Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Published vs Actual Carry On Size

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2023, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Published vs Actual Carry On Size

Most US Airlines state dimensions as 22x14x9, yet if you go on the websites of various luggage manufacturers, bag sizes which they claim have been tested, show outward dimensions bigger than 22". For instance the TravelPro Platinum Elite 21 has an exterior dimension of 23.5 which is seemingly over the sizing allowed. Sam is true for many other cases and brands. Not sure how to think about this as I absolutely want a case that will almost never get challenged.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:39 pm

It’s probably the case that most overhead bins can fit luggage larger than the stated 22x14x9 (aside from the smaller regional aircraft). The airline only has to publish dimensions; it does not have to enforce them. If it fits, it flies.

For the airlines that have published dimensions over this (e.g., Southwest), do they actually have larger bins?
Old May 8, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Just having a look at Monos and they claim it fits all carry on sizes. Or most?
Old May 19, 2023, 8:28 am

I have ordered the Monos carry on and its now more than 10 days and still no news from them about shipping it. Says still packing and I am about to leave soon. Would not even reply to my emails and sends an automated response.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by upsidedown
Most US Airlines state dimensions as 22x14x9, yet if you go on the websites of various luggage manufacturers, bag sizes which they claim have been tested, show outward dimensions bigger than 22". For instance the TravelPro Platinum Elite 21 has an exterior dimension of 23.5 which is seemingly over the sizing allowed. Sam is true for many other cases and brands. Not sure how to think about this as I absolutely want a case that will almost never get challenged.
I recommend this:
Edge Lightweight | International Carry-On Case | Zero Halliburton
m.photog likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by upsidedown
Just pick a case that suits your needs and budget. I don't think there's too much to worry about size wise anymore since most airlines have given up enforcing cabin baggage size. Even in the US, where I think peak size enforcement did occur, substantially all bag sizers have been removed. Personally, I haven't seen one since about 2016.

However, many airlines (esp. Non-US carriers) do still enforce carry-on weight restrictions. So, I would put a premium on choosing a lightweight bag that you can pack full while remaining under 8kgs.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TPACjv
Just pick a case that suits your needs and budget. I don't think there's too much to worry about size wise anymore since most airlines have given up enforcing cabin baggage size. Even in the US, where I think peak size enforcement did occur, substantially all bag sizers have been removed. Personally, I haven't seen one since about 2016.

However, many airlines (esp. Non-US carriers) do still enforce carry-on weight restrictions. So, I would put a premium on choosing a lightweight bag that you can pack full while remaining under 8kgs.
You probably have not flown on AC where they are very enthusiastic in enforcing the size in a lot of Canadian airports for sure.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Davvidd
You probably have not flown on AC where they are very enthusiastic in enforcing the size in a lot of Canadian airports for sure.
You are very right on that. AC is just a hair above "do not fly" on my airlines to try list. The only reason it's that high is simply that it's a *A carrier.

Lucky enough, AC doesn't compete well on any of my common routes.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by TPACjv
You are very right on that. AC is just a hair above "do not fly" on my airlines to try list. The only reason it's that high is simply that it's a *A carrier.

Lucky enough, AC doesn't compete well on any of my common routes.
Unfortunately for me I have to fly them domestically and have no choice. That said it looks like it is the bigger airports that they enforce the size. I have never experienced it at at smaller domestic airports. The odd thing is that the carry on I take does fit into the manual sizer but it failed the electronic sizer and I had to check it in.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Unfortunately for me I have to fly them domestically and have no choice. That said it looks like it is the bigger airports that they enforce the size. I have never experienced it at at smaller domestic airports. The odd thing is that the carry on I take does fit into the manual sizer but it failed the electronic sizer and I had to check it in.
The best way to deal with AC is to go down a size in carry-on. I went with a Briggs and Riley Commuter which is 19x14x9 and never draws a second glance when the gate dragons are on the prowl.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: United, American
I studied this back in the day. When looking at published size restrictions and the then bin sizer they used to use frequently at airports to "test" your bag size - there was an additional 1/2-1 inch extra room.

I have both a Travelpro international carry on (1-2 days for me) and a Domestic Carry on (2-3 days for me). I have found both fit in the over heads of most aircraft which is the main thing anyway.

Now lets talk about personal item backpacks and THOSE pesky under-seat restrictions. Just kidding - no one talks about those sizes here.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I studied this back in the day. When looking at published size restrictions and the then bin sizer they used to use frequently at airports to "test" your bag size - there was an additional 1/2-1 inch extra room.

I have both a Travelpro international carry on (1-2 days for me) and a Domestic Carry on (2-3 days for me). I have found both fit in the over heads of most aircraft which is the main thing anyway.

ow lets talk about personal item backpacks and THOSE pesky under-seat restrictions. Just kidding - no one talks about those sizes here.
I used to carry a Delsey and it has fitted into everything including the Q400 too. Never ever had a problem with anyone about it from end of 2018 until now when suddenly AC decided that it is way too big for me to carry on. The funny thing is that even when they have been checking for oversize bags at the gate they every time had a look at it and let me go. Suddenly earlier this year they decided that it was too big. It does fit the manual sizer but apparently it failed the electronic sizer.

I DO have an issue when people carry huge backpacks inside the aircraft and keep knocking me on the face with it. I have no issues them taking it inside but at least carry it with your hand instead of wearing it on your back when inside the aircraft. People with even huge carryons on wheels never keep hitting other people with it.
TPACjv and tcl like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: United, American
I DO have an issue when people carry huge backpacks inside the aircraft and keep knocking me on the face with it. I have no issues them taking it inside but at least carry it with your hand instead of wearing it on your back when inside the aircraft. People with even huge carryons on wheels never keep hitting other people with it.
For me its when the attendants come down the aisle and tell someone that their bag or backpack needs to fit under the seat - and that becomes a real trick if not impossible. Or they put their personal item bag in the overhead with their carry on bag as well (not supposed to be allowed) leaving less space for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.