Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What, where and when: items used during a journey

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:39 am
Original Poster

What, where and when: items used during a journey

Following up on a previous thread discussing what to carry into the cabin, and in my typical over-analyzing manner, I'm sharing with you all what I do on long-haul travel. I'd be curious to see how this differs from what you do!

Phase 1: Getting checked in
Unless there is a fee for a counter check-in, I rarely check in online. This is because I often have to check bags anyway, and I like to try my luck at 'oh I'm quite tall, any chance you have a seat for me with some more leg space?' if I did not book seats in advance.

During this phase, I'll need my phone, my wallet and my passport. Phone or wallet to organize the journey to the airport, and upon checking in my passport, phone for referencing information and once or twice I've had to show the credit card I used to pay for the ticket.

Phase 2: Security
Walking from the check-in to the immigration and security areas, I'll typically stash things like my watch, phone, wallet and anything else that may be in my pockets, into one of the bags going through security.

Departure Immigration has never required anything other than my passport and boarding card. Security is a different matter. I'll typically hold on to the aforementioned unless otherwise instructed, take off things like belt and shoes at the last minute, pull out the liquids pouch if indicated (fewer and fewer airports seem to be asking for this now, but I do prepare it) and take out laptop, iPad and power bank. I live in Bangkok, and the airport security here insists on inspecting every power bank for its power rating.

Phase 3: Transit side
Electronics tucked away, belt and shoes back on, wallet, phone, passport and boarding card in my pants. I don't need anything else during this phase, which typically involves sitting in a lounge or gate area. Every once in a while there may be some pre-planned shopping involved. I don't often shower in the lounge as I do this before I leave, but it has happened once or twice if the schedule dictates this. I like being fresh and clean going onto the plane.

Phase 4: Boarding & take off
As I stash my bag in the overhead, I'll want to pull out the items I'll start using from the start. This typically means I pull out my tech pouch with in it a power bank with cables and my AirPods, my iPad, and headphones. I've been disappointed by non-functioning mains sockets once too often, so I don't even bother anymore; hence the power bank. I'll typically keep my wallet and passport in my pants or ask my wife to keep them in her handbag.

Phase 5: Flight
When the fasten-seatbelt sign is switched off, I am content with what I've got on me for the first while. I will probably have been wearing a vest or sweater until now, which may come off depending on cabin temperature. I'll just store this next to me or use it as lumbar support.

My personal item bag comes out and lands on the floor in front of my seat for the rest of the flight at some point. I'll need this if I want to change from contacts to glasses due to dry air, use my computer or need food (I'm particular about what I eat, and food served will not or not sufficiently fill me, so I always bring backup). I sometimes use a nasal spray, eye drops or lip balm from my liquids bag, or lozenges if I get a dry throat. I will switch SIM cards and wallet content during the flight. A pen, in case something needs to be filled out.

I try to keep my space clean, so I'll typically use a bag to store empty coffee cups, water bottles, food packaging, etc. This has always been 'just something I find in my surroundings' like the blanket wrapper or whatever, but I've wondered if I should just pack something for this which could perhaps be hung off of something.

Phase 6: Pre-landing
I'll freshen up before landing, put in new contacts, pop some Listerine strips to avoid killing Immigration at the destination. Pack everything (including iPad, tech pouch and headphones) into the personal item bag and have just my phone, wallet and passport on me for arrival and onward journey.

Other things that are in my personal item, but I won't take out include my travel medical kit, my toiletries bag, sunglasses, universal adapter & more cables, small flashlight and a change of basics in case the checked bag does not arrive.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
Originally Posted by gadget
Following up on a previous thread discussing what to carry into the cabin, and in my typical over-analyzing manner, I'm sharing with you all what I do on long-haul travel. I'd be curious to see how this differs from what you do!

Phase 1: Getting checked in
Unless there is a fee for a counter check-in, I rarely check in online. This is because I often have to check bags anyway, and I like to try my luck at 'oh I'm quite tall, any chance you have a seat for me with some more leg space?' if I did not book seats in advance.

During this phase, I'll need my phone, my wallet and my passport. Phone or wallet to organize the journey to the airport, and upon checking in my passport, phone for referencing information and once or twice I've had to show the credit card I used to pay for the ticket.

Always check in online unless there is an issue with it. Never ask for an upgrade, I book the seat I want and not take chances. Passport in zippered front pocket

Phase 2: Security
Walking from the check-in to the immigration and security areas, I'll typically stash things like my watch, phone, wallet and anything else that may be in my pockets, into one of the bags going through security.

Departure Immigration has never required anything other than my passport and boarding card. Security is a different matter. I'll typically hold on to the aforementioned unless otherwise instructed, take off things like belt and shoes at the last minute, pull out the liquids pouch if indicated (fewer and fewer airports seem to be asking for this now, but I do prepare it) and take out laptop, iPad and power bank. I live in Bangkok, and the airport security here insists on inspecting every power bank for its power rating.

Watch, phone and ring into backpack zippered pocket. Passport always stays with me. Next to never take off shoes, rarely wear a belt since I wear joggers. If I do wear a belt, I have several canvas belts with a plastic buckles. In the USA, I have TSA Pre-Check, so nothing gets removed. In the UK (my most often travel location) I have my iPad mini and phone in a front pocket as well as a clear quart ziplock bag with toiletries. I am never "the guy" that holds up the line. The UK can be inconsistent on trainers, so I wear Kizik hands free slip on trainers. They pop right off/on.

