"Running Sandals" ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Running Sandals" ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Question "Running Sandals" ?

I travel every week and never check luggage, so I have very limited space. I also have to work out every day, so I have to carry work out shoes as well as my work clothes.

Did I mention I have size 13 feet?

In the last issue of the Air Mall catalogue, I saw an add for running sandals. It looks like they are small enough to fit in my carryon fairly easily, so they may help alleviate my space problem.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I don't run outside when I travel, I usually use the hotel treadmills, so protection from rocks, uneven pavement, etc is not an issue.

Thanks !
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:45 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Would you be able to find them in a local store to check fit and comfort? Shoe fit and comfort tend to be highly personalized.

Also, do they come in versions suitable for your running pronation (see http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Lear...nationFAQ.html for more on this topic)?

Other alternatives you can try:

a. "Racing flat" shoes (e.g. those displayed at http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catp...AND&ctype=comp ) which are lightweight and do not have much upper material, so they pack down small. Generally only available for lesser or no pronation, and not generally recommended for beginners. Have less durability, support, and cushioning, so may not be as good for regular running at home outside, or for longer runs.

b. Wear your running shoes on the plane, and put your less bulky dress shoes in your carryon, stuffed with socks. You may need the running shoes anyway when your flight is delayed and you are running for a tight connection.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
I have a pair of MBT sandals (check www.amazon.com) and I love them. I do use them on the treadmill.... not sure what the ones look like that you are talking about, but just thought I'd throw that out......
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k
I travel every week and never check luggage, so I have very limited space. I also have to work out every day, so I have to carry work out shoes as well as my work clothes.
I've thought about the same thing but in the end I've just sucked it up and considered that space necessary. I put my running shorts in one shoe, then the pair of socks, my GPS wristband and HRM strap in the other shoe. Then both get put into an Eagle Creek waterproof shoe bag. That's about the minimum amount of space I can get away with.

I thought about getting some racing flats or other shoes for travel but I like my shoes, know that I don't get injuries due to footwear from them and would rather not risk it on a new pair of shoes. While the treadmill will have some give I think getting a shoes that's wrong for your stride simply to meet carry-on specs is a bad idea in the long (and short) run.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Originally Posted by tjl
b. Wear your running shoes on the plane, and put your less bulky dress shoes in your carryon, stuffed with socks. You may need the running shoes anyway when your flight is delayed and you are running for a tight connection.

When you have size 13 feet, "less bulky" doesn't mean much !

When I got home last weekend, I showed my wife (who is a Chiropractor) the add for running sandals and asked her about it. Her response was "are you insane??!!??"

Guess I'm stuck with regular running shoes !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.