Search

Insurance Advice - Trip Cancelation & Cause not Covered

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 50k, DL Silver
Insurance Advice - Trip Cancelation & Cause not Covered

Hi all,

I booked an ORD-LIM round trip, 11/19-11/26, on my Amex Platinum - business class on Copa, connecting in PTY on both legs. The 11/18 LATAM/fire truck crash at LIM complicated things - Copa flew us to PTY and showed PTY-LIM as 'on time', as the LIM airport was supposed to reopen early afternoon 11/19. Upon arriving at PTY we found out the reopening had been pushed back, and Copa finally canceled our PTY-LIM leg. When we called to rebook, they said the earliest they could get us out was 11/25, so we opted to stay in Panama and have a vacation there instead (11/10, highly recommend - best rainforest hiking I've ever experienced!).

On returning home, I gave Amex's insurance carrier a call to look into making a claim for three nights' prepaid hotel cancelations I had to pay, as well as fee Copa charged to change my 11/26 flight from LIM-PTY-ORD to just PTY-ORD. Apparently an airport closing due to a plane crash is NOT a covered situation (unless it's your plane that crashed!), so AIG said sorry, but no trip delay, interruption, OR cancelation policy covers you.

I'm contacting the hotels directly to explain the situation and see if they're willing to refund the cancelation fees, and will be doing the same to Copa, but I'm curious if anyone has had experience pushing back with an insurance provider on 'non-covered' reasons for cancelations like this, where things are totally out out the traveler's hands? I'm guessing I'm SOL this time, but would love to know how to handle this should it happen again...
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by chicagodog
Hi all,

I booked an ORD-LIM round trip, 11/19-11/26, on my Amex Platinum - business class on Copa, connecting in PTY on both legs. The 11/18 LATAM/fire truck crash at LIM complicated things - Copa flew us to PTY and showed PTY-LIM as 'on time', as the LIM airport was supposed to reopen early afternoon 11/19. Upon arriving at PTY we found out the reopening had been pushed back, and Copa finally canceled our PTY-LIM leg. When we called to rebook, they said the earliest they could get us out was 11/25, so we opted to stay in Panama and have a vacation there instead (11/10, highly recommend - best rainforest hiking I've ever experienced!).

On returning home, I gave Amex's insurance carrier a call to look into making a claim for three nights' prepaid hotel cancelations I had to pay, as well as fee Copa charged to change my 11/26 flight from LIM-PTY-ORD to just PTY-ORD. Apparently an airport closing due to a plane crash is NOT a covered situation (unless it's your plane that crashed!), so AIG said sorry, but no trip delay, interruption, OR cancelation policy covers you.

I'm contacting the hotels directly to explain the situation and see if they're willing to refund the cancelation fees, and will be doing the same to Copa, but I'm curious if anyone has had experience pushing back with an insurance provider on 'non-covered' reasons for cancelations like this, where things are totally out out the traveler's hands? I'm guessing I'm SOL this time, but would love to know how to handle this should it happen again...
That's disturbing. I've been counting on travel insurance w AIG via AMEX to have some value. At least enough to justify a $695 annual fee. Hope you'll get this squared away. How is this not an interruption/delay/cancellation?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
As a disclaimer, I should say that I don't have any particular insight into travel insurance, I'm just trying to figure things out the same as you are.

That said, I think the reason for the cancellation is less important than the fact that the airline canceled your flight and couldn't get you to your destination in time, and because of that cancellation, you couldn't make use of the prepaid hotel reservations.

In general, I think it's best to try to avoid additional costs to reduce overall liability, so I would have called the hotel immediately to see if they would refund due to the airline's cancellation. Also, it's unseemly that the airline would charge you extra for changing the return flight due to their cancellation, so I would have pushed back on that at the time.

As always, it helps to get everything in writing, just so that you have evidence to submit for any claim.

Finally, I'm impressed that you managed to make the best of a bad situation by enjoying Panama! Stuff happens when we travel, and sometimes we just have to roll with the punches.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chicagodog
Hi all,

I generally do not purchase trip interruption or trip cancellation insurance; however, we were almost affected by the LIM closure. We were scheduled to fly from PEM to LIM on 11/21 and from LIM to MIA on 11/22.

On 11/19, we received an email from LATAM that our flight to LIM might be affected. Checking the LATAM and the Jorge Chávez International Airport's websites showed that the closure might last through 11/24. Several groups who were expected to arrive on 11/19 and 11/20 at the Tambopata Research Center, where we were staying, did not arrive due to flight cancellations.

