Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal item: what form works best?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Personal item: what form works best?

For years I have been thinking about buying a bag to use as a personal item, in addition to my carry-on roller. Finally getting down to selecting one. But being obsessive as I am, of course I can't pick up just any old bag. It must be well-considered!

• One aim is to have everything available in the personal item that I may need during the actual traveling. This way, I don't need a 'clever' carry-on roller and I can just keep that closed until I get to my destination. I list the items I typically access here.
  • Another aim is to be able to access the bag while it sits on the floor. A top-loader seems to me the most sensible, rather than having to butterfly-open a case to get something out.
  • Yet another aim is to be able to have the personal item double as an (as-big-as-possible) overnight bag This is where it gets tricky, as limitations for personal items seem to vary wildly. Although where I travel (Europe, Asia), I have not seen any airline other than RyanAir check the size of personal items / underseat bags.
I compared the offerings of Briggs & Riley, and found (all similar width and height):
  1. Executive travel duffle (2 compartments, 8" / 20cm deep)
  2. Expandable cabin bag (as above, but expandable by 4" / 10cm)
  3. Underseat duffle (1 compartment, 2 side pockets, 12" / 30cm)
The form factor of the Underseat Duffle seems the most sensible to me. It has those side pockets I can use for certain dedicated items like headphones. It has a single large compartment that I can rummage around in that is accessible through a big flap on the top. But it is rather large and would struggle to get through as an underseat bag on RyanAir. Might be compressible to meet the fit test?? Who has experience with any of these B&R bags specifically?

Mainly ... I'm curious what you use as a personal item ... and how you use it.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I have the B&R expandable cabin bag and love it, but i don't store my inflight items in there As i mentioned in your other thread, i solely use my Scottevest to store everything I need during the flight. I've been traveling like that since I first started buying those vests and jackets in 2016.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I like to use a 24h briefcase. Previously, I carried a B&R large expandable briefcase, which was pretty good until I needed a minor repair, which B&R has refused to do.

So this year I'm going to have a custom design produced by a briefcase maker.
RobCH likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:13 am
Original Poster

TPACjv What's a "24h briefcase" ?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:20 am

I have heard the 24 Hour Tin Filson referenced as the 24h.

Last edited by TGarza; Feb 4, 2023 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by gadget
TPACjv What's a "24h briefcase" ?
Ime, a 24 hour brief is a briefcase that has room for a change of clothes in addition to having tech/paperwork/laptop compartments.

A 48 hour brief will be a little bigger cuz it's supposed to have room for 2 days of clothes.
gadget, RobCH and HaleiwaFlyer like this.

Last edited by TPACjv; Feb 5, 2023 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:46 pm

I use a Catalina tote from Lo & Sons. I like the bottom compartment; very handy for bringing a change of shoes (or slippers for ultra long haul flights).
TWA884 and gadget like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
I use a Tumi backpack as my personal item for business travel. Not the huge Alpha model, a more streamlined one I bought a few years ago--I don't remember what it's called. For personal travel I will often use my trusty old North Face Borealis backpack, but use this thing less and less--it doesn't have a "handle sleeve" to set on top of the carryon, which I think is essential these days. And it is so big I often put a lot of stuff in it and it becomes too heavy (I have a really old model, not the current smaller one).

I am also going through a luggage refresh and just purchased the B&R Delve Convertible Brief; I was tired carrying a backpack around when I need to wear a suit or sport coat, but wanted to get backpack-level function when I don't have to "dress up" on the same trip. Will be swapped in and out with the Tumi depending on the trip.

Of your choices, it seems to me that the Expandable Cabin Bag is most useful. It has some organization and you can get to most of the compartments from the top--the Executive Travel Duffle just has some giant open area where all your junk will be disorganized. As far as your top choice, I think the Underseat Carryon is too big and you will be disappointed.

One of my other new purchases as part of my refresh was the Away Daily Carry On for overnight 1-2 day "casual clothes" trips. According to its dimensions, it meets the underseat carryon size requirements for UAL. But it arrived Saturday and I pulled it out of the box and there is no way this thing will fit under an UA seat--particularly if it is clogged by their giant in-seat power transformers used on the 737s. So, with that experience--I would not go with the bigger one. It is just a lot to shove under an economy class seat.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: None
Check out the Redoxx Mini...

SEE: https://www.redoxx.com/mini-boss-91016/p
gadget and artemis like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the extensive comment, ChrisInSD ... much appreciated.

The bag I'm trying to add to my collection is very specifically for use on (most of my) trips where I don't bring a computer and will always be paired with a carry-on roller. It's literally the bag I dig into when I need something during the travel, and I expect it to sit on the floor while I'm in a car, on a train or plane or whatever and on top of the carry-on roller when I'm walking. Backpacks are often suggested, but for some reason I never like using those.

The sub-division of the Expandable Cabin Bag is a fair point. But somehow my gut keeps telling 'get the bucket bag' (what you call 'giant open area') ... so I'm going to order a cheap $20 bag to give the concept a try. Won't be the same experience as a quality bag, but should at least give me some experience based on which I can make a final decision in a few months.

However, none here in Bangkok but I'll be in Singapore soon and I may have time to visit a B&R reseller there. So who knows what that will lead to! :-)
ChrisInSD likes this.

Last edited by gadget; Feb 8, 2023 at 3:54 am
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:04 am

Have you looked at either the Away weekender or the Nomad Lane bento bag? Both seem to fit what you're thinking of - a personal item that can be easily accessed, slips onto a cabin bag, and can double up as a weekend-away bag if necessary.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Have you looked at either the Away weekender or the Nomad Lane bento bag?
The former no longer sold but the Bento bag looks very interesting.

I am currently trialing what I call a “bucket” bag. Very little organization, opens wide at the top at just a big cavernous space. Something similar to https://www.briggs-riley.com/collect...derseat-duffle but I bought something cheap to try out the form factor.

the Bento is a different form factor, something I may look for in a cheap version to try it out. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by gadget
The former no longer sold but the Bento bag looks very interesting.

I am currently trialing what I call a “bucket” bag. Very little organization, opens wide at the top at just a big cavernous space. Something similar to https://www.briggs-riley.com/collect...derseat-duffle but I bought something cheap to try out the form factor.

the Bento is a different form factor, something I may look for in a cheap version to try it out. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts!
Oh sorry, didn't realize they had done away with the weekender.

They also have this: https://www.awaytravel.com/travel-ba...new?color=sand -- I personally have one and like the size of it. More options for you!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
They also have this: https://www.awaytravel.com/travel-ba...new?color=sand -- I personally have one and like the size of it. More options for you!
Very nice indeed! Definitely a contender if I decide the 'bucket style' bag is to go.
Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: United, American
A backpack sized to fit under the seat.
manacit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.