Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How do luggage makers market these as "carry on"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As many here know I've been semi-on the hunt for new luggage. One thing I've noticed is that many manufacturers have carry ons that are over 22" long - but 22" including wheels and handles is the published limit for most US airlines. Why do they do this?

For example, the Travelpro 22" spinner is actually 23.5" long (but the case itself is 22" long). This is also part of the reason I'm looking for an "international" size carryon.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 25, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People seem to get away with it. I wish the luggage makers would respect the limits!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
All the luggage I use now is international versions. I don't like taking chances. Like the one poster stated, the manufacturers can get away with in order to sell their large roomy carryons. Also, the passengers bring even larger bags, huge backpacks AND a 2nd large backpack as a personal item and one the other as an actual carry-on, and airline staff don't bat an eye. I have seen this combo frequently and they get away with it.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:24 am

Airlines don’t enforce their own luggage size rules. I have noticed both AA and WN enforcing the 1 bag and 1 personal item rule requiring passengers to consolidate before boarding but still allowing oversized bags.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by TGarza
Airlines don’t enforce their own luggage size rules. I have noticed both AA and WN enforcing the 1 bag and 1 personal item rule requiring passengers to consolidate before boarding but still allowing oversized bags.
I've seen this numerous times, and if the passenger has a shopping bag they completely ignore it. I saw people doing this years ago, and I tried it and it works on some airlines. Especially if you have a large duty free bag that's not sealed where you can put your personal belongings in there too. Also wearing a scottevest or similar you put a boatload of stuff in those vest and that's what I also use on every flight anywhere.
TGarza likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:53 pm

There are three different issues at play: the published limits, the physical limits of the overhead bin, and the actual rule. As an example, I used to own the 22” Travelpro FlightCrew5. It’s actual length (including handle and wheels) was 23 3/4”. It’s actual depth was 10” (compared to the published 9”). Yet, it fit in a typical 737-800NG bin as if it was designed for it.

Often you’ll hear statements such as “FAA regulations require your luggage fit within…” That is not quite the full story. The oversimplified version is that the FAA tells airlines (through an advisory circular) how to meet their carry-on baggage rules. One such statement is to “Provide information about how many items you will accept as carry-on baggage for each passenger. You may stipulate the maximum dimensions of these items, if you need to do so to ensure proper stowage.”

It doesn’t really matter what the actual dimensions of the carry-on bag are. The important question is whether it can be properly stowed. Passengers are not breaking any rules if the airline accepts their baggage and it safety fits in the overhead bin.

For those interested in the AC:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC121-29B.pdf
bawr likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:00 am

Turned Heads

Most of my flights originate/end in CLE. Hence, first/final segment is often aboard a regional jet. Gate agents are extremely vigilant in tagging ANY bag with wheels for valet check. This includes rolling totes & computer cases. Always consistent albeit aggravating.

Transitioning to full size aircraft, I have witnessed passengers with bags that obviously are too large walk right past the flight attendants without challenge. Then, after making their way to the back of the cabin and discovering there is no room for their “stuff”, they have to fight their way back to the front to gate check. Intentional ploy to avoid a baggage fee? Perhaps. But it DOES cause delay. Sometime I think the flight attendants let it slide to avoid confrontation.

Recently I was on a return flight from SFO with a young traveler that had a 22” roll-a-board, a Goruck GR-1 26 liter backpack, AND a guitar case. He never should have been permitted to enter the jetway in my estimation. GRRR.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:31 pm

I have a B&R Baseline that's fully complaint with the 21x14x9 rule, and I think the problem for me is that it carries significantly less than my Away Bigger Carry-On. It's a significant difference, to the point where if I'm on US airlines, I generally expand my Briggs a notch or two because most people's bags are closer to 10" deep if not more.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: KrisFlyer
I recall sitting in a small plane servicing a domestic route to a small airport in an Asian country. An American tourist was trying to push her bag into the overhead bin and it was obviously too thick. She was shouting and complaining that her bag was standard size and she has flown a lot before.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MajulahMadooba
I recall sitting in a small plane servicing a domestic route to a small airport in an Asian country. An American tourist was trying to push her bag into the overhead bin and it was obviously too thick. She was shouting and complaining that her bag was standard size and she has flown a lot before.
Last summer that scene played out in almost every regional flight across Europe for about three months.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by MajulahMadooba

Within the US, a gate agent would have flagged the bag and offered a gate check tag. If the flyer refused, the gate agent will state your bag is too large for the overhead bins. I see this scenario almost every month when flying a regional jet to a small airport.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
A couple of years ago I wanted a non-wheeled international carry-on bag. International size to ensure that it would fit, and non-wheeled both because agents sometimes force gate-checking of wheeled bags, and because if I also check a bag, I wanted it to be able to ride on the wheeled, checked bag.

Such a thing hardly exists any more! The one I chose, from Osprey, had been discontinued but was still available from discounters. I also have a domestic-size non-wheeled carry-on bag, but I bought it ca. 2008.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:46 am

They assume you’re flying Delta Airlines where as long as you can figure out a way to cram it in the overhead bin it’s a carry-on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.