Phase 3: Transit side
Electronics tucked away, belt and shoes back on, wallet, phone, passport and boarding card in my pants. I don't need anything else during this phase, which typically involves sitting in a lounge or gate area. Every once in a while there may be some pre-planned shopping involved. I don't often shower in the lounge as I do this before I leave, but it has happened once or twice if the schedule dictates this. I like being fresh and clean going onto the plane.

Same, phone in one pocket and passport in another.

Phase 4: Boarding & take off
As I stash my bag in the overhead, I'll want to pull out the items I'll start using from the start. This typically means I pull out my tech pouch with in it a power bank with cables and my AirPods, my iPad, and headphones. I've been disappointed by non-functioning mains sockets once too often, so I don't even bother anymore; hence the power bank. I'll typically keep my wallet and passport in my pants or ask my wife to keep them in her handbag.

iPad mini, , iPhone, AirPod Pro's out, power bank that supports wireless charging as well as has a built in USB-C for the iPad (rarely needed) Take off shoes and store wither under seat or in the convenient storage location (AA Bus) Put on socks from amenity kit over my socks.

Phase 5: Flight
When the fasten-seatbelt sign is switched off, I am content with what I've got on me for the first while. I will probably have been wearing a vest or sweater until now, which may come off depending on cabin temperature. I'll just store this next to me or use it as lumbar support.

My personal item bag comes out and lands on the floor in front of my seat for the rest of the flight at some point. I'll need this if I want to change from contacts to glasses due to dry air, use my computer or need food (I'm particular about what I eat, and food served will not or not sufficiently fill me, so I always bring backup). I sometimes use a nasal spray, eye drops or lip balm from my liquids bag, or lozenges if I get a dry throat. I will switch SIM cards and wallet content during the flight. A pen, in case something needs to be filled out.

I try to keep my space clean, so I'll typically use a bag to store empty coffee cups, water bottles, food packaging, etc. This has always been 'just something I find in my surroundings' like the blanket wrapper or whatever, but I've wondered if I should just pack something for this which could perhaps be hung off of something.

Phase 6: Pre-landing
I'll freshen up before landing, put in new contacts, pop some Listerine strips to avoid killing Immigration at the destination. Pack everything (including iPad, tech pouch and headphones) into the personal item bag and have just my phone, wallet and passport on me for arrival and onward journey.

Brush teeth with provided toothbrush (international) refresh with Oars and Alps Face and body wipes . I also carry a change of clothes in my backpack. I rarely check a bag, but I always have a change if it gets delayed. Also, I had a FA spill on me and having another shirt was handy. It's also good after an 11 hour flight to have a fresh shirt and pants.

Other things that are in my personal item, but I won't take out include my travel medical kit, my toiletries bag, sunglasses, universal adapter & more cables, small flashlight and a change of basics in case the checked bag does not arrive.
I'll reiterate the passport staying with me... in the event of something tragic and we MUST evacuate, having your passport is a big deal. You are instructed to take no bags, your wife's purse would not be a good place to store your passport. I had a friend (UK citizen) evacuated from BVI without his passport, he had a hard time traveling back to the US afterwards as they had no record of him leaving. Food for thought
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
That's why I always travel with a featherlight Scottevest vest. Everything that is important to me is in that vest or my 2 money belts.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Igene
I'll reiterate the passport staying with me... in the event of something tragic and we MUST evacuate, having your passport is a big deal. You are instructed to take no bags, your wife's purse would not be a good place to store your passport. I had a friend (UK citizen) evacuated from BVI without his passport, he had a hard time traveling back to the US afterwards as they had no record of him leaving. Food for thought
When flying and generally when traveling in foreign countries my passport, wallet and cellphone are on my person either in my pockets or securely stored in a hidden waist or ankle carrier if in higher risk locations. Other less essential items go into a small vertical messenger bag which is stored at my feet or in the seatback pocket and could be quickly grabbed in the event of an evacuation.
Igene likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That's why I always travel with a featherlight Scottevest vest. Everything that is important to me is in that vest or my 2 money belts.
Unless you were wearing the vest, you may not have opportunity to get it... Nevertheless, I used to be a Scottevest user until I saw him on Shark tank.. IMHO, he's an idiot and will not get any of my $... same for Elon, but that's another story
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Igene
Unless you were wearing the vest, you may not have opportunity to get it... Nevertheless, I used to be a Scottevest user until I saw him on Shark tank.. IMHO, he's an idiot and will not get any of my $... same for Elon, but that's another story
I wear my scottevest from the time I leave my residence to the time I get to my final destination. I was probably one of the first customers of that brand and I didn't like the dude from day one, but it's the best lightweight vest I can find with the right pockets including the jacket I have. It's like being in the military or law enforcement, you carry everything on you that's important at all times.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:48 am

Every time I travel, I carry a mini EVA bag with me to store my data cables, headphone cables or change. It keeps it organized so I don’t have to look for it in my suitcase.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Igene thanks for the recommendation on the Kizik, though not for me, they are ideal for my missus for everyday use...just ordered. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.