Wiki Posts
Search

Another Carry-On Thread - New Weekly Traveler Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Another Carry-On Thread - New Weekly Traveler Here

Hey guys,

Just got a consulting job and will be traveling every week. I need to purchase a carry-on that will work for Monday-Thursday traveling. So far I have spoken with two other guys I will be working with and one recommended a Delsey, the other recommended a Victorinox Swiss Army. Any advice would help, I also would like recommendations on other brands if you guys have some in mind.

As for those two brands, I have narrowed it down to either a Delsey Helium Pilot 22" or a Victorinox Swiss Army Werks 2.0 22". I also found a good deal on a Swiss Army Mobilizer NXT 3.0 for $170. I know it is the older model, as the new NXT is the 4.0.

So I was wondering, out of these two brands, am I on the right track? Is a 22" a good size, or should I go for a 21" or 20". I have read quite a few threads saying the 20" is better, but I prefer any extra space I can get. I will be traveling domestic in the US out of LAX on mostly major airlines.

Also, has anyone used or know about the NXT 3.0? How does it differ from the 4.0? Is it worth buying an older model for such a good price?

MY NEEDS: Carry-on with wheels, allows attaching a laptop briefcase to for rolling through the airport, has a suitor in it (although it will be used mainly for dress shirts and not suits).

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Delsey, hands down. I had a Victor Inox laptop roller which was horrible. I gave it away. I love my delsey laptop roller. I want a delsey rollaboard as well but can't justify that until I have worn out the case I have now.

I have Delsey checked bags as well and love them.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
removed by OP as double posted.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:40 pm

I don't know about those other products, but can I say that this http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...ry&prodtemp=t1 bag, to me is top knotch!

I want to hear if other people have anything to say about it.

I think its perfect. I love it!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
I would recommend Rimowa,and salsa deluxe series is good for weely travel.
The wheel and divider design are best than other else.
Its may over your budget,however I never regret using Rimowa.

Check their webiste
http://www.rimowa.com/main.php?count...product/852.52
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Don't buy the expensive ones

They just get torn up. I bought a $350 Briggs & Riley at the same time my partner bought a $29 American Traveller from WalMart, and guess what? My oh-so-fabulous one got torn up and the zippers all shredded after the second trip! Then, it took 3 weeks and the cost of S&H to get it repaired. Then on the next trip, several of the zipper pulls were broken. Trash. OTOH, I started using the $29 one, and it has not had a single issue and been used the exact same way. Even if it does not, you can afford to get TWELVE of them for the price of ONE B&R.

I have been doing this weekly travelling for ten years, and have used dozens of types and brands, both soft and hard-shelled. One thing that I have learned is that they are all essentially the same thing, with the only difference in cost and features. Whoop-de-doo for a brand - my money goes for the cheapest that has the features and size I want. That way when it breaks, I won't feel bad about pitching it and getting a new one.

Another thing that I have noticed is that features that caught my eye on the showroom floor were entirely impractical in real life, so this is also a good reason to go cheap. You may decide in a few trips that you do not like the feature that you were so hot for. I did. Several times. Example: front loading laptop pocket. Useless to me, but sounded great in theory. You may like and use that feature, so you need to decide these things on your own.

Size, now that is highly subjective. Depends entirely on what you wish to pack. I tend to pack a lot of stuff, including lots of power adapters, and I have never had a problem with a 20" roller. My suggestion is to "test pack" what you think you will need and measure that for size.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get one of Costco's house brand 22" carryons. They were designed to copy the Tumi, have a lifetime warranty, and cost about $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.