Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:29 am

Silver or black? Which do you guys prefer?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I would get the Cabin Plus. It fits in the DL A220 domestic F class bins, even with their size limiting divider in there. E-175 with no issues. I've used mine on all travels (domestic/international) in business/First class without issues. The extra space helps with international travel when you have to pack a suit, couple days of clothing, and gym clothes (Sneakers..etc).

I've you are flying AS DASH planes or any equivalent planes with limited luggage space, then I wouldn't recommend bringing the Rimowa, as it will be gate valet and perhaps damaged.
Thanks for the super prompt and helpful info! I’m leaning towards the Cabin+ because, as rightfully you point out, I can actually carry more stuff, including sneakers and a more clothing.

Out of curiosity, when you’ve travelled internationally, have you had any issues taking your Cabin+ on KL, AF, LH, etc? This is also what I’m a tad worried about. (I currently have a TUMI Alpha Continental and have never had any issues yet.)
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Thanks for the super prompt and helpful info! I’m leaning towards the Cabin+ because, as rightfully you point out, I can actually carry more stuff, including sneakers and a more clothing.

Out of curiosity, when you’ve travelled internationally, have you had any issues taking your Cabin+ on KL, AF, LH, etc? This is also what I’m a tad worried about. (I currently have a TUMI Alpha Continental and have never had any issues yet.)

I’ve never had any issue with the Cabin Plus anywhere in the world except ever. It’s a great bag also for short international trips when you need extra space and don’t want to take a check in bag.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-DFW
I’ve never had any issue with the Cabin Plus anywhere in the world except ever. It’s a great bag also for short international trips when you need extra space and don’t want to take a check in bag.
Thanks for the additional data point. You write that you've never had any issues with Cabin+ anywhere "except ever". Was there a specific place or region where you had an issue and were forced to check-in your luggage?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:18 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Never any issues; even on low cost carrier Whiz Air using their extra cost ticket.
UVAhoo06 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Just to add some data points, I used the cabin plus on the following airlines with no problems at all wrt its size:
- Legacy carriers: TK, LH, AF, KL, AA,UA, DL, EK, QF, SQ
- Budget carriers: Ryanair (with +1 cabin bag allowance), Cebu Pacific (surprisingly no issue at all, I read somewhere they're very strict), Anadolu Jet, Pegasus, Easy Jet (with +1 cabin bag allowance)
The only time I almost had a problem was with Vueling in Europe; they said the bag is too big before boarding. They asked me to put it in the baggage sizer, where my bag surprisingly fit right in! So I was able to take it to the plane.

I have a black one. I used to have a silver one. I don't know why, but the black one creates some sort of an illusion that it looks smaller than the silver one
UVAhoo06 likes this.

Last edited by flyjfk; Mar 3, 2024 at 6:46 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the additional data point. You write that you've never had any issues with Cabin+ anywhere "except ever". Was there a specific place or region where you had an issue and were forced to check-in your luggage?
oops, sorry for the typo. I meant to say I’ve never had any issues anywhere except for one time in Bombay checking in on Qatar Airways to Doha in business class. The issue was not the size of the bag, but the total weight of the carry-ons, but I was able to get through.

I’ve never had any issues taking this bag in-flight, and having it fit in the overhead bin or any gate agents questioning the size. But then again, I am in a position where I’m boarding first and flying in the business or first cabins on most flights.
UVAhoo06 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
The Cabin Plus 49L, like its predecessor the Limbo 45L, has been with me around the world and never had any problem bringing it on board.

The few times that I was forced to check it and got those scratches and nicks were when I got to the gate late due to a close connecting flight and they will not let me bring it onboard, once even when I was in F.

So you WILL have to check the 49L sometime.
UVAhoo06 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
The Cabin Plus 49L, like its predecessor the Limbo 45L, has been with me around the world and never had any problem bringing it on board.

The few times that I was forced to check it and got those scratches and nicks were when I got to the gate late due to a close connecting flight and they will not let me bring it onboard, once even when I was in F.

So you WILL have to check the 49L sometime.
Great to know! Out of curiosity, were most of these times when you needed to check the bag on domestic or international flights? And was this typically on UA (I see that you're 1K)?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Great to know! Out of curiosity, were most of these times when you needed to check the bag on domestic or international flights? And was this typically on UA (I see that you're 1K)?
A tight connection can happen anywhere in the world on any airline. It has nothing to do with United or with 1K
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Hi! How does the Titanium aka gold one hold? Are the scratches really visible? I still consider adding the Cabin Plus to my set. As for now, I owe the light blue cabin one, and I must say, that they are clearly visible there.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:41 pm

It's good to know that the Original Cabin Plus fits in most overhead bins and that folks have been able to take it aboard without a problem.

I'm now contemplating between the Original Cabin Plus and Classic Cabin. Does anyone have any advice about the Classic Cabin and how it stacks up against the Original Cabin Plus (other than size)?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:56 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It's good to know that the Original Cabin Plus fits in most overhead bins and that folks have been able to take it aboard without a problem.

I'm now contemplating between the Original Cabin Plus and Classic Cabin. Does anyone have any advice about the Classic Cabin and how it stacks up against the Original Cabin Plus (other than size)?
With both having compression dividers now; it’s purely aesthetics.

If you want accessories; most are built for the non classic series.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
With both having compression dividers now; it’s purely aesthetics.

If you want accessories; most are built for the non classic series.
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward Original Cabin Plus -- just because of the additional room.

What's interesting, though, is that I'm able to fit most of what I need in my TUMI Alpha International rollaboard, which is 35L. The Classic Carryon is 36 L, so it still fits my needs, I think.

I'm really torn!!!! Anyone have any additional advice on which piece I should invest in?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL
I have almost the same dilemma and was close to getting the Cabin Plus (in addition to Cabin and Compact), but as for now, I suspended the idea.
For me, there are two key aspects:
1) The possibility of taking it onboard - if it will not be checked by agents. When flying in economy without proper status level, they may classify it as over the limit. And sometimes also weight may be an issue. The overhead bins should be OK, but the limits are not. So there may be a significant risk. But, if you fly business all the time, this may not be the issue for you.
2) Additional space - like do I really need it? OK, it is significantly bigger than Cabin, but most of my trips are rather short ones, so Cabin is enough, even during the winter. And when I go for a longer time, I usually prefer to do some shopping there, so due to liquid restrictions (and weight) I prefer to have checked luggage.
Original Cabin is slightly bigger inside than the Classic, but the Classic is a sort of icon of the design. So, if you need every liter of capacity, go for Original, but if you prefer the design, then Classic should be your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.