Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of eBags and their coupon acceptance policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:39 am

BaggageForLess.com Coupon

Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
BTW, I got a super price for the same luggage BaggageForLess.com (^), with altogether about 25% off the sale prices with their own coupon codes. Who needs eBags?
Thank you for your recommendation of baggageforless.com. Same bag, similar price as ebags but free shipping. For two of the same bag (Delsey carryon), with various sales and coupons:

Amazon $159
eBags $157
Baggageforless $120

!!!

I only found one useful coupon for baggageforless: today10
This gives you another 10% off including sales items (unlike ebags which seems to exclude coupons from most sale items). Only bad thing is that the bag I want is backordered until 8/12/08, but I don't really need it until October, so that's fine. I'll wait a couple weeks for it to save that kind of money.

If anyone is interested in the specific bag, here is a link (to eBags, because that's where all the reviews are): Delsey 21" carryon. My husband has been traveling almost weekly, and has destroyed an American Tourister carry on. Although his Travelpro Crew 6 is doing well. I bought two because we are taking 2 trips together over the next 6 months, and I want to try to go all carry on. And, jic he destroys this one too!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Angry eBags Did Not Honor Their $10 Off Advertisement

I recently had a frustating experience with eBags They send me an e-mail which advertised $10 off your next purchase if you pay by opening a Bill Me Later account. I "bit" on the offer and opened a Bill Me Later account to pay for my order. At the end of the order...the webpage stated the $10 off would be reflected on my Bill Me Later statement. So 2 weeks later when I got my Bill Me Later statement....no $10 credit appeared. I called Bill Me Later and they said they would put in an inquiry to find out why the $10 off did not appear. I decided to go ahead and pay the bill (minus the $10). When I got my statement the following month...no $10 credit appeared, plus I was hit for a $2 financial charge for not paying the entire balance off. I called Bill Me Later. when they looked at my account record it stated eBags claimed I registered for the $10 off promotion after it expired. This is nonsense since the Bags webpage lead me through the entire sign-up process and the final webpage screen told me I would receive the $10 off my bill. The Bill Me Later people suggested I contact eBags directly. When I called eBag....their Customer Service agents when not at helpful...they were not aware of this promotion and more or less told me "too bad!". I told them I would not do business with eBags again since they do not honor their advertsing promotions and I also sent a letter to the President of the eBag telling him why they lost me as a customer.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lswcih
When I called eBags....their Customer Service agents when not at helpful...they were not aware of this promotion and more or less told me "too bad!".
The eBags pricing / promotion / coupons / discount code landscape is so unbelievably complex, and constantly changing, I don't think anyone at eBags could possibly keep track of it all. Unfortunately this makes it easy for them to just say a promo never existed, or they can't find it. So... too bad. eBags is no good.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
It's really a shame that eBags is running its business the way it does. At the same time, all of our experiences and posts show the power that a forum such as this has, even though it may affect only a relatively small number of potential customers.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
No Miles/Points

This past spring I made 4 eBags purchases using different internet shopping portals (Marriott, PC, AAdvantage and E-Bates) over a 3 month timeframe. I used the Entertainment coupon (10% off & free shipping). I did not receive the points/miles promised for each purchase. I e-mailed eBags numerous times and got nonsensical answers--they obviously didn't have a clue what I was talking about. A couple of times I wrote the web shopping site that I had clicked thru--they investigated and said eBags gave credit to a different merchant. The final purchase I clicked through AAdvantage shopping b/c I never have a problem with miles posting through them--no miles awarded.

Since eBags couldn't be bothered taking the time to read, understand & address my problem via e-mail I filed a complaint with the BBB. Received an answer within 24 hours. Was told b/c I used the Entertainment coupon/promo they will not give miles and/or points when you click through a shopping site. They also said they would credit my last purchase ($50+) on my cc as a good faith measure for all the hassle I spent on this. That was nice of them, but I still told them it's deceptive, no other company refuses to give miles/points when you use a coupon.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Steph58
... no other company refuses to give miles/points when you use a coupon.
And not many other companies refuse to honor their own sale prices when you use a coupon, making the coupon essentially valueless.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K /DL Dia/Marriott Plat Life/HH Gold/
WOW interesting stuff…..but I have never had these issue. I have purchased at least 7 bags, packing cubes, Laptop backpacks for me and the kids. I have never had an issue with their service, support or programs. I have used discount coupons etc and as long as you pay attention to what they do and don’t apply too you are fine…no different than any other site or store. I have found their private label items to be of great quality…and I do travel about 125k miles a year so I am not gentle on these items.

Yes you have to read the fine print, no different that Tiger Direct, Amazon, Newegg etc…

As far as no other companies refuses to honor there sales price with a coupon…..really, you must not get out a lot, at least to shop . Lets see here is a very short list of companies that generally have the same policy – Sears, Wal-Mart, Macys, Kmart, Prime Outlets {Pick a Store}, Target, Old Navy Bed Bath and Beyond…..folks its all in the fine print – Educate yourself so you know what to expect and it will cause you less aggravation in the long run.

I guess my point is if you know what to expect on the way in you can get the service, price you want….if not, don’t go in.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:42 pm

I had the same trouble at eBags with using eRewards coupon. Already discounted item do not stack with coupon. I then went elsewhere and found the same luggage sold for less after shipping than eRewards, even if coupons had stacked. From then on I vowed to never go to eBags again and also redeemed all eRewards points and quit them as well.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:30 am

I had an issue with eBags & eRewards... in the end I didn't use the coupon it wasn't worth it.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by DepartALB
I have used discount coupons etc and as long as you pay attention to what they do and don’t apply too you are fine…no different than any other site or store.
The eRewards certificate is really not a coupon--it is a type of gift certificate with monetary value. I'll rather redeem my eRewards bucks into airline miles or, better yet, gift cards for Target.

All the responses that I read tell me that my experience was not atypical.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
I had planned on getting an e-bags coupon with my miles as I've gotten my max airmiles this year...methinks I'll be abandoning that idea! Just as well I was flitting around different forums/fora and came across this thread in time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.