Wiki Posts
Search

Best travel meds container for up to 2 weeks of meds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Best travel meds container for up to 2 weeks of meds

Hey. Everyone

I’m getting older now and am on more meds than I care to admit. I’ve traveled recently up to like 18 days away and I need a better system for my meds. I don’t prefer to bring the bottles, but I know in some cases that is best. With my NorCal trip in October, I ended up extending and had to do telehealth appt to get some refills.

When I fly, I bring my Cpap too so I’m also getting bulky which I don’t like. Now I have a ton of meds too.

Anyone have some product recs to get more streamlined and better organized?

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I use a cloth zip-top toiletry bag about 10" X 5" X 2" that fits in the bottom of my backpack and will hold 7 plastic bottles across the bottom, and if necessary, another 2 or 3 bottles laid horizontally over that lower "row." I ask the pharmacy for the smaller bottles without the "childfree" caps as they are less bulky. I used to use an airline amenity bag but yes, as we grow older, the ailments and the pills increase.

These plastic see-through bags are a bit smaller than mine is but might work for you. Or there are plenty others to choose from:

Amazon Amazon

I also have a much smaller 2" X 3" case with an emergency 3 - day supply of 3 absolutely necessary medications which "lives" in my backpack permanently, along with an extra inhaler, just in case I forget the other bag.
whitewave likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by whitewave
Hey. Everyone

I’m getting older now and am on more meds than I care to admit. I’ve traveled recently up to like 18 days away and I need a better system for my meds. I don’t prefer to bring the bottles, but I know in some cases that is best. With my NorCal trip in October, I ended up extending and had to do telehealth appt to get some refills.

When I fly, I bring my Cpap too so I’m also getting bulky which I don’t like. Now I have a ton of meds too.

Anyone have some product recs to get more streamlined and better organized?

Thanks.
Not bringing the bottles, with I imagine has the prescription label on the outside, can cause problems in some countries if you are stopped. Bringing the bottles, and the CPAP, does get cumbersome but doesn't cause an issue with unlabeled medicine.
whitewave likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
I use a cloth zip-top toiletry bag about 10" X 5" X 2" that fits in the bottom of my backpack and will hold 7 plastic bottles across the bottom, and if necessary, another 2 or 3 bottles laid horizontally over that lower "row." I ask the pharmacy for the smaller bottles without the "childfree" caps as they are less bulky. I used to use an airline amenity bag but yes, as we grow older, the ailments and the pills increase.

These plastic see-through bags are a bit smaller than mine is but might work for you. Or there are plenty others to choose from:

https://www.amazon.com/Toiletry-Port...s%2C188&sr=8-2

I also have a much smaller 2" X 3" case with an emergency 3 - day supply of 3 absolutely necessary medications which "lives" in my backpack permanently, along with an extra inhaler, just in case I forget the other bag.
What a Great idea to get smaller bottles and I assume they can have labels too? thanks for the link.

RetiredATLATC yes, I agree. I’m on adderall, which I don’t take internationally for obvious reasons. Sleeping pills too. I so far have no had an issue but I realize I could. It’s why I’m trying to think this out for a better solution.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As noted - always bring prescription drugs in their original bottles with info. I'd also note that the zipper-case is very unlikely to be truly water-proof.

I usually carry a few of these with me when traveling

Osprey ultralight dry bag -
Amazon Amazon

Things that shouldn't get wet (or already are) goes in them, and the design makes it easy to clip to the outside of your bags if necessary to create more effective-volume. For example, it's how I usually carry around my Bose QC headset these days. Bright red bag - hard to forget, and with an add-on carabiner, I can clip it to seat back pocket (or belt) for easy access.
whitewave and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by whitewave
What a Great idea to get smaller bottles and I assume they can have labels too? thanks for the link.

RetiredATLATC yes, I agree. I’m on adderall, which I don’t take internationally for obvious reasons. Sleeping pills too. I so far have no had an issue but I realize I could. It’s why I’m trying to think this out for a better solution.
I have 4 prescriptions I take with me and have found that the bottles will squeeze nicely in the CPAP carrying case.
whitewave and Dianne47 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I have 4 prescriptions I take with me and have found that the bottles will squeeze nicely in the CPAP carrying case.
I can get some of them in The Cpap bag. I can also put the 7 day container in the pocket on the outside of the bag. It’s not ideal IMO. I have daytime and nighttime meds plus 2 asthma meds.

Plato90s thank you. That is an interesting solution. It could work, and very good point about a waterproof bag.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I don't have any liquid meds so I don't need the waterproof capability (good idea for other purposes though), and don't really prefer clear vs opaque,I just wanted the smallest adequate size. Yes, I have asked the pharmacist for smaller size bottles, and they have re-labeled them for me. I've read advice the one "should" have a copy of the original paper prescription with you, but the reality is that most are sent electronically these days, so no paper.

If it seemed necessary - say you want/need to put the pills in an unlabeled 7 day box - probably the pharmacy could print you an extra copy of the Rxs too
whitewave likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The last thing you want is for there to be an accidental spill and then liquids seep into your difficult-to-replace meds. Or even if it ruins the labels on your bottles!

I also vacation at tropical locations before phones were largely water proof, so having a bag to protect valuables like cash/electronics from unexpected rain is quite useful. As a tourist, sometimes you make an impulse purchase and once again - nice to have ability to quickly add a couple of extra liters of carrying capacity. I use a carabiner big enough to clamp around a carry-on rollaboard's handles, and I've not yet run into a gate agent who even glanced askance at a couple of those hanging off the vertical bars.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Update: I found a perfect one for me. It’s the Away small toiletry bag. https://www.awaytravel.com/accessori...or=black_nylon

i ordered blush and it’s exactly what I wanted and needed.

jcf27 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I also found an underseater that will hold my Cpap and meds case and possibly a purse.

Visual:

link to underseater: https://us.delsey.com/products/40167...ng-underseater

I have used the underseater as a weekender (have Cpap at the other house so don’t need to carry one) and I love it so far. I will see for sure at the end of April if it does actually fit under the seat.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: United, American
I would bring two 7 day (morning/night) pill containers.

A travel CPAP like the Z2 is good, but I might not want to use that more than 3 days.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Knock on wood - I only have to take one prescription med. But for my husband, I got a plastic two-sided box by Pillsteer, available still on Amazon, that's overall 5.7 by 4.5x 1.8 and has eight compartments of various sizes. Now I use that for my vitamins and supplements and it holds about 2 weeks worth. It strikes me that United's current awful clamshell black zip case for amenities is about the same dimensions and could be repurposed for pills.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:55 pm

I use 2" X 3" zip lock bags. I then put them in snack or sandwich zip lock. 7 day trip I'll have 8 or 9 bags each with 1 day morning pills. Those 8 or 9 bags will go on a sandwich bag labeled am. Same procedure for pm, lunch etc. I'll fill another bag with aspirin and ibuprofen. Other bags with cold pills etc

No wasted space.

edited to add I couldn't post a picture. Search eBay or Amazon for small ziplock bags
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:59 pm

You can also get even smaller ziplocks, like these.
jcf27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.