Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback for Research Project

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Feedback for Research Project

Hi all,

As part of a research project, I've been designing a product which aims to solve some of the inconveniences faced by flyers on a plane.

Please find attached a photo of the product, as well as one that demonstrates its intended function. The tray would be bought by flyers, and goes on top of the existing airplane tray table - when someone wants to get up from their seat, this allows the user to lift the tray up (and all the items on it) with one hand, so they can easily stand up and let the person pass.

The main features of the product are:
  • a secure cup holder with a mesh material to hold a drinks cup/can/bottle
  • an adjustable phone holder
  • a padded cushion at the front, for additional comfort
  • the ability for all the pieces to detach, for portability when fitting the product into hand luggage

(1) Your overall feedback on the product: What do you like/dislike? Which features are especially useful/effective? Do you like the look of the product? Any concerns regarding the product?

(2) If the product were to exist, where would it best/most appropriately be sold, for example, at the airport information desk, shops at the airport e.g. WHSmith, online, onboard the plane itself?

(3) What price point do you think would be most suitable for the product/how much would you be willing to spend on such a product?

Thank you so much in advance

Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:22 pm

Overall, I really love the product, especially aesthetically - the colours really pop and the logo is great! My favourite features would be the cup holder (the mesh is a great idea!) and the phone holder would definitely be useful. I'm slightly concerned about whether the silicone would be strong enough, but hopefully you will have tested this? The cushion looks really comfortable.
I can imagine the product being successful in a variety of selling locations. Shops in the airport and on the planes would probably be best, but online would be important as well.
It looks high-quality and useful, so probably around £30.I fly all the time and would definitely purchase it.
Well done!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40cm x 25cm x 20cm
or
40cm x 30cm x 20cm

Anything larger than this as carry on in Europe is a luxury.

Also,

A tray that juts out wider than the table and is wider than your seat is not fit for purpose. Economy seats are often no wider than 40cm. 40cm is important to remember. If you want to add a cup holder you’d need to extend vertically not horizontally.

Also

Turbulence and other times when use of the table in front of you is restricted.

Also

More and more airlines are including drink holders in their back of seat arrangements, particularly for aircraft that fly longer routes.

Also

Dopp kits are dope
——
Only way I can imagine an object such as yours in any practical sense is if it was a 40cm x 25cm briefcase that you can easily put together and take apart to become a tray.

Remember - 40cm!!!!

———

Question time for the designer

Looking at the set up in the photo provided, what happens when you actually lean a bit on the soft part on the front of the tray designed to be leant on?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:46 pm

No to the cup holder invading the space into the aisle or adjacent seat. I am not asking the adjacent seat for permission to use my tray table.
SPN Lifer and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.