Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Plat Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Amex Plat Travel Insurance

I was pretty satisfied with my third party travel insurance. Sure I pay out of pocket, but they've saved me after I missed a flight, paid $2000 on a hospital bill in japan and have only ever denied me a $4 claim for soap of all things on that hospital stay. But, I signed up for the Amex platinum and part of my pretence for that was to able to offset the annual fee by saving basically $300 on my travel insurance.

Does anyone have any stories/anecdotes specifically to do with the Amex Platinum travel insurance, if it matters, even more specifically in Canada? I'm open to hearing all the positive or negatives. I want to be able to ditch my current insurance and trust that the Amex one will serve me the same way. But I'm already considering just renewing my outside policy and then hoping I have some non-health related travel issue to see how the two stack up against each other.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I filed a travel interruption & delay claim through their insurance carrier (AIG). It's been 4 weeks and I have not heard anything. I called them this week for an update, and they said it takes 6 weeks for someone to even review your documents. They warned if any additional documents are needed, then the 6 weeks resets from the time that I send in updated documents.

Meanwhile, I filed a claim with Allianz, it was reviewed and approved within a week of my filing.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I fund Amex Plat travel insurance pretty useless as it only is valid for 90 days outside the country where my Amex card us registered. I typically travel most of the time so this 90 day limit makes the insurance useless for the most part.

However I do sometimes buy flights with my Amex Plat and have had good experiences. When the UK FCO changed the travel advice regarding a country I had a stopover in, and advised against travel to it, Amex Plat reimbursed me and I was able to buy a flight on another carrier.

Following this, Amex is the only insurer to have ever reimbursed me for a claim, without trying to wriggle out or only partially reimburse.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Each country’s AMEX Plat has quite different coverage. The US one sounds great. I’ve previously had the International insurance which was about as good as you can get in European markets, but it had a minimum days in home country requirement which I only rarely met, making it usually of no use of me.

You’d think a card designed for frequent flyers might be a bit more tolerant of people often outside of the country.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Not a fan of the AIG / Amex Plat travel insurance.
I had a diverted flight resulting in misconnect and overnight stay back in July. Filed for reimbursement of hotel charges and still haven't paid it out yet. I ping them about every week asking for update etc.

The process for filing a claim is cumbersome and they are not responsive at all.

I have had to file a couple claims with the insurance from Chase Sapphire Reserve card over the course of many years and it was much, much better. Never had to fight them and process was very straightforward.

Overall, very disappointed with Amex on this front.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Recently filed an insurance claim via Chase SR, and the process was smooth. Covering the costs of a hospital visit.

Somehow, after all these years, I have yet to use Amex Plat insurance...
Old Oct 7, 2023, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Appreciate all the answers. I'm rarely out of country for more than 2 weeks at a time, so that wasn't a downside for me.

I opted to pay for yearly coverage again as I'd been pretty satisfied with my provider. Now it's gonna be a matter of seeing whether it's worth keeping the Platinum card when I can't factor in that savings for insurance. $700 - $200 for the travel credit - $200 dining (I would never EVER spend $200 in a sitting, I'm not that kind of person and most of those restaurants are places I'd never be at, but if it's "free" I'll try to find an excuse for it), so then it's a does priority pass offer $300 worth of "lounge" to me in a year. I have star gold, but I'm travelling standby a lot now and getting into a star lounge isn't always possible, having the priority pass is really nice, even on a short layover. But there's instances where I could end up in an airport for multiple hours.

I'll have to review the card a bit again to see if there's any benefits I'm ignoring that would provide me any additional value as well.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 6:35 am

drvannostren is Amex still offering medical cost coverage (e.g. hospital stay while on a trip) for CA-based platinum cards?
They removed medical coverage for US-based customers, only Emergency Medical Transport and Evacuation is included now.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got a personal plat that I need to put spend on. Does the travel insurance cover an Airbnb if I have to cancel due to a covered reason? Did not use card for the flights. All I can find on the website suggests you have to pay for all of a RT with the card in order to have anything covered. So does that mean all both flights to and fro and all lodging?

Despite our best efforts, sometimes things happen that are out of our control. If you purchase a round-trip entirely with your Eligible Card and a covered reason cancels or interrupts your trip, Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurancecan help reimburse your non-refundable expenses purchased with the same Eligible Card, up to $10,000 per trip and up to $20,000 per Eligible Card per 12 consecutive month period. Terms, conditions and limitations apply.10”

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 7, 2024 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:49 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PuddleHopper
drvannostren is Amex still offering medical cost coverage (e.g. hospital stay while on a trip) for CA-based platinum cards?
They removed medical coverage for US-based customers, only Emergency Medical Transport and Evacuation is included now.
Yes, they still offer emergency medical cost coverage, at least for Business Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.