Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Lightest full size aluminum check in luggage ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

My soft side American Tourister roller is about 15 pounds, it's 29 inches tall ,
How many pounds can I save with an aluminum shell suitcase the same basic size ?
I do not need any internal structure or pockets , that probably takes 3-4 pounds on my soft side bag.

Or is there even something lighter like carbon fiber
Thanks for your ideas
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I assume aluminum provides better protection, but for weight savings polycarbonate is the way to go.

I picked up the Tumi Latitude 26.75" (64L) last year which is only 8lbs. IIRC the much bigger 30" version only adds 1lb.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

The Tumi is real nice , but too much $$$$ for me ,
I would like to shed 5 pounds if possible so I can bring more presents there and more shopping for me coming home
Old May 4, 2019, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hard suitcases can't expand to give you more room though can they?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
Hard suitcases can't expand to give you more room though can they?
I agree , maybe one hardside and one soft side ?

If I could find a softside shell that was lightweight that would be great , I have a bunch of then , and I think they were made for car travel and not airplane weight limits ! They are 15-18lbs each.

So still looking

​​​​​
Old May 5, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: *G
Wheeled duffel is what you're looking for. Structured on one side and soft/expandable on others. About 10# for huge capacity. Check out from REI, including their house brand
Old May 5, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
Wheeled duffel is what you're looking for. Structured on one side and soft/expandable on others. About 10# for huge capacity. Check out from REI, including their house brand
Thanks , I will look at those ,
Looking on Google there seems to be some full size ones at 8-10 pounds , really just a case with 4 small wheels and a handle ,
Normally I have the trolley at the airport for the suitcases and push it out to the taxi , so I do not need wheels that roll for miles.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.