Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on and packing philosophy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Carry-on and packing philosophy

I've always traveled with a rollaboard and a backpack. I just assumed I needed those two items, the backpack for the laptop and tech and anything I might need at my seat and the rollaboard for clothing and anything heavy.

But I always put the backpack up in the overhead bin and then I need to pick out the things I *actually* want at my seat like water, headphones, etc. So I started putting those things in a little bag or two (I like using J amenity kits from various airlines for this, some of which I actually flew on ....

But the more I think about it the more dumb this seems. If I'm going to put the backpack above then why am I bringing it at all. I could just put everything in the rollaboard. The main blocker for this is the laptop which I don't think would be very safe just lying loose in a rollaboard.

So I'm trying to make a new plan. I want to bring a small bag that can hold my headphones, water, etc. Something just slightly larger than what the kids are calling a "sling". It would stay with me at my seat and I wouldn't need to take things out when I sit down. I actually already have two bags like this anyways that I don't get to use as often as I would like.

And then I want to put the laptop in the rollaboard along with everything else that normally goes in my backpack. So I either need a new rollaboard that has a protected place for a laptop, or something like a hard shell case to protect the laptop in the rollaboard. And I would like a rollaboard that still gives me convenient access to things like heavier chargers or other things that used to go in my backpack even though I didn't need them at my seat. So I think I need a rollaboard with a tad more organization that I have currently. My current bag is basically impossible to get things out of without completely opening it and then struggling to get it closed again.

I realize if my rollaboard was gate checked I would have to pull out my laptop and any batteries that were there. But that's literally only ever happened to me once in 16 years of flying so I'm not too worried. And my plan is to use the small bag for the laptop at the destination anyways where it doesn't need much padding and I won't have all the other stuff.

Is there *anything* that meets that kind of usage pattern? I'm only interested in two-wheeled rollaboards btw ....
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:41 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I've always traveled with a rollaboard and a backpack.
Just stick with the roll-aboard and backpack/sling that you currently use. You are only going to create more inefficiencies/costs trying to do everything with a roll-aboard.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I agree stay with the bags you have now. I often move my laptop around - If I'm not using it on the plane, I put it in the rolling bag, usually with a puffer coat or other clothing to cushion. If you don't have that in your bag, you might want a more protective laptop case. Or just move it to your backpack in situations where you worry.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Just to be clear. My goal is to lighten my load walking around the airport. I want to not have to wear a backpack any more at all. Wearing a backpack is tiring and sweaty.

My headphones, batteries, water, snacks, pills, etc that I actually want at my seat are really small and light and the few times I've managed with only them in a small lightweight bag it's been *so* much more pleasant than wearing a backpack. So it seems silly to have the backpack at all given that it's going in the same overhead bin as the rollaboard and I never use the laptop on the plane.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Does your backpack have a luggage pass through? If you just want to get it off your back and aren’t planning to check your bag, then use your system but get a backpack that will ride the top of your carry on?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polariz
Does your backpack have a luggage pass through? If you just want to get it off your back and aren’t planning to check your bag, then use your system but get a backpack that will ride the top of your carry on?
I considered that. My actual bag combination wouldn't work but that could be fixed

But it just seems pointless. Why carry a big backpack if it's just going to go in the same overhead bin? And I have to pull stuff out to have with my at my seat anyways.

Basically I want to replace the backpack with a lightweight bag that's either a large sling or small bag. I happen to own a Pacsafe ls200 and a similar even lighter Victorinox bag. I often wish I had one of those on the trip and they would be practical to have at my seat.

I just need to offload a bit more into the rollaboard including the laptop...
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I've mentioned this before, but depending on the size of your laptop, you could just put all your necessities including the laptop inside of a Scottevest. That's where I store everything including my surface go I need in flight and everything that is valuable. I own several, and the featherweight vest is good for year round.

https://www.scottevest.com/
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:12 am

I'd say you need to reframe your question. You need to examine what you take and how you pack it, not what you pack it in. Most people just take too much stuff.

Search these forums for more ideas, starting here:
One bag carryon Travel Ninja tips (1 week business travel): Your time to brag (RULES)
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:31 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I considered that. My actual bag combination wouldn't work but that could be fixed

But it just seems pointless. Why carry a big backpack if it's just going to go in the same overhead bin? And I have to pull stuff out to have with my at my seat anyways.

Basically I want to replace the backpack with a lightweight bag that's either a large sling or small bag. I happen to own a Pacsafe ls200 and a similar even lighter Victorinox bag. I often wish I had one of those on the trip and they would be practical to have at my seat.

I just need to offload a bit more into the rollaboard including the laptop...
As an example, for my travels, I do a lot of laptop work, and I cannot see myself constantly wait for the plane to reach cruising altitude in order to open the overhead bin, take a luggage down, get stuff out, and place the luggage back in the bin. Then repeat that during landing. My briefcase is next to my feet, and not in the overhead bin; if the airplane configuration allows it. So not everything needs to go to the overhead bin, which makes travel more efficient.

The advice for the luggage/trolley strap will be the best advice if you are looking at a smaller bag. If your PacSafe has a luggage/trolley strap, that would be the way to go. That way you save time, you don't have to constantly reach in the overhead bin, have easy access/packing of cell phones/documents during TSA recheck, don't have to actual carry the bag/backpack with the luggage/trolley straps, and have a container for last moment purchases.

If you just want a one bagger, then the thread referenced in the previous post will be helpful.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Using your current system, can you fit the pacsafe with things you would want at your feet on a plane inside the rolling bag? Voila, there you are - one rolling bag in the airport, just before boarding get your smaller underseat bag out and board. If you need to check the rolling bag, you have what you need (medicines, passport, laptop, batteries) in the small pacsafe bag, right?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Rusearch
....Most people just take too much stuff.
Ain't that the truth. And how you know you take too much stuff look at all the stuff you bring back home that you NEVER even used. That's how I reduced what I travel with. Definitely if I'm traveling for months I buy full-size toiletries when I arrive and leave them there. I rather have room for important stuff like for health, safety and security.
Rusearch likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I think talking through the problem here leads me to the conclusion that the problem is that there's just really no good solution to bringing a laptop on a trip that doesn't lead to a relatively large bag. It forces me to either have a laptop bag as the second bag -- or come up with a rollerbag that has somewhere protected to put a laptop and still have a backup plan if I'm forced to check it.

I guess the real conclusion here is I should travel for leisure more and work less :/
Tuppe likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta
I Why carry a big backpack if it's just going to go in the same overhead bin?
I use a backpack as my personal item because it's easy to carry when in the airport or getting to or from the airport - and it doubles as my daily bag for work or pleasure at the destination. I find backpacks easier in general than shoulder bags / tote bags that rely on one shoulder strap or which need to be carried by handles in the hand, for daily carry.

This is for times when I am not traveling with just a backpack and no personal item instead of a rollaboard, of course.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I'm curious how often you need to carry your laptop (and other things) once you land at your destination? For me, this is the reason I use a professional-looking backpack to carry my laptop and other essentials. If I didn't have that, I would end up taking my wheeled carry-on bag with me to the office and/or to visit customers, which would make me look extremely strange.

Honestly, I would recommend looking for a backpack as small as you can muster with a luggage passthrough. Mine fits under the seat in front of my in any sized plane, carries not much more than a laptop, headphones and some chargers, and I can carry it around the city or with me when I'm on the road.

For a while, I traveled with https://www.cocooninnovations.com/pr...product_id=282 which I promise nobody will describe as "big". Now I use a Tumi backpack that's a bit bigger, but still very small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.