Wiki Posts
Search

Trifold Garment Bag - Replacing Patagonia MLC Burrito

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Trifold Garment Bag - Replacing Patagonia MLC Burrito

Hi All

I've been using a Patagonia MLC Burrito for my carry on for years now. I wish I had purchased two!

Unfortunately, the plastic "lining" on the canvas material has started to fail and smells pretty bad now.

Why I love this bag?

When not in use, it simply rolls up into a very small cylinder. So in tight rooms, or, maybe even yacht holidays, after unpacking I'm not left with a big empty case.

Its a tough bag, but there's not much to it, so it's light.

I can pack fast. Suits/shirts, just go straight in. Trifold, it packs up small and with minimal creasing.

It has space for shoes. Easily.

It's damn strong and expands. I can pack a week's worth of clothes for a winter trip. Or, 10 days of clothes for a summer trip.

I've never had it forcibly checked in. Even when cabin crew are tagging everyone around me to put their bag in the hold, with this being on my shoulder and looking pretty malleable, it always ends up in the cabin.

It also has plenty of other pockets both inside and on the exterior.

I can hang it up on arrival and actually not need to unpack, if m in a rush or it's just a quick overnight stop.

I'm really hoping that there is a bag out there that provides the same functionality.

Most seem to have a very rigid structure, meaning they cannot be rolled up, nor can they be expanded much.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I use the Gate-8 Garment Mate bag exclusively and have done 400+ flights and ~800,000 miles with it in 3 years.
The bag does everything that it is advertised. 3-4 suits? Easy. 5-6 dress shirts - No problem. 5-6 days of undergarments - Into the shoulder pockets. 2 x Jeans/4 x Casual shirts - Into the zippered pocket. Has a removable Laptop bag as well.
rossyl likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've been using a Wallybags 52" trifold for years, and it is both bulletproof and well laid out. The purchased model was this one, but is is now discontinued.

Doing some research it sure looks like Amazon is selling an nearly identical version under their own
"Basics" "Basics"
brand, which IMO may actually be made by Wallybags (looks to be 2" shorter in folded out length, which isn't a bad thing). I wouldn't hesitate to buy the
Amazon Basics Amazon Basics
version at the $51 price point (according to my Honey app, Amazon has dropped the price from $96 in the past month). Want to say I paid about $125 for the old Wallybags branded bag roughly nine years ago. It is in great condition after about forty trips (probably a half dozen as checked baggage).

rossyl likes this.

Last edited by Craig6z; Oct 19, 2020 at 5:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.