Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa Original, Hybrid (Alu vs. Poly) or something else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:14 am
dft
Original Poster

Hi,

Looking for a Check In Case in Medium Size.

Rimowa Original (Alu) and Hybrid (Poly with Alu Corners) are on my short list.

What would you do? I'm flying 2-3 times a year. Most of travelling is by car.

Want to have a case without zipper and a one that lasts very long (as I travel not that much, it wouldn't be such a big problem at all).

What are your opinions?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I think if you're going for a Rimowa, go with the aluminum because that's what they're known for.

I had been wanting to buy a Rimowa trunk for a long time (checked bag), but finally decided against it. It seems the new generation ones (made after the company was bought by LV) has had mixed reviews (but still good). But my main deciding factor was that service centers are few and far between - and there's actually none where I'm at right now. I eventually went for a Tumi 19 degree aluminum (half the price on sale compared to a Rimowa).
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:54 pm
dft
Original Poster

Thx for your feedback.

but for me it’s only decision between Alu vs Polycarbonate (Original or Hybrid).

Tumi Alu is too heavy.

any other feedback?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by dft
Thx for your feedback.

but for me it’s only decision between Alu vs Polycarbonate (Original or Hybrid).

Tumi Alu is too heavy.

any other feedback?
For checked luggage? I would go with poly, unless you don't mind the scratched and dented aluminum look.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:17 am
dft
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave510
For checked luggage? I would go with poly, unless you don't mind the scratched and dented aluminum look.
Thx Dave. That's the point what I was thinking about. Really like the Alu look, but I don't know if it's any better than the Poly...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by dft
Thx Dave. That's the point what I was thinking about. Really like the Alu look, but I don't know if it's any better than the Poly...
The only advantage to the aluminum is that some people like the way that it looks. That's it. There's nothing about it that makes it "better."

I'm saying this as the owner of two Rimowa aluminum cases. They are fun to look at, but they're not practical. One of them is in the shop right now after United converted it from a spinner into a tricycle.

With higher prices and lower quality after the LVMH acquisition, I really don't see the point of buying Rimowa and contributing to Bernard Arnault's next Picasso.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by blort
The only advantage to the aluminum is that some people like the way that it looks. That's it. There's nothing about it that makes it "better.".
Unlike poly-carbonate you can repair aluminum suite cases and in case of a Rimowa suite case it even makes sense from an economic standpoint. Always keep in mind that aluminum suite cases have a higher net weight which can become an issue with strict weight limits. The stability and durability of the aluminium comes with the price of a higher weight.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:47 pm

I have both the Alu and Hybrid suitcases. If you don't tend to pack heavy- and don't mind inevitable marks from the loving care of baggage handlers can't go wrong with their Original/Topas/whatever they are calling it now.

That being said, I did recently pick up their hybrid line because of their color choices.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:09 am
dft
Original Poster

So. End up searching.

I have a short list where I have to decide:

- Rimowa Essential check in m
- Rimowa Hybrid check in m
- Briggs & Riley Torq 2.0 Spinner Medium

what about your Choice? Which one would you choose?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I have both the Rimowa Hybrid Cabin and Essential check-in.
I think your choice is between whether you prefer a zipper or clamshell locks.
I prefer the clamshell locks, but received the Essential as a gift, so I'm not complaining.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:43 am
dft
Original Poster

Thx for your feedback.

thinking about if the frame isn’t that resistent as the flexible zipper version of the essential.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I have mixed feeling about the zipper (it's easy to open with a pen and mine is fraying a bit. The frame on my Hybrid cabin seems indestructable and is more water resistant.

Happy travelling on your choice!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by dft
Thx for your feedback.

thinking about if the frame isn’t that resistent as the flexible zipper version of the essential.
The Essential version just looks like a heavily marked up Samsonite with a Rimowa logo. I would probably go with the Hybird for the better handles, hinges and lock.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:16 pm
dft
Original Poster

Thx a lot for all that feedback.

is there any advantage in taking matte or glossy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.