be more reasonable about the weight, it's hard to squeak in with camera and lenses.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:44 pm

< 2 lbs Carry On + Roll Aboard Tote

Eagle Creek Digi Hauler 22"x14"x9" and < 2 lbs.

I combine this with a Travelpro roll aboard tote.

Awesome combo.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Dave91836
Eagle Creek Digi Hauler 22"x14"x9" and < 2 lbs.
That looks intriguing. I just looked at the pictures. Does it have a sleeve on the back to slide over your roller handle when turned sideways?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under 5ft6? Need a sub 8inch/20cm deep case? A Samsonite 2 wheel roller under 1.5kgs

Unfortunately, it's an obsolete model but those in Western Europe can purchase it for under 40Euros including delivery from www.jeteasy.ie.

http://www.jeteasy.ie/shop/item.aspx?itemid=27

Part of the Samsonite Sammies range.

I thought the handle might be too short for me but it's fine. Won't be comfortable for anyone taller.

Bought it for my young daughter as Ryanair, Easyjet and Monarch are the main flight operators between London and Alicante, Spain. We sometimes use Air China (20cm depth maximum) and SAS, Austrian etc (23cm and with low total weight stipulations) to go to Japan also.
Had bought a 4 wheeled Lipault but had no intention of trying to convince a Ryanair employee that my lovely pink suitcase was actually within their sizing guidelines as stated on the Lipault website (the actual depth as measured in the real world by airlines is closer to 24cm rather than the advertised 20cm )

I wrote a full review of the Samsonite Wigwam case here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20166931-post10.html
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That looks intriguing. I just looked at the pictures. Does it have a sleeve on the back to slide over your roller handle when turned sideways?
No the Digi Hauler backpack doesn't have a sleeve for a roller handle. The Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender does have a pass-through slot.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/ec-advent...der-bag/d/1200

Last edited by freecia; Feb 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:04 pm

I have been lurking on this forums for a while and have been doing my own research on carry-ons(specifically spinners below 2.5kgs or 5.5lbs) as with most airlines I fly on(mainly Etihad,Emirates) have a 7kg limit.

I have been using the Rimowa Salsa Air cabin spinner( 1.9kgs) but have been unhappy with the single pole handle(any bag will wobble on it) and the fact that it's a hard case with no outside zippers means it's a struggle to get anything out at security.

So after much research, I bought the Delsey U-lite (soft case, 2.3kgs, 45L) and most importantly,spinner and with a large outside pocket(which fits my mac and toiletries for easy access at security) http://www.johnlewis.com/231747218/Product.aspx (link to the bag I got) It's not cheap at £145 but it's so well made(my first Delsey as I am normally a samsonite/rimowa fan) and it's going on its first trip this week to the far east.

I shall report back with wear and tear! Thanks for all the suggestions and info in this thread and I'm glad I'm able to contribute this time round.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:29 am

I have been looking at this one
MultiBag Foldaway Wheeled Cabin Holdall
35 to 56 Litres – One Bag – 6 different sizes - £65
http://flylite.uk.com/Lightweight-Lu...Solutions.aspx

For wheeled bag it is pretty light - about 5 lbs
But I haven't bought it yet

Maybe someone else has experience
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:45 pm

I've been looking for a lightweight carry on for use domestically in Australia. Came across this Caribee bag which looks like a good option to me as its light and seems to use space well.
Anyone have one of these?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:13 pm

Anyone got any suggestions for a backpacker-type backpack that is still small enough to carry on? I saw a couple at Walmart that were made by a company called "Outdoor Products". Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.