Have Travel Insurers Killed Their Product for Leisure Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Travel Insurers Killed Their Product for Leisure Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Sorry, just seeing this. Yes, that is the case. Pretty ironic the only outfit which refused the refund in this entire situation is the insurer!

I'm seeing a little progress through complaints I filed with the BBB and my state's Insurance Commissioner, since it's not so easy for companies to simply ignore regulatory authorities. Even if I'm not refunded, I want a record on file of exactly what kind of company this is, so they can be prevented from ripping off consumers going forward if it's shown there's a pattern of, say, taking people's money, then refusing all contact.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Sorry, just seeing this. Yes, that is the case. Pretty ironic the only outfit which refused the refund in this entire situation is the insurer!

I'm seeing a little progress through complaints I filed with the BBB and my state's Insurance Commissioner, since it's not so easy for companies to simply ignore regulatory authorities. Even if I'm not refunded, I want a record on file of exactly what kind of company this is, so they can be prevented from ripping off consumers going forward if it's shown there's a pattern of, say, taking people's money, then refusing all contact.
Could yuo please clarify why the insurer owes you $$. Your policy in fine print excludes war and pandemics. ???? So why do they owe you anything?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Because they told me I'd be eligible to apply for an exception to have my premium refunded, since all my suppliers refunded save one who offered a voucher (special circumstance - property tied to my family), then reneged by repeating lies that I hadn't provided proofs, which I did repeatedly.

Actually, worse than reneged - in my experience and those of many others with whom I've connected on social media, Generali Travel is 100% unreachable by consumers. Phone calls go to robots or are put on hold, then disconnected; emails aren't answered for weeks if at all; people who complain on social media are blocked. I figure my state's Insurance Commissioner needs to start a file on them if they haven't already - they're going to need it.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
There's a reason travel insurance has incredibly high margins for airlines who sell it to you. The cost of a trip is generally "an affordable loss," and therefore something you shouldn't insure against since your risk-weighted losses will exceed the cost of the trip. And many credit cards provide some coverage anyway. I'd only make sure to have some sort of international health insurance (often covered by your domestic health insurance) and car rental insurance (often covered by a credit card policy, your own car insurance, or required to be provided by the car rental company in some countries) and take your chances with everything else. Travel suppliers will often be flexible if you provide documentation of a health issue or death that prevents you from traveling anyway, particularly if you have status.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Because they told met.
written or the asian phone op that you talked to on the phone
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:42 am

After posting on the insurer's facebook page I finally got a response on my three and a half month old claim (it was for non-covid hospitalization while traveling). They said my claim had been processed but still had to be approved before a check could be issued. I figure that will take another three and a half months and a lot of prodding before that happens. If ever.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Travel insurance was a rip-off pre-pandemic, and has proven even more so. Too many people think it's a reimbursement plan if you are inconvenienced. The most commonly used benefit is "cancel for any reason" to where you get 50-75% back, and often only certain buckets of charges. Considering the cost of premiums, and how often the average person needs to actually use such a thing, you are better off to self-insure.

The only area I see value in is medical coverage or perhaps a really high-risk trip. Especially if you have a high-risk condition that is covered. Medical issues could bankrupt you. Cancelling an already paid for flight will not. There are some plans out there for medical and evac that could make sense. Even then, you're bound by all kinds of loopholes.

I'll let my travel credit card protections run their course, apply reasonable precautions, and suck up the rest.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Travel insurance was a rip-off pre-pandemic, and has proven even more so. Too many people think it's a reimbursement plan if you are inconvenienced. The most commonly used benefit is "cancel for any reason" to where you get 50-75% back, and often only certain buckets of charges. Considering the cost of premiums, and how often the average person needs to actually use such a thing, you are better off to self-insure.

The only area I see value in is medical coverage or perhaps a really high-risk trip. Especially if you have a high-risk condition that is covered. Medical issues could bankrupt you. Cancelling an already paid for flight will not. There are some plans out there for medical and evac that could make sense. Even then, you're bound by all kinds of loopholes.

I'll let my travel credit card protections run their course, apply reasonable precautions, and suck up the rest.
Friend of mine on cruise and his wife needed hospital in Mexico. He had to put up $5000 first
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
After posting on the insurer's facebook page I finally got a response on my three and a half month old claim (it was for non-covid hospitalization while traveling). They said my claim had been processed but still had to be approved before a check could be issued. I figure that will take another three and a half months and a lot of prodding before that happens. If ever.
Be careful, if they have a shark lawyer you could be hit with a libel suit
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel insurance is a broad term. It includes everything from policies which reimburse tiny inconveniences to those which include long-haul medevac.

Buying through an air carrier, TA, or industry participant is usually a poor idea. For the regular travel, there are all manner of annual policies with likely comprehensive policies and for the the occasional traveler, per trip.

One thing to remember is that premiums are calculated based on risk and risk is calculated based on contract terms. Given what is at stake, spend the time to carefully read the policy language (not marketing materials) word-for-word, especially the definitions.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
I agree with OP

For years, I didn't buy coverage. Then we got a bit older and began to. However, if ones previously considered good have been so bad about paying claims...as someone else said, even cancel for any reason policies usually only cover 50-75% of costs.

On the other hand more and more travel suppliers are beginning to offer their own products at reasonable rates (like $100-$200 per head) for "cancel for any reason" coverage--the catch being in many you to take travel credit rather than cash. However, I've seen some that provide refund to your payment method. These may be worth considering in the future.

For the smaller inconvenience things like lost luggage, delayed flights, etc. there are annual polices that cover these types of things--or coverage from some credit cards.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:37 pm

Four months after filing my claim, I finally received a check - by email!! Didn't know that was possible, but I printed it out and the bank accepted it. so I guess all is good. At last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.