Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Convert-to-wheel" device for carryon?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

"Convert-to-wheel" device for carryon?

I'm looking for a luggage-cart device that converts a large but within-regulation unwheeled carry on bag to a wheeled one -- sort of a small dolly that folds up enough so you can fit it inside the bag, but then when you land you can take it out of the bag, open it up, and you now have a wheeled bag. I've seen several such devices advertised, but it's hard to tell how useful they are. One thing I'm concerned about is that most of them seem to have very small wheels, so I wonder how well they would handle uneven ground or old brick pavements or streets. Has anyone used one of these things that they've liked?
Old May 11, 2008, 9:06 pm

Samsonite makes one. I tried what you wanted to do a few years ago and found it to be a major hassle. My bag kept falling off the cart when I changed direction (went around corners) or the entire thing would topple over.

My suggestion is to go buy a wheeled bag instead.
Old May 12, 2008, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should specify better why I'm interested in this.

I've heard that in general for most airlines the safe maximum size is 45", in the form of a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. So a lot of luggage manufacturers sell bags of those dimensions which they call carry-ons. But those dimensions don't include the wheels. I've also heard that at least sometimes a 22" x 14" x 9" bag isn't allowed on the plane because, when you add the wheels, the 22" x 14" x 9" bag won't fit through the 22" x 14" x 9" box. (I suppose the handle might also be a problem, but presumably you could squash that down.) So I thought that the only way I could be sure a 22" x 14" x 9" bag would always be accepted as a carry on would be to have detachable wheels.

Has anyone ever had this problem, of a bag that supposedly is carry-on dimensions not being allowed on the plane because it was oversize when you count the wheels?

(The background to all this is that I've had my luggage lost three times in the last two years, and this was on "good" airlines in developed countries! And it was a disaster for my trip every time. Only one of those times was there a close connection, though well above the minimum -- and on that occasion Swiss specifically assured me that despite the close connection they wouldn't lose my bags, but they did. So I'm going to try to take more in carry-ons. I know some people complain about this, but if the airlines keep losing checked luggage, what else can you do?)

Last edited by Cha-cha-cha; May 12, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old May 12, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Has anyone ever had this problem, of a bag that supposedly is carry-on dimensions not being allowed on the plane because it was oversize when you count the wheels?
Yes. Of course. That's why you have to measure! I'd suggest a 20" or 21" bag.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:36 pm

[QUOTE=Cha-cha-cha;9708773]I'm looking for a luggage-cart device that converts a large but within-regulation unwheeled carry on bag to a wheeled one

I use them. They are indeed a hassle, and serve the purpose for me. I have two, both from Brookstone, that are detachable wheels. I use them with a tote bag when there are restrictions I can't otherwise meet. The smaller one does then collapse and fit into the tote.

I then use the wheels at meetings I'm attending.

I have not had problems with surfaces, have to be careful with curbs and stairs because bag tends to slip off wheels.

More seriously, sometimes the bottom of the bag has sagged down to the floor/sidewalk and I've ended up dragging it and making holes.

Sylvia
Old May 12, 2008, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are lots out there, google

folding luggage cart

or

personal luggage cart

and lots will come up. I've used them, but tend to also overload them at times for other things, so for me they are more aptly called disposable luggage cart. Any lugage store has them, usually in the $20 range.

Look for one that fits inside your bag for when you don't want to wheel it around, and the ones with the larger wheels do much better on any not perfect surface.
Old May 27, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: DLPM MM
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Two years ago I was getting on an AF flight at ATL with a perfectly normal rollaboard that I had travelled all over the US and Europe with, never had any problems with GA's, FA's or with fitting it in the overhead bin. I'm not sure what its official dimensions were, but probably the usual 21 by XX by XX.

In the jetway, there was a Delta person with a metal frame who stopped every one that had anything other than a miniscule bag and made them prove it fitted in the frame. Mine fitted except for one wheel, which stuck up about 1 inch over the frame at one corner. I had failed the test. She tagged the bag and sent it down the steps.

I connected in CDG on AF to Biarritz and was delighted when my bag joined me two days later, the day I was leaving to fly home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.