Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best Carry-on that fits KLM *and* Emirates limits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Carry-on that fits KLM *and* Emirates limits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Question Best Carry-on that fits KLM *and* Emirates limits?

Looks like my current carry-on, a Samsonite Black Label Cosmolite 21.7" × 15.7" × 7.9"
Exceeds the size limits of both my next 2 international flights

=== KLM Limit 55 x 35 x 25 cm (21.5 x 13.5 x 10 inch)
=== Emirates limit 55 x 38 x 20 cm (21.5 x 14.9 in x 7.9 In)

Do you have any recommendations for a carry on that would satisfy both those requirements, or
21.5 x 13.5 x 7.9 "
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
With KLM I don't think that you will have problems. The difference is too small and they don't care too much for that, except if you're bring a HUGE carry-on bag. The KLM is the company that I fly most and I never had problems in international flights.

About Emirates, I cannot say anything. It's out of my regular route.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:18 am
Suspended

I am using a carry-on bag that's 55 x 40 x 20 cm (i.e., same size as yours) and I do fly AF and KL regulary. Never had a problem. I do board with Sky Priority group, not sure if they are more strict if you have a higher boarding group.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both pmichelazzo and 8mh for the reassurance!

I spent another hour looking and literally couldn't find a hardshell carry-on that meets both those requirements.
And a hardshell that is lighter than my current Samsonite carry-on probably doesn't exist

3.7 lbs
https://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/c...er=lugaz-lu015

The added bonus for me (female traveling solo) is Samsonite is not a status symbol, even though the bag actually is quite expensive due to the CURV material.
In Changi airport they actually had an interactive display about it.
(edit - maybe that was Hong Kong airport)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Thank you both pmichelazzo and 8mh for the reassurance!

I spent another hour looking and literally couldn't find a hardshell carry-on that meets both those requirements.
And a hardshell that is lighter than my current Samsonite carry-on probably doesn't exist

3.7 lbs
https://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/c...er=lugaz-lu015

The added bonus for me (female traveling solo) is Samsonite is not a status symbol, even though the bag actually is quite expensive due to the CURV material.
In Changi airport they actually had an interactive display about it.
(edit - maybe that was Hong Kong airport)
Sometimes if you go to the airlines websites where you can purchase stuff through them, they will have luggage that they deem as meeting their carry-on requirements to sell. Maybe that's an option to have a quick browse?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
Some months ago I changed my set of bags (carry-on and checked bags) to a Delsey set. The carry-on is this: https://www.delsey.com.br/mala-bordo...1395/&v=986411 (sorry to the PT-BR link, I'm in BR now and they always redirect me to the local store).

This bag fits your needs and is really light. Probably could be an option and you can find in US.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Sometimes if you go to the airlines websites where you can purchase stuff through them, they will have luggage that they deem as meeting their carry-on requirements to sell. Maybe that's an option to have a quick browse?
I just looked through KLM and Emirates and don't see that option anywhere.

Do you see a link where they sell luggage?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by MareLuce
I just looked through KLM and Emirates and don't see that option anywhere.

Do you see a link where they sell luggage?
I only looked for KLM and there is a selection here: https://store.flyingblue.com/catalog...y-ons/id/9841/ but I have not gone through it to check sizes.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Silver Fox !

I found 1 carryon that would meet KLM requirements but not also Emirates.

The maximum dimension that satisfies both is: 55 x 35 x 20 cm (21.5 x 13.5 x 8 in)

The 20 cm maximum depth is what makes it impossible.

I wouldn't mind going down to a bag that size.
My fave one from the site you linked to is
https://store.flyingblue.com/samsoni...uminium1509row

I really like the more square carry-on form factor for what I need.

However, its dimensions are 43.0 cm x 42.0 x 23.0 cm
And KLM carry-on Limit 55 x 35 x 25 cm
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:18 am

My recommendation for a carry on is to skip the hardshell and the wheels. Get a Billingham weekender bag. The European airlines will ding you on carry on weight every chance they get. When I used a wheeled case for a carry on, an Air France agent once tried to tell me I couldn't move a paperback book from my carry on to my pocket to get under the limit (less relevant to you, an Austrian FA tired to tell me on board that I was over the weight limit, even though they weighed me at the counter). That Billingham is so light you'll never hit a weight limit and nobody ever questions the size of the truly soft bag (as opposed to a soft sided wheeled bag). A Billingham never wears out. I once had to use my Billingham camera bag to sled down an iced over mountain when I bit off more than I can chew. Both the bag and the camera equipment survived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.