Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What’s the unofficial luggage brand hierarchy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion

Just curious as to the general opinion around here about the brand hierarchy of luggage. What’s the Cadillac of suitcase brands? With the number of frequent fliers here, I know brand loyalty runs high and am curious as to where that loyalty lies.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013
Just curious as to the general opinion around here about the brand hierarchy of luggage. What’s the Cadillac of suitcase brands? With the number of frequent fliers here, I know brand loyalty runs high and am curious as to where that loyalty lies.
Thats like asking do you drive a or Leica or Nikon etc etc...... So where do you stand on this..? I will go first with Samsonite as my choice....
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:28 am

Tumi. I have a 25 year old 22-inch Tumi carry-on bag that is virtually indestructible. I take it everywhere and it has held up extremely well.
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
From personal experience, I’d say it’d go:

Top of the Line:
Rimowa for hard sided
Tumi for soft sided

Best bang for the buck:
Travelpro

Stay away at all costs:
Protege
Travelers Club
bulbmogul, syvjeff and thijsseh like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:34 am

From personal experience, I’d say it’d go:

Top of the Line:
Rimowa for hard sided
Tumi for soft sided

Best bang for the buck:
Travelpro

Stay away at all costs:
Protege
Travelers Club

Your a good sport as I was just being sarcastic with the Samsonite but RIMOWA is by far on the top of the food chain in my onion too. Yes I have about 15 Aluminum Pieces of Rimowa and just love it..

Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:37 am

RIMOWA #1

Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:34 am

Briggs&Riley. Warranty states "No excuses".
feysul and jgor like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scotflyer1
Briggs&Riley. Warranty states "No excuses".
I looked at Briggs&Riley before getting a Tumi and while yes I agree their luggage has a great warranty...is it just me or does it just look unattractive? I’ve seen Samsonite pieces that look better.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Your a good sport as I was just being sarcastic with the Samsonite but RIMOWA is by far on the top of the food chain in my onion too. Yes I have about 15 Aluminum Pieces of Rimowa and just love it..

I wish Rimowa had soft sided luggage and I’d love to buy from them! I thought about buying a Rimowa bag for the few times when I do have to check luggage but the thought of a $1000+ suitcase being tossed around makes my stomach churn.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:34 am

I looked at Briggs&Riley before getting a Tumi and while yes I agree their luggage has a great warranty...is it just me or does it just look unattractive? I’ve seen Samsonite pieces that look better.
It's a piece of luggage, get over it.
CO-PLAT, NPF and jgor like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The world of luggage is big enough that the hierarchy will depend on who you are and what you want from your baggage. Stepping out of the context of road warriors, top end to me is Goyard, Louis Vuitton (money can't buy good taste) and Bottega Veneta. Personally I use one of the luxury range of Tumi ones - I would agree that life is far too short to spend it pulling along one of their ugly mid-80s Anderson Consulting models.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malgudi
It's a piece of luggage, get over it.
I think when anyone spends over $500 for a suitcase, they’re allowed to be selective. To me, I know B&R makes a high quality product but their design is sorely lacking.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The world of luggage is big enough that the hierarchy will depend on who you are and what you want from your baggage. Stepping out of the context of road warriors, top end to me is Goyard, Louis Vuitton (money can't buy good taste) and Bottega Veneta. Personally I use one of the luxury range of Tumi ones - I would agree that life is far too short to spend it pulling along one of their ugly mid-80s Anderson Consulting models.
I definitely agree! I’m fascinated with the vintage Louis Vuitton and Goyard trunks but unfortunately way out of my league.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Smile

After a long time of mismatched pieces from LV, Coach, Halliburton -- I made the jump about 10 years ago to T. Anthony. T. Anthony makes their luggage in the US and Italy. They have only one direct outlet on Park Avenue in NYC. Excellent service. And they stand by their products, basically forever: I consider T. Anthony a more understated equivalent to Goyard.

https://tanthony.com/pages/retailers
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:13 am

#1--Goruck
#2--Tom Bihn
#3--Redoxx
#4--Brown Buffalo
#5--Evergoods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.