Fortunately for us, the airport reopened at midnight 11/19, and we were able to fly to LIM and on to MIA.

Your post piqued my curiosity, so I looked up the fine print on the AIG Travel Guard policies. The Essential Plan does not cover trip interruption or cancellation due to airport closures. The Preferred Plan and the Deluxe Plan do; however, the covered reasons are: "complete or partial closure of the air traffic control tower or the airport from which the Insured is scheduled to depart. Closure must be caused by fire or a power outage, and must cause a delay of the Insured’s Trip for at least 48 consecutive hours. Does not apply to closures caused by a Natural Disaster or Inclement Weather..."

Apparently closures due to accidents or airplane crashes are not covered.

In the interest of complete disclosure, since we were hiking the Inca Trail and staying in the remote Reserva Nacional Tambopata in the Peruvian Amazon, we did purchase medical evacuation insurance.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Sounds like it's worth fighting. I don't see any thing excluding airport closures. On the AMEX Plat benefits T&C:

Trip Interruption If a Covered Loss causes an Eligible Traveler’s Trip Interruption, we will reimburse you for the nonrefundable amount paid to a Travel Supplier with your Eligible Card for the following: 1. The forfeited, non-refundable, pre-paid land, air and sea transportation arrangements that were missed; and 2. Additional transportation expenses that the Eligible Traveler incurs less any available refunds, not to exceed the cost of an economy-class air ticket by the most direct route for the Eligible Traveler to rejoin his or her Common Carrier Covered Trip or to return to his or her place of origin. If a Covered Loss causes an Eligible Traveler to temporarily postpone transportation by Common Carrier for a Covered Trip and a new departure date is set, we will reimburse you for the following: 1. The additional expenses incurred to purchase tickets for the new departure (not to exceed the difference between the original fare and the economy fare for the rescheduled Covered Trip by the most direct route); and 2. The unused, non-refundable land, air, and sea arrangements paid to a Travel Supplier with your Eligible Card.

F. What is NOT covered: For Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance, coverage does not apply to any Accident, Accidental Bodily Injury, or loss caused by or resulting from the following, directly or indirectly: • Pre-Existing Conditions. • The Eligible Traveler’s suicide, attempted suicide or intentionally self-inflicted injury. • A declared or undeclared war. • Mental or emotional disorders, unless hospitalized. • The Eligible Traveler’s participation in a sporting activity for which he or she receives a salary or prize money. • The Eligible Traveler being intoxicated at the time of an Accident. Intoxication is defined by the laws of the jurisdiction where such Accident occurs. • The Eligible Traveler being under the influence of any narcotic or other controlled substance at the time of an Accident, unless the narcotic or other controlled substance is taken and used as prescribed by a Physician. • The Eligible Traveler’s commission or attempted commission of any illegal or criminal act, including but not limited to any felony. • The Eligible Traveler parachuting from an aircraft. • The Eligible Traveler engaging or participating in a motorized vehicular race or speed contest. • Dental treatment except as a result of Accidental Bodily Injury to sound, natural teeth. • Any non-emergency treatment or surgery, routine physical examinations. • Hearing aids, eye glasses or contact lenses. • One-way travel that does not have a return destination. • A counterfeit scheduled airline or train ticket; or a scheduled airline or train ticket which is charged to a fraudulently issued or fraudulently used Eligible Card. • Any occurrence while the Eligible Traveler is incarcerated. • Loss due to intentional acts by the Eligible Traveler. • Financial insolvency of a travel agency, tour operator, or Travel Supplier. • Any expenses that are not authorized and reimbursable by the Eligible Traveler’s employer if the Eligible Traveler makes the purchases with a commercial Card
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This is what is covered:

B. Covered Losses:

Covered Losses include Trip Cancellations or Trip Interruptions that result from the following:
1. Accidental Bodily Injury or loss of life or Sickness of either the Eligible Traveler, Traveling Companion or a Family Member of the Eligible Traveler or Traveling Companion;
2. Inclement weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from traveling or continuing on a Covered Trip;
3. The Eligible Traveler or his or her spouse’s change in military orders;
4. Terrorist Action or hijacking;
5. Call to jury duty or subpoena by the courts, either of which cannot be postponed or waived;
6. The Eligible Traveler or Traveling Companion’s dwelling made uninhabitable; or
7. Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons.

Airport closures are not mentioned.

Source: Guide to Benefits for American Express® Card Member - Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.