Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for Hand Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Recommendations for Hand Luggage

Returning back to the dreaded regular 1-2 day business travel trips on BA after a while off, and I wanted to see if any of the seasoned pros had any tips or suggestions for the best possible carry on luggage that is compliant with BA rules.
Ideally I want something that can take 2-3 days of clothing, including sports trainers etc, can hold an ipad, laptop, have easy access for passport, chargers etc. and also easily access liquids for security. Any charging capacity and ability to store/protect A4 type documents would be really helpful too.
Recently made the mistake of packing liquids deep in my hand luggage after going through the new scanners at T5, to find my return airport still has to have the liquids taken out!!
Thanks so much
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I had one of these bad boys when I did 2 weeks in Japan (can't be bothered with hold luggage if I can help it). It has pockets for EVERYTHING. Also has waist and chest straps that I appreciate a lot.

https://cabinmax.com/collections/bac...34928613261478

Video:
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:22 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
There are lots of threads on hand luggage.
E.g.
Recommendations for under seat backpack?
I got the cws recommented under seat bag...
Amazon Amazon
...and it served me well on a recent trip. Plenty of room in there for my A4 trip binder, travel kettle, liquids, electronics, medicines and pyjamas. I took a cabin spec roller to put clothes in and this fits neatly on top. You never need to open your clothes only roller then to go through the scanners.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've made 2 recommendations about baggage, the one above relates to the "personal item", where BA's size limit includes a 15cm width - very few bags meet this standard. The other bag I've suggested - though it doesn't really meet some of the OP's requirements is this Skypak. I use this as a sole bag for longer trips, 2 weeks and more, whereas the Aerolite above is OK as my only bag for a one nighter.

Amazon Amazon

In between, there is a version of the Aerolite which is somewhat bigger, but conforms to easyJet's "one bag" requirements. This would last me 2 to 5 days as an only bag.

Amazon Amazon

Because it's bigger than the personal item size for BA then it would have to count as your only bag, but it's nearly twice the capacity of the first linked Aerolite. All 3 bags are very tough, the Skypak has a well noted cloak of invisibility around it, you won't be asked to check it in.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
In one of the threads linked to above there's the Mark Ryden bag I still mostly use for 2-3 days, but at present I'm looking at Cabin Max products to try to get a cavernous bag meeting under-seat requirements but without laptop storage. The most promising so far seems to be the Metz:

Cabin Max Ryanair Cabin Bag 40x20x25 Hand Luggage Backpack (20L Underseat Travel 40 x 20 x 25 cm Atlantic Blue) : Amazon.co.uk: Fashion Cabin Max Ryanair Cabin Bag 40x20x25 Hand Luggage Backpack (20L Underseat Travel 40 x 20 x 25 cm Atlantic Blue) : Amazon.co.uk: Fashion

The Manhattan also looks good but there are bad reports about strap comfort and lack of internal structure meaning things shift around and make the bag unbalanced. These are not expensive bags though. The "Ryanair" descriptor is just I think to qualify them under the most restrictive regime; as I rarely combine Ryanair with longer trips I'm pondering going a size up. The key issue for me is weight as much of my travel is on carriers with a 7kg limit. But also I feel that lots of pouches and pockets - the Mark Ryden is absolutely replete - take up space I'd rather use for clothes.

I'd suggest the Mark Ryden against the OP requirement - the advantage being that it is expandable so you can use it as a small bag for an overnight or make it bigger for a few days.

Mark Ryden 23L/40L Business Carry-on Travel Backpack, Lightweight Flight-Approved Expandable Weekender Bag with USB Charging Port fit 17.3 Laptop : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories Mark Ryden 23L/40L Business Carry-on Travel Backpack, Lightweight Flight-Approved Expandable Weekender Bag with USB Charging Port fit 17.3 Laptop : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited by bisonrav; Mar 23, 2024 at 7:47 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This will be a green light for people to promote how much (or little) they spend on cabin bags from Tumi or Rimowa. I take myself off to a decent outlet store and buy a brand like American Tourister, or Antler - I really do not care which. The bag is for carrying my clothes etc; it is not there to make a statement about me. alonfg the lines of "Stupid woman parted with £1200 for me".

I do have to fly Low Life on occasion as BA steadfastly refuses to start a service to Nantes. BA are actually quite generous with their size and weight requirements - long may it continue. The most important thing for me is build quality. The extendable handle is the achilles heel quite often - I have had to ditch a bag that I bought at Debenhams mid trip as the handle would jam somtimes and I could neither extend nor retract the handle. The other thing is the empty weight of the case. I prefer four wheels to two. Those two are the weak points. Whilst like all of us vowed to poverty I prefer to spend sensibly - a cheap case can be a false economy. Fortunately Which magazine regularly tests these so the weight and dimensions are clear,

For the second "personal" item I am indebted to my husband for buying me a grey american tourister bag which slips over the handle of the rollaboard. I was vexed that another change in dimensions meant that my gorgeous Lipault turquoise bag no longer was BA (or any other airline). That manages to take my inflight toys like Sony headsets, Ipads ( corporate-wage-slave my Angel I do carry my Beloved's Ipad as that way it leaves the aircraft with us), my Hairbrush and the liquid and gels transparent make-up case (I suppose that they will be obsolescent before long) to repair the damage of flying, and my travel handbag so again I comply.

Thus we fly away for weeks and one has to be dsiciplined in what one takes. Whatever you buy or use take a photo of it. If it should get lost or be damaged - it saves descriptions. If I have strayed from the topic excuse me. I have a pet hatred of backpacks. People forget that they take so much space behind them and how many times have I had people in queues sporting the wretched things who turn around and hit someone?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
B&R gets my vote

On the expensive side but perfect for up to 4 night trips with running shoes. Small enough for any of those carriers without the generous BA/EZY sizing for cabin bags so you never get caught out.

I have been weekly commuting for the last 8 years and B&R gets it right, is rugged and looks good after years on the road.

B&R 53cm Spinner Cabin luggage
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:53 am

Goruck GR2 is unimpeachable; I’ve been using it for a year, having replaced my 15 year old Tom Bihn Aeronaut, another great bag. I can pack for up to 2 weeks in either.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Robespierre
On the expensive side but perfect for up to 4 night trips with running shoes.

At £479, your idea of being on the expensive side and mine are clearly opposed, my Love. Still - you are using it constantly.and it is BA compliant.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
On the expensive side but perfect for up to 4 night trips with running shoes. Small enough for any of those carriers without the generous BA/EZY sizing for cabin bags so you never get caught out.

I have been weekly commuting for the last 8 years and B&R gets it right, is rugged and looks good after years on the road.

Ooh, that's nice! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the knock off version that comes in at 25% of the price
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I generally run around with these two samsonite bags, they’ve provided good service and are big enough for me for up to five days. After that its time to deploy the Tumi The hard shell has the facility to install a power bank and then use the external USB A located beside the lock. The rucksack has a good laptop/document compartment next to the back.

Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

I'm a big fan of Briggs & Riley as well. I've owned one for a decade and when the zip broke recently it was repaired for free under the lifetime warranty.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

In the expanded depth set-up, that is not BA compliant. And I agree the cost is about 3 lifetimes of CWS total baggage spend.
EuropeanPete and PUCCI GALORE like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
The Skypak recommended by corporate-wage-slave is the business! Goes unnoticed - even on the likes of an Embraer.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
I am a big fan of Away’s Bigger Carry on (£235) and 25l Outdoor Convertible backpack (£145; slightly oddly different to the 26l backpack - the 25l is shown an an alternative option on the page for the 45l version).

if I had to have one bag to do the job of both, I’d probably go for the 45l backpack and some substantial packing cubes for anything that needs a bit of extra protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.