Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Briggs & Riley Baseline, INTERNATIONAL 21 (U121CXW-4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:44 am
Original Poster

I travel weekly (85% domestically / 15% internationally) and am looking for a new carry-on which I will not have to check. I was looking at the B&R Baseline 21" International ( Baseline, U121CXW-4 - INTERNATIONAL 21" EXPANDABLE ROLLING CARRY-ON UPRIGHT) and wanted to know peoples real life experiences traveling with this bag. Any issues on fitting into sizers and/or overhead bins?

Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I have the spinner version. It really compresses everything nicely. Fits on every plane I've been on except a really small commuter plane in Mexico. They were gate checking almost everyone's carry-on but I decided to take mine on and couldn't even get it partially in the overhead. The overhead storage was the size you fine on buses. So it wasn't the size of the carry-on. That was the only plane I had issues with. Delta's small regional jets work fine and anything larger. You shouldn't have any issues.

I have several B&R Baseline pieces, which happens to be my go to luggage. I really like the suite compartment even though I don't use it for suits. I just lay all my clothes in there, with no hangers, like 5 shirts and 4 pair of pants and a light jacket and zip it up. Everything stays nice and neat until I get to my destination. If you want to buy a companion piece to sit on top, and use as a personal item, check out the Baseline Expandable Cabin Bag. The best piece I own by B&R👍
https://www.briggs-riley.com/product...4c2c92ad&_ss=r
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
WalMart had this bag on clearance for some reason about 2 years ago. I picked one up for $349. I loooooved everything about it. The zippers, the wheels, the quality, etc. It's one of few 2-wheeled roll-aboards left on the market. Then I got to the non-removable suiter. The suiter, with it's foam padding, etc. took up too much space for me. The ratcheting expansion seems overly complicated.

I wanted to love the bag. But, even at 50% off, I couldn't justify it.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by aww3583
WalMart had this bag on clearance for some reason about 2 years ago. I picked one up for $349. I loooooved everything about it. The zippers, the wheels, the quality, etc. It's one of few 2-wheeled roll-aboards left on the market. Then I got to the non-removable suiter. The suiter, with it's foam padding, etc. took up too much space for me. The ratcheting expansion seems overly complicated.

I wanted to love the bag. But, even at 50% off, I couldn't justify it.
Are the older ones different? The one I have, half of the suiter is removable including the foam, and what you're left with is an area where you can put all your regular clothes and it cinches it down. That's one of the best parts of this bag including the compression devices.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Are the older ones different? The one I have, half of the suiter is removable including the foam, and what you're left with is an area where you can put all your regular clothes and it cinches it down. That's one of the best parts of this bag including the compression devices.
They may have made changes to the construction recently. I purchased (and returned) mine in mid-2020 and no portions of the suiter were removable.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Has anyone used one of these on the regional jets? My current bag is 14 inches wide, and will fit in the back closet, the 15 inch width on this one is my worry. Was hoping someone with this bag has some first hand knowledge to share.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by XLFlyer
Has anyone used one of these on the regional jets? My current bag is 14 inches wide, and will fit in the back closet, the 15 inch width on this one is my worry. Was hoping someone with this bag has some first hand knowledge to share.

Thanks.
I flew a Delta regional jet with my international spinner version from Tucson to Los Angeles. It fit just fine.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and information ... I need to check the B&R site, but I think the spinner version is an inch more narrow than the 2 wheeled version
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:33 am

I just checked the B&R website, and the 2 wheel version is 9 inches and the spinner version is 11 inches actually. So, I don't see any issues. BUT, I can say on some regional jets, some of the overhead compartments directly near the first row are smaller than the ones further back. The only time I had to gate check was on this really small regional jet in Mexico. I've never been on one that size before and as I had stated mostly everyone had to gate check. I thought they were just being picky, but I tried my best to get it to fit, and none of it would fit in at all. I've never been on a regional jet in the US with small overheads like that. BUT, I can see the baseline international not fitting if the front sleeve is OVERSTUFFED. I just keep my covid tests in there
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriot Plat, National Exec
I’ve had this bag for many years and love it. One thing to note for domestic US travel, the newer overhead bins where you are supposed to turn your carryon on its side to put more bags in the bin, 737-800 on American for instance, the bag doesn’t fit. It must be laid flat due to that extra inch. I still love the bag, I just don’t enjoy being “that guy” with the bag that doesn’t fit the way it supposed to.
kochleffel likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:14 am

Briggs & Riley Baseline (New Products)

New and improved Baseline products:
Baseline Collection
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
New and improved Baseline products:
Baseline Collection
Did they actually change anything substantial? I just picked up a U122CX-4 on sale (which makes sense now) and I can't find much in the way of differences. It looks like there's a slight bump in capacity (2324 - 3050 cu. in. vs 2352 - 3087 cu. in.) and the newer one seems a bit heavier?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by manacit
Did they actually change anything substantial? I just picked up a U122CX-4 on sale (which makes sense now) and I can't find much in the way of differences. It looks like there's a slight bump in capacity (2324 - 3050 cu. in. vs 2352 - 3087 cu. in.) and the newer one seems a bit heavier?
Personally, I don't like any of the new ones. The carrying handles on the smaller bags like the 2 wheel cabin bag and the expandable bag LOOK CHEAP. I'm just glad I have the older version. And it confirms my thought of buying a backup expandable cabin bag before they become non-existent.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:20 pm

The new video of the baseline collection
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:22 pm

One thing I notice on the new ones is the wheels appear to be the same size, front AND back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.