Wiki Posts
Search

Trolley and stairs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, Priority Club, Delta, AA
Trolley and stairs

Does anybody know of some kind of invention for easing the carry of luggage on stairs?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Dinka
Does anybody know of some kind of invention for easing the carry of luggage on stairs?
Husbands

More seriously, I try to avoid packing more than I can comfortably carry up and down flights of stairs.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You can buy suitcases that turn into backpacks. These come in full-size and carry-on sizes. I used to use the full size one when younger and traveling a lot more. They were great. Just put it on like a full size backpack and off you go.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:09 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this is not specifically related to women, please follow it in TravelBuzz!

l'etoile
Women Travelers moderator
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dinka
Use an elevator instead.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Travel Products forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
[Deleted]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 13, 2008 at 10:00 am Reason: Co-Mod beat me to it. Merci.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: DLPM MM
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Use an elevator instead.
This comment may at first seem facetious, but it is the case that due to the need for wheelchair access, there is always at least one elevator that is an alternative to stairs/ escalators - even if it is not located beside the stairs or immediately obvious.

Eagle Creek also have a range of rolling bags with big wheels. The diameter of the wheels is less than the riser of most stairs, but they would still ease the lift quite a bit to hoist the bag from one step to the next.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:59 am
iff

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Use an elevator instead.
Originally Posted by scunnered
This comment may at first seem facetious, but it is the case that due to the need for wheelchair access, there is always at least one elevator that is an alternative to stairs/ escalators - even if it is not located beside the stairs or immediately obvious.
That may be true in some places but there are many other places that certainly do not "always" have an elevator. The Paris metro system springs to mind, for example, along with a number of hotels.

Personally I do as Kate_Canuck mentioned and try to pack light enough to carry my luggage up stairs if need be. The backpack is also a reasonable suggestion, as is luggage with larger wheels. Also, some of the folding luggage carts mention having "stair glides" to help with going up and down stairs (though honestly that looks like it still would be not very helpful if your luggage is excessively heavy).
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by iff
That may be true in some places but there are many other places that certainly do not "always" have an elevator. The Paris metro system springs to mind, for example, along with a number of hotels.
The CityRail system in Sydney also has many stations without any elevator or escalator access. Trudging luggage up and down stairs there is quite common.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Eagle Creek also have a range of rolling bags with big wheels. The diameter of the wheels is less than the riser of most stairs, but they would still ease the lift quite a bit to hoist the bag from one step to the next.
This is a good solution but you will have a new problem in busy areas: many pissed off people in a hurry behind you.

Other than that, I do not see any solution to the OP's problem. Packing lighter and using a backpack would seem to be the best compromise